Vmax Touring

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icecold

Reaction score
any stories, ride reports or pics from some of you hooligans??
I cant shake the thought of touring the lower 48 on a Vmax out of my head.

and remember
:ttiwwp:

and remember

No stories, and I may have asked you this already?

Where in IA are you from?

With my back issues, touring is NOT for me, unless it's in one of my cages.

Just north of Des Moines on Saylorville Lake, Polk City.
Dont have a Vmax yet, but it is the bike of my dreams.
Sorry about your back issues.

Gotta go ask on ADVrider, if anyone is going to do it, some crazy from that site will.

Longest trip I took on a Max is Dallas to the Outer Banks and back. Approx 3500 miles in 7 days. Did Deals Gap and Blue Ridge Parkway on that trip. Next longest is Dallas to Big Bend. About 1300-1400 miles in 3 days. Several shorter weekend trips. Have other long trips but not on a Max. Only concessions to comfort were a Corbin seat, OEM windshield, old early 1980's BagMan saddlebags and a rollbag (both since retired and replaced with much better Nelson-Rigg gear).

Longest trip I took on a Max is Dallas to the Outer Banks and back. Approx 3500 miles in 7 days. Did Deals Gap and Blue Ridge Parkway on that trip. Next longest is Dallas to Big Bend. About 1300-1400 miles in 3 days. Several shorter weekend trips. Have other long trips but not on a Max. Only concessions to comfort were a Corbin seat, OEM windshield, old early 1980's BagMan saddlebags and a rollbag (both since retired and replaced with much better Nelson-Rigg gear).
Excellent, thanks!

Gotta go ask on ADVrider, if anyone is going to do it, some crazy from that site will.
I spend quite a bit of time over there but i hadnt seen anything on the subject and i thought if any group would know it would be this lot. I'll check over there as well though.

My longest so far has been from Sacramento to the coast and then down the Pacific Coast Highway to Santa Maria and back. In July I plan on going to Glacier Park in Montana.

I am with 4Gasem on the back issues...I have had two surgeries in 5 years...sucks. But I tough it out to ride! No touring for me...there is a few people on here from Iowa...we need to get a ride put together...imagine 15 Max's zipping down the highway....

I'm kind of interested in doing a couple longer trips, maybe that take an entire weekend or so. Problem is none of my buddies want to....day trippers only. One is married with the policy "do what you want during the day but you're home every night", and the other two both have seemingly random work schedules and can never secure several consecutive days off.

So if anyone in the western NY general area(I'm like 30 min from VT or mass) wants do a weekend trip sometime, hit me up...

too bad u missed out on pittsburgh trip last yr

I'm kind of interested in doing a couple longer trips, maybe that take an entire weekend or so. Problem is none of my buddies want to....day trippers only. One is married with the policy "do what you want during the day but you're home every night", and the other two both have seemingly random work schedules and can never secure several consecutive days off.

So if anyone in the western NY general area(I'm like 30 min from VT or mass) wants do a weekend trip sometime, hit me up...

We could figure something out some time...

I am with 4Gasem on the back issues...I have had two surgeries in 5 years...sucks. But I tough it out to ride! No touring for me...there is a few people on here from Iowa...we need to get a ride put together...imagine 15 Max's zipping down the highway....
Im game for that, but i dont have a Vmax yet. If i get the time i'll dig through my wifes purse and try to find my balls and maybe use them to stand up to her and tell her im getting one, or she'll just laugh and make me put them back where i found them.

and remember

I trip every year, but I have modified the bike a tad for this purpose. Still not nearly as good as a Wing or a sport-tourer, but I get by. I'm never in much of a hurry, and stop often to take pics, so a 300 - 400 mile day would be about average.
The last three years have been great - my wife was away, working on Baffin Island, so I didn't have a "things to do around the house" list to worry about, during the summer months. In '08 I made it to Yukon/Alaska,via the American midwest/Alberta/B.C., in '09 did the east coast as far south as Charleston, then last year I went up to the Northwest Territories, back home via the American southwest.
With "The wife" home again, I've got a lot of catching up to do, list-wise, but I do hope to get away to Newfoundland in July this year. Then in '012, comes the biggie - God/Wife/Max willing - from the east, across the south, up the west coast, to Alaska again, home via a northern Canadian route. Hope to personally meet up with many of the great people on this forum. I may have to sneak away for this trip, depending on how many house chores there might be. I'll load up the bike the night before, then in the morning call out.......
"I'm going to the store for a jug of milk, Honey" Might just work.
Cheers, Miles

Last year I went on a 12 day, close to 2500 mile trip with a small windshield and no cruise control but have a Morley Muscle seat. I originally had Sean do a full cut on the seat and it was a lot better, but I found on trips of 300+ mile days I noticed some stock seat soreness. So last year I had Sean reshape my seat into a flatter profile which made it into a "500+" mile seat.
I thinking about adding a cruise control but I don't want to clutter up the handlebar for everyday riding. I have tried the crampbuster style but it did not allow me to take my hand off the grip to relax. Here are a couple I am looking at:
Go Cruise Throttle Control low cost, easy to use, allow you to accelerate then go back to cruise speed (passing).
Vista Cruise Low cost, easy to use.
MadcoRider Expensive but a well made, sounds like it work well too. FJR Forum install and review. (Signup most likely required)

Last year I went on a 12 day, close to 2500 mile trip with a small windshield and no cruise control but have a Morley Muscle seat. I originally had Sean do a full cut on the seat and it was a lot better, but I found on trips of 300+ mile days I noticed some stock seat soreness. So last year I had Sean reshape my seat into a flatter profile which made it into a "500+" mile seat.
I thinking about adding a cruise control but I don't want to clutter up the handlebar for everyday riding. I have tried the crampbuster style but it did not allow me to take my hand off the grip to relax. Here are a couple I am looking at:
Go Cruise Throttle Control low cost, easy to use, allow you to accelerate then go back to cruise speed (passing).
MadcoRider Expensive but a well made, sounds like it work well too. FJR Forum install and review. (Signup most likely required)

I've installed a couple of these Brian and like them a lot. There is a slight amount of flex in the cross bar which allows small throttle input for hills, without changing the actual throttle position.

The Universal for 7/8" bars model....3rd one down

Vista Cruise

Well, I just ordered the Go Cruise Throttle Control which included free shipping, for a grand total of $19.95!:eusa_dance:
control bk_s.jpg
I'll put a review up once I have tested it.

I rode my 85 from New London CT to Iowa City in two days back in 87 alone. I'll never forget that. I got lost in New York city in a down pour at night. Then waited 4 hours for a 18 wheeler to be moved after it hit a concrete divider across the lanes on a bridge in PA. I had moved between the parked cars to the bridge, and was the first out of the gate when it was cleared. I had open road until the next exit. :rocket bike:
Running on fumes a few times.

I'm planning a trip to Colorado this summer for some fire road riding before I get to old. But I'm pulling a toy hauler with my DRZ's and will get the Vmax out for select sections of the road.

Thanks so much for the info and links, Red. I just ordered the Go Cruise. I love simplicity, and this piece sure looks like it will fill that bill. Eager to slap it on and cruise. Thanks, once more.

No one ever see this site before? LA to Houston in <36 hours

oregon-coast-haystacks.jpg

iron-butt-license-plate-frame.jpg

Latest posts

Back