USD for Vmax from a Suzuki?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redbone

Reaction score
Over on the Yahoo Tech list I saw a post about using a Suzuki vs800 USD setup. Not sure I'm wild about the cutting and rewelding the "center stem". Does anybody have any thoughts on this USD setup? They also mentioned a Mean Streak USD.
(note: edited due to format differences.)

MY QUESTION: "What is needed to use the Suzuki VZ800/ Mean Streak USD as far as the triple clamps? I don't understand the statement that "you can use the stock and remove 10mm from the center?" I take it that fender options would have to be custom if I still wanted a 18" tire/ wheel combo?
I'm wanting to retain close to stock ground clearance, How long is the suzuki USD compared to a stock Vmax? (Axle to top of fork tube) I'm already running progressive springs that have the 2" internal drop so hopefully it's within a couple inches of a stock vmax length."

OLIVERS REPLY: "The part about the vz800 triple clamp is it is 10MM longer then the vmax triples. You need to cut 10mm out of the center stem(and weld it back together) then it will fit into the vmax stock fork neck.
You will need to drill out the other fork leg mounting tabs as Suzuki only used a single disc on these models. Also you need to make adapter brackets to mount brake calipers on those legs. I used hayabusa wheels (17") front and rear because I wanted matching wheels but you can keep the vmax wheel,it will bring the front end very close to stock.
I hope this info helps! Oliver
"

What other USD's out there are close to the stock Vmax fork lenght?

Without seeing it, why didn't he just add a 10mm spacer to the top bearing?:confused2:

Over on the Yahoo Tech list I saw a post about using a Suzuki vs800 USD setup. Not sure I'm wild about the cutting and rewelding the "center stem". Does anybody have any thoughts on this USD setup? They also mentioned a Mean Streak USD.
(note: edited due to format differences.)
Do not go with these. Single rotor? On v-max? No...you need at least 43mm forks and double rotor brake system at least 300mm diameter.

Many sports bikes runs with 43mm forks, lot of them on ebay.
I've choose zx10r model couse it cheap and lot of them on ebay.
Just bought 2007 forks for 230$ in mint condition.

Now im fabricating my own fork extensions and tripple trees.

You can reuse donnor trees, you just need to fabricate you own steam or reuse stock one but that would not be simple.
I found that zx10r(for example) stem is closer to forks about 12mm so you will lose some turning angle, not a big deal anyway.

So that why im fabricating my own trees. They are not ready yet so cant give any specific details, i hope 2-3 weeks to finish the project.

What other USD's out there are close to the stock Vmax fork lenght?
Absolutly none of modern inverted forks.Pretty evry ones are shorter over 100mm so fork extensions or lowered tripple trees needed.

Look here, you may be intrested:
forkconversiondetails.jpg

One more question:
Why to cut the steam?
Most tripple trees have aluminium brackets with steel steam pressed into it.
Welding, cuting?

Ok, that's why I brought the question here. Thanks for insight and information.
I am just looking at different applications that work but really do not want to reinvent the wheel. Not even sure I'd go with or need a USD but I like to see the different possibilities. Thanks again! :thumbs up:

Converting stock wheel to any kind of fork should be no problem.

You have old type 40mm forks? Right.

So if you dont want change to much just upgrade yourself with new 43mm forks with progressive springs.

Back