V Boost and Carb Tuning ?'s

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

06x6spdGTO

Reaction score
I am noobie here and i had a couple small questions. First off when i quickly go to WOT on my Max it has a slight pause and kind of a shudder then it finally starts to rapup and pull hard. my friends 04 Vrod seems to get going about half as fast as my max. but once i get with it, it goes like a raped ape!! i was wondering what to do to fix it? also i the Vboost Controller really worth it or can u just turn the key to on and unplug the vboost motor (makes it run lumpy like a cam), also can there be any harm done by doing this?

I am noobie here and i had a couple small questions. First off when i quickly go to WOT on my Max it has a slight pause and kind of a shudder then it finally starts to rapup and pull hard. my friends 04 Vrod seems to get going about half as fast as my max. but once i get with it, it goes like a raped ape!! i was wondering what to do to fix it? also i the Vboost Controller really worth it or can u just turn the key to on and unplug the vboost motor (makes it run lumpy like a cam), also can there be any harm done by doing this?

Sounds like dirty carbs or needs carb adjustment. Put seafoam cleaner in the tank and check air fuel mixture screw adjustment (should be around 2.5 turns out). Also a good time to do a carb sync - more info on carb tune VMF links icon above - check the VmaxOutlaw site under tech icon and go to carb section - click on CV Carb Tuning Guide.

Vboost controller is an easy on off setup and IMO worth the effort - but you can unplug the vboost servo motor after 1st cycle off vboost with key off - now vboost open all the time - would also unplug vboost controller (under left scoop) both round electrical plugs - this way it can`t short out by power surge.

Mike

i dont know if it makes a difference or not but the bike has the Dyno Jet STg 1 kit in it, also a k&n, NGK irridium plugs, and the bike came from Minnesota to Nebraska. i will try the seafoam tho.

Where at in Nebraska?

With slip-on exhausts use the stock needles if you still have them.

Mark

Totally off the subject, but I've got a goat also and I love it. Hopefully I'll be building a stroker next winter.

I Live in Kearney Neb, To the man with the Goat are you on the ls2gto.com forum? Ive got the maggie on my goat it dynoed out at 460RWhp.

On a TOTAL side note here...

I ordered my new Pontiac (Holden) G8GT today...:banana:

Panther Black Metallic with black leather interior with full sport package. I'm leasing it, but still plan on a couple mods like CAI, tune and exhaust.:thumbs up:

It won't sound like yours but it should be a great daily driver.

this might sound a bit formilliar tnt performance did major rework on my carbs with stage 1 i have low and normal v boost activaded by a toggle switch . at 55 mph roll on the gas with it in the low posisition it kinda sputters and doesnt pull the best flip the switch takes off like a bat out of hell

On a TOTAL side note here...

I ordered my new Pontiac (Holden) G8GT today...:banana:

Panther Black Metallic with black leather interior with full sport package. I'm leasing it, but still plan on a couple mods like CAI, tune and exhaust.:thumbs up:

It won't sound like yours but it should be a great daily driver.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhPEuh0IpMA
the best exhaust is SLP LM I or Bassani if your leaving the standard mid pipes!! (of course mine has the additional maggie) but look into some CSL replica rims for that G8 im about ready to drop the hammer on a set.

this might sound a bit formilliar tnt performance did major rework on my carbs with stage 1 i have low and normal v boost activaded by a toggle switch . at 55 mph roll on the gas with it in the low posisition it kinda sputters and doesnt pull the best flip the switch takes off like a bat out of hell

that is about exactly how mine acts, i think im gna take it to kearney yamaha and have them go over the carbs. the bike has about 6,200 miles on it and im pretty sure the needles have never been gone through.

if i unhook my vboost the bike runs like total S**t. spurts and pops but sounds like that goat on idle!!!

Well i got the Vmax dynoed today and i was wondering what is wrong with it. is it too rich? right at about 6200 when vboost kicks in the graph gets super unstable!! it dynoed 98 Rwhp and 75 Rwtq. WTF.
VmaxDynograph2.jpg

Vmaxdynograph1-1.jpg

http://s245.photobucket.com/albums/gg48/06x6spdGTO/?action=view&current=VmaxDyno.flv

They didn't stick a wideband O2 probe down one of the cans? If they did ask the dyno shop for a graph of your Air Fuel Ratio. What altitude are you at? Who installed the jet kit? Have you done the on road testing to get a approximate feel for if the jetting is good? There is a guide on here that goes through what to do for that. When is the last time your carbs were sync'd?

They didn't stick a wideband O2 probe down one of the cans? If they did ask the dyno shop for a graph of your Air Fuel Ratio. What altitude are you at? Who installed the jet kit? Have you done the on road testing to get a approximate feel for if the jetting is good? There is a guide on here that goes through what to do for that. When is the last time your carbs were sync'd?

no they didnt use the wideband o2 probe, i just had it dynoed at a bike show, 3 pulls for 30 bucks!! elevation is 2130 feet, ive done the on road testing and im running 91 octane, also the temp during dyno was 50 degrees, i dont know who did the jet kit i just bought the bike last weekend, it has about 6k miles on it. i also have no idea the last time the carbs were synced. im starting to wonder if the spark plug gap isnt right. a SC'd car also get that inconsistence in the graph at high rpm if the gap is off. the owner before me installed NGK TR6 Irridium plugs so i dont know if the gap is right.

You have to be real carefull gapping iridiums or you will mess them up. A lot of people also just toss in spark plugs how they got em and never bother gapping. Also wrong heat range possibly.

no they didnt use the wideband o2 probe, i just had it dynoed at a bike show, 3 pulls for 30 bucks!! elevation is 2130 feet, ive done the on road testing and im running 91 octane, also the temp during dyno was 50 degrees, i dont know who did the jet kit i just bought the bike last weekend, it has about 6k miles on it. i also have no idea the last time the carbs were synced. im starting to wonder if the spark plug gap isnt right. a SC'd car also get that inconsistence in the graph at high rpm if the gap is off. the owner before me installed NGK TR6 Irridium plugs so i dont know if the gap is right.

Trapps and other slipons generally don't need a jet kit.
I installed a stage 1 on mine and it was noticably rich. when I put it back to normal it ran much better. I'll post the numbers when I get the engine broken in. I too am running trapps.

My setup now is: T-Boost, K&N filter, NGK plugs, Trapps with 9 disks.

More then likely your A/F is off.

not sure on the iridum's. Gap we run is .035"

You are likely rich since aftermarket slip'ons usually like leaner main jets. Likely the carbs may have a stage 1 jet kit and is dumping too much fuel too.

Oh, and by the way. I have a GOAT! You guys just have a couple of badged imports (sorry to bag on you but the new GTO's never have really earned the title in my opinion - they are one of the few offerings that are worth having though).

Sean

Back