vmax fan switch vs a lower temp unit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidwin

Reaction score
I saw on Vmax Outlaw he sells a temp unit that allows the fans to come on 20 degrees sooner.

I searched and didn't see any DIY on a switch setup. Would you all recommend the switch vs the kit from outloaw?

Thanks,
Sid

I would think the switch is better. I used a toggle switch and jumpered the 2 wire temperature sending unit

+ 1 switch , don't wait for the temp to go up at a light , turn it on when you stop in hot weather. :clapping:

Either a fan switch for an '88 Nissan Sentra or Borg Warner TFS545. You'll have
to re-use your o-ring. Works great on the hot days of summer sitting in traffic.
Steve-0

[QUOTE=sidwin;133698]I saw on Vmax Outlaw he sells a temp unit that allows the fans to come on 20 degrees sooner.

I searched and didn't see any DIY on a switch setup. Would you all recommend the switch vs the kit from outloaw?

Thanks,
Sid[/QUOTE]I saw on Vmax Outlaw he sells a temp unit that allows the fans to come on 20 degrees sooner.
I bought this unit for my 85 years ago and it works great. Just remove the factory unit and his plugs right in, simple and quick. It kept my 85 running cool.

I think the manual switch's a better idea too. My '86 came with one of those lower temp switches, and being in FL, I thought that was a good thing. Fan kicks in as soon as the gauge goes just past half-way up, which is great in slow traffic on hot days.

BUT, I then found out that the fan was on all the time at highway speeds too, when it didn't need to be as there is sufficient cooling while on the move. I realized that this was somehow hitting my fuel economy (95 miles a tank to reserve), so I fitted a manual switch to turn the fan off (!) and started seeing up to 105 miles to a tank. Go figure..

So, manual switch all the - just turn it on early on hot days, and let the OEM sensor take care of it the rest of the time.

I have tried both the vmaxoutlaw lower themostat swap and a switch. This is my third vmax and I am running a switch at this time since you control when it comes on instead of the thermostat doing it. I am really partial to both since the thermostat from vmaxoutlaw worked flawlessly keeping my vmax always below the halfway mark whereas the switch you need to always keep an eye on the temperature to throw the switch on and eventually off too. Its all really personal preference!

Good luck,

Mike
VMOA#2116
MD Chapter Leader

there is many threads discussing it, basicaly jump the two wires going into the thermostat

take off your right scoop. then the radiator cap is there. there should be a plastic cover over it. Take the plastic cover off and you'll see the thermostat wires coming out the bottom.

Either a fan switch for an '88 Nissan Sentra or Borg Warner TFS545. You'll have
to re-use your o-ring. Works great on the hot days of summer sitting in traffic.
Steve-0

http://www.amazon.com/Borg-Warner-T...0BZFF86/ref=pd_ts_auto_6?ie=UTF8&s=automotive i found it there and autozone has the sentra fan switch.

does anyone know what the current fan switch on and off settings are and what i should be trying to get it down to? Vmax Outlaw said 20 degrees but he didn't say what stock was at. I found the switch at autozone for only $10 bucks.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/ca...+Fan+Switch+-+Radiator&store=3042&searchText=

Thanks,
Sid

I recently bought an over-ride switch from ebay which is simple to install and works great (my sender unit was stuffed so I took the easy way out (I think) and by-passed it)... you then switch on or off when required....

personaly for me I am going with the lower temp unit for the simple fact I want to be able to consentrate more on the road without worrying about watching my temp. That's a better way of saying I'm lazy:punk:

Back