Vmax starter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are you shure its the starter and not the clutch making the noise?

the starter is easy to take apart and inspect. and repair as well.

the starter clutch will make odd noises when its ailing.
however if you do end up replacing it.<the starter>...may as well get the better 4 brush unit as the older bikes have the 2 brush starter, that one you are looking at on ebay looks like it may be the newer one as they are readilay available in many places for that same price, but id check the part # to be shure...i see they dont specify in the description.

Nope im not sure. I know that sometimes when I start it it sounds like odd. I realize that odd is a terrible description but cant describe it. I will take a video of what its doing and let me know what you think. Thanks for the response either way though. Im somewhat new to bike mechanics but am getting into it and my friends really good with this kind of thing so I will have him take a look too.

That's a good price on a starter though I am not sure of the quality? If you have what sounds like a box of rocks rolling around then it's not the starter. It's the starter clutch.

Sean

Sounds like you could use a fresher battery or check/clean your connections. My Li-ion Ballistic battery spins much faster.

It does start (your bike). It just sounds like a low battery, bad connections, but not necessarily a bad starter to me. What does a multimeter show for a static voltage read, and what does the battery show when the starter is engaged? There is a great sticky 'RaWarrior" did about electrical troubleshooting. Plus there are amy other threads about electrical issues you can read, but ultimately, I think one thing will be mentioned over-and-over: start with a fresh battery and good connections. If you don't have a good battery and properly-operating charging system, it affects your bike and will have you chasing rabbits down holes when you don't need to. The ignition igniter box also needs a strong and steady 12+ volts to work correctly.

Read your multimeter values and then decide what is bad.

oh it does start it. It failed to start it one day and I had to push her home . Thought I might have a heart attack that day. lol got her home and later that night it started right up. So now I dont drive it far until I get the starting issue fixed.

sounds like the starter clutch. when it turns over slow like that its hard on the clutch. you have a electrical issue of some sort....weak battery....low charging voltage ....etc...all of wich you should check. and also it sounds like either yer carbs are dirty or in need of a good sync.

but....that is a fantastic loking bike for an 89!!

Yea it was in great condition when I got it. 16454 miles, kerker 4-2-1 exhaust, engine guards, drag bars with riser, aftermarket mirrors, new tires front and back, good breaks and I got it for 2100.

+1 on everything that's been said already.

Sounds to me like you have two problems.
The carbs need some TLC, I think the difficulty in starting when hot is a carb issue. It was turning over good enough to start if it was an "easy starter"
But your battery isn't passing the load test your giving it.
Your battery is weak probably due to "all the usuals" in the long list of electrical weaknesses these bikes have.

I'd start with a fresh quality battery and then troubleshoot the charging system first.
Then rebuild the carbs and synch em.

The only time I heard the starter clutch make the death knell rattle seemed like when you'd already knocked the wind out of the battery. The starter clutch needs to be hit hard, if the battery is weak it will let go, slip, regrab and making that banging sound which eventually destroys the clutch.

My guess is your starter and starter clutch are both ok for now.

4 pole starters are better but not as a band aid for another problem.

Back