Valve cover direction

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midmoraider

Reaction score
Hey all, I adjusted my valves today because I had two leaking valve cover gaskets and figured what the hell. Everybody wasn't joking, this job SUCKED.

Anyway, got it all done and am ready to put everything back together. Problem is, I didn't pay alot of attention to the orientation of the covers when I removed them. Which way do the arrows that are on the inside casting supposed to point? My manual doesn't say and I couldn't find anything under the search here. Also, I guess you cut the tab between the new gaskets? And does the little triangle thingy on the gasket go in the same direction as the arrow on the cover? Thanks.

Okay, I figured out the orientation of the gaskets on the cover, but still need to know which way the arrow on the casting of the covers need to point.

One other thing, I drained and pulled the carbs yesterday to make as much room as possible. Will not having fuel in the bowls for a couple of days hurt anything? Thanks.

The arrows inside ethe cover, and the triangular casting "pointer", go toward the direction of the exhaust ports. Not sure why...I marked mine when they came off the bike for the first time and that's how they were.

The carbs should be fine I think, give 'em a little massage/tap with something soft when you turn the key on and fill 'em for the first time to make sure the floats don't stick, but even if you don't they should be fine.

If you notice the covers aren't symmetrical, next to the spark plug theres a shallow curved indent, its not straight there, if you know what i mean...

Both are correct. But as was already pointed out the arrow on the inside points towards the exhaust sides of the heads.
Sean

I haven't got an address yet. So, if you don't hear from me by the 1st then we can just have it sent back here.

Sean

Back