vibration in handlebars

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr.n2o

Reaction score
Anybody try that "bar snake" that is supposed to dampen the buzzing vibration through the bars ? My friggin hands keep goin numb after about 45 min. at a constant rpm

Haven't done my bars yet, but many suggest weighted bar ends or "Vibranators".(google it)
or filling handlebars with sand/buckshot, etc...

What buzzing ?

Blue '90 - 17 " Lightcons w/ Michelin P.P. Radials , Race Tech springs . ( soon to be upgraded ) .

C. F. / Black metallic '98 - 17 " Kaw ZX 750R wheels w/ Michelin P.P. 2 CT Radials & USD forks .

Maybe it's the Iso grips .

Attachments

• DSC01824.jpg
    DSC01824.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 51
  • DSC01923.jpg
    DSC01923.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 45
don't waste your time on bar snakes.

Thanks guys....gonna give the vibranators a shot. Wait, I think my wife already has one :rofl_200:

I'm guessing you already checked the steering bearings and tire pressure.
Then Like Vmax NV said, try heavier bar end weights

Pack your bars with lead birdshot before dumping money on the Vibranators.

Also a set of heavy bar end weights in addition to the shot works wonders.

Anybody try that "bar snake" that is supposed to dampen the buzzing vibration through the bars ? My friggin hands keep goin numb after about 45 min. at a constant rpm

I have the bar-snake in my handlebars. Night and day difference. Before my hands went numb fairly quick, now its non-existant. I couldn't use a bar mounted camera either it would vibrate and destroy the video. Now, I get a nice clear picture. The camera is not padded anywhere in the mounting, The mount just bolts to where my stock left mirror used to be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qf71tEfx1NU

I installed solid motor mounts and immediately could not see out of my mirrors without clutching the motor, and my hands would go numb in just a few miles, completely intolerable.

Installed a set of Kuryakyn Iso-Grips and was a definite improvement, no worries at all. But I still couldn't see out the mirrors without pulling in the clutch.

This last go round on my bike modifications I bought a set of Pro-Taper "Carmichael Bend" SE-Seven Eights series Dirt bike handle bars with the bolt on cross piece and the pad that says Pro-Taper, mainly cause by buddy Antwerks has them on his max and they feel just right, and I couldn't use my drag bars anymore due to the high tank cover style I had. He put them on his Max after seeing a set on my XR650 and deciding they were a good fit for the Max. I would have never thought of that.

I fgured with the cross bar on there it was going to make the vibration way worse. It didn't, my mirrors are rock steady now.....

Plus the dirt bike handle bars have an awesome fit and feel to the Vmax, just a little rise and a little pullback without the sit up and beg style the stockers have or the bent over and taking it style of the drag bars...Plus they don't hit my new paint job.

thats good to remember rusty. would u do motor mounts again? if i ever pull my engine rubber ones are going back in.

thats good to remember rusty. would u do motor mounts again? if i ever pull my engine rubber ones are going back in.

Yes I would. I feel that installing solid mounts helped stiffen the bike up and make the engine a stressed member. It did seem to help handling issues that arose when going through high speed sweepers when the bike would kinda wallow and sway like the whole frame was twisting.

Before I installed the Kuryakyns grips I was reasy to yank them out tho, the grips eased my ill will against the solid mounts.

The mounts are only a small piece of a whole lot of answers to the Vmax's handling woes of course.

Did all your control cables and lines fit?

You asking me?

If so, yes they did, the bars are about the same width as the stockers I think. They are 31-32 inches wide...And a little lower than the stockers without as many severe bends...

They were also only about $65

Yes I would. I feel that installing solid mounts helped stiffen the bike up and make the engine a stressed member. It did seem to help handling issues that arose when going through high speed sweepers when the bike would kinda wallow and sway like the whole frame was twisting.

Before I installed the Kuryakyns grips I was reasy to yank them out tho, the grips eased my ill will against the solid mounts.

The mounts are only a small piece of a whole lot of answers to the Vmax's handling woes of course.

i didn't notice a difference at all from handling, just more vibes. but i also had exactrep frame braces.

i didn't notice a difference at all from handling, just more vibes. but i also had exactrep frame braces.

I can't remember what order I did my stuff in, although the Fork brace, Holeshot frame braces and engine mounts were the first three.

I didn't consider the issues really cured unitl I did the swingarm bracing, front fork RaceTech springs and emulators, Works performance rear shocks and Radial tires front and back. Handles like a dream now but honestly can't say what was the most effective.........

I will throw my hat into the ring here regarding the effectiveness of the SMM.

If you do a search you will find that there are a number of varying reviews regarding the effectiveness of the solid motor mounts. Depending on whether you already have frame braces or not really determines how much they will do.

When I installed mine last year, my bike was completely stock. The change between completely stock and solid motor mounts was night and day. It no longer felt like sweeping turns with some undulations in the road surface caused the front and rear ends of the bike to try and take separate tracks.

I did however pick up the normal vibrations in the bars and mirrors. Enough to make the mirrors essentially useless when cruising at highway speeds (I could tell there was something behind me but I couldn't distinguish if it was a VW bug or a cement mixer). I ended up adding Kurkian ISO grips, lead shot in the bar and a set of heavy bar end weights. The vibration is all but gone at this point.

If I were to do it over again, I think I might have gone the direction of the frame braces for three reasons.
1. They seem to be nearly as effective as the solid motor mounts
2. They don't transmit the vibrations as badly
3. They are MUCH easier to install (that left side rear SMM is a sonfoabitch to get in)

Just cut an old ac or alternator v belt and run it thru the handlebars. It's cheap, easy, and works. No-one is going to see it anyway. Used this trick for years.

Just cut an old ac or alternator v belt and run it thru the handlebars. It's cheap, easy, and works. No-one is going to see it anyway. Used this trick for years.

I used a piece of 3/4" solid o-ring rubber in the latest set of bars that I constructed. Works great!
But...may be hard to get unless you go to an industrial supply store, or order in.
I'd try Mr. Treeslayer's idea first. Belts are cheap and abundant. Just take a wee walk along any roadway......:biglaugh:
Cheers!

I used a piece of 3/4" solid o-ring rubber in the latest set of bars that I constructed. Works great!
But...may be hard to get unless you go to an industrial supply store, or order in.
I'd try Mr. Treeslayer's idea first. Belts are cheap and abundant. Just take a wee walk along any roadway......:biglaugh:
Cheers!

Looks like McMaster has rubber rods

Back