valve cover gasket instaliation

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaximum

Reaction score
hey guys, me again... question is do i use any rtv on valve cover gaskets? book says use grease or what not to hold gasket in place but was looking on aftermarket advise? i have them on hand tight waiting to pick up a torque wrench tommorow.

alos: any tips on torquing these down? dont think i will be able to get all the screws with the torque wrench. do i just get as many and get a feel for where they are at and feel out the rest by hand? cross pattern inside out? 1/2 turn at a time is what i was thinking? thanks -Rob-

:punk:I only use the RTV to hold them in place while installing the covers. If you already have them on and had no problem I don't think you need any. My bolts bottom out when tight so no torque wrench was needed. I just used Allen wrench till they were tight and quit turning. They don't have to be too tight to seal, rubber gaskets work well. Good luck, Spur

They are a bottom out type bolt as noted so no real torque wrench needed. I don't use any gasket sealer or other adhesive but they can be tricky to do without it.

Sean

DEfinately be careful. I twisted off one of my valve cover bolts with very little effort with a wrench. Now I just use an allen wrench and hand tight.
I did use a small bead of rtv in the U cutout on the sides. The new gaskets just don't want to keep a seal like the old ones did.

I use black high temp silicone to keep um in place to install. Helps seal too. Reused old ones once with the silicone, didn't want to wait for new gaskets(nice day) no leaks.
I'm not Torque wrench crazy for every bolt on my bike. Tight is tight.
Steve

ya i used a bit of rtv just to hold it and i felt the screws bottom out, good idea designing that, well if it dont leak ill say that. ill let you know how she goes. im still working on getting my exhaust on and carbs. thanks guys

Back