Value of a vmax with a bad 2nd gear (cost to fix)?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RivMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, and have a couple of questions.

I'm looking at picking up a 91 vmax, 30k miles, with a slipping 2nd gear. The bike is a bit dirty, but looks to be in ok shape. The front forks seem to be dry, but it runs great.

How much am I looking at to have the 2nd gear fixed up? What would the bike be worth now, and all fixed up?

Thanks
-Rob

Fixing that second gear, providing it isn't a shift segment, requires the cases to be split to fix. The cost of that varies on the amount of mechanical abilities of the owner. Plus cost of parts.

There is a clean '02 with under 6k on the clock, thats on eBay right now thats going for $5500 at the moment and an '85 with 30k for $2900 with no bids.

I'd say a nice an clean 91 should fetch in the $4-5k range, with a bum trans that needs to be fixed, I'd say $2000. but with the engine apart it would be a good time to freshen it up and put 30k of your own miles on it.

+1 on that,i just recently swapped my tranny gears from my old 86 engine to an 85 and you need to dissasemble a pretty good portion of the bike just to get the engine out,completely drain all fluids out flip it upside down and split that case.very time consuming for me but if you take the time it's not that bad.It's a great way to get to know your bike.you said your forks are dry?as in all leaked out?replaceing those seals is fun also and would suggest as most people on here would to replace the springs with progressive springs or other,gets a better ride,better perf and does away with needing air in the forks.Lots of things you can get for these beasts in the aftermarket out there but it also means investing a bit of time and $$$ but if you ask me it's worth every cent spent.I love my Max and they still turn alot of heads out there.If you decide to buy it and do the work yourself you can count on finding a ton of info here to help you along,these guys on here have been a huge help to me:punk:good luck

Thanks for the heads up guys. I was offered the bike as a trade for my car. I currently have an 07 Speed Triple, so I doubt I'd keep the Max (Even though it was my dream bike before I set eyes on the Speedie.)

I'm fairly handy, and I'm looking for a new winter project... What is the approx. cost for parts to tear down and fix the trans? It shifts fine, but over 50% throttle in 2nd, it feels like someone is repeatedly grabbing and releasing the clutch.

The forks bottomed out once when I was test riding the bike, so I figure they're in need of a re-build. The rest of the bike is dirty, and will probably get a nice dose of powdercoating / chroming if I do keep it.

Thanks
-Rob

I'd contact Sean Morley ( one2dmax ). He could pretty much break down the costs of repair, plus offer up some gear back-cutting and the Venture 5th gear to lower your cruising RPM's

The Venture 5th gear option coupled with the Venture rear diff will add some mileage to that tank.

hey bro, we always welcome new blood to the fold BUT, First off I'm thinking there is probably a better candidate for you to experience the lure of the Max for probably just a bit more cash. I seem to have more time than cash so if I could score a clean bike with a bad second gear for a grand or real close to that, I would make the leap. Changing out the gear is a job and for a newbie, I think would be a dis-service for this Forum to not say so. Heck, you may be a mechanical whiz but what a bummer to make the fix and reinstall only to find out something wasn't done right. I've got plenty of patience but I would be bummed to start over again. You'll love a Max for a hundred different reasons than your Triumph if you make the change. Choose wisely!

Sounds like you want to buy the bike, fix it, and turn it for a profit and not own one for yourself. No problem with that at all on my end but you might actually like owning one. I do have a 2005 for sale with one of my overdrives installed and only looking for $6500 for it.

However, if you want to fix that one I have the transmission worksheet attached. This does not include labor for the R&R ($500). It's not all that hard to get the engine out but can be intimidating for someone who has never done it before.

A few of the guys on here have transmissions we have prepped and can tell you more info about it.

Sean

Attachments

• Sample_Trans_Repair.doc
    61 KB · Views: 202

Latest posts

Back