Waited 29 years

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmc_61

Reaction score
hey all. I didn't see a new member intro section so I will just say hi here if its ok.

I was 24 in 1985 when the Vmax came out. I have wanted one ever since. I have bought and sold many bikes since 85 and even had a Vmax a few years ago that I took on a trade but sold it before I got it running.

Well Tuesday I drove 300 miles one way and picked up an 06 with 4800 miles on it. Got a great deal. Its never been ridden in rain or sat outside overnight.

I rode it for first time last night and since I was on a Road Star last week, it was odd riding the Max. I couldn't stop grinning. The 29 years it took for me to get one was worth it.

Attachments

• 2014-03-27 18.52.17.jpg
    2014-03-27 18.52.17.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 59
Welcome aboard! It took me many years to get one as well but the wait was worth it! Have fun and be careful . . .

Welcome to the club. The grinning ear to ear thing is a condition that will not go away in time, it is just something you have to get used to! :punk:

Interesting, I was also 24 in '85. Purchased my FIRST street bike in 2011. An '06 Vmax with 3700 miles. Rode snowmobiles, and atv's for 30+ yrs. even drag raced snowmobiles. Snowmobiles are gone now but now the Vmax puts a smile on my face every time out. It has been the perfect bike for me.

I was 21 when I showed up at the dealer and saw the purple Vmax. That was it for me! I put my money down and they sold the purple one but got me a maroon 86 for the same price so I was blissfully ignorant. Yeah, I wish I had the purple but it's in the works. Stick with this Forum and you'll learn this is a great bunch of guys, a wealth of insight and experience and the place to find parts and upgrades.
Yes there is a "Newbie" thread but we are all glad to have fresh meat. Don't be a stranger and we love pics!

O hell I was 24 in 85' I slapped a check down on the salesman desk early spring of 86' for my first 85' a deep scarlet max . I had no friggen clue what I had bought ! But I tell you it was love at first sight !!

Nice!! 2006 must be the one. Similar story wanted one when I was a young couldn't afford it,had different bikes bought my 06 in 2006. Loved the bike until back issues made me sell it last year.

I too was 24 in 1985.....:biglaugh:......Fell in love with the dealer promo vid, I knew I would have one but marriage, kids, house, and life in general always seemed to come first, picked up my 97 in 2010 and haven't looked back since, the Max is a perfect fit for me!.......I'm a tire shredding fool and proud to be a Mi Hooligan!!..............:punk:...............Tom..............BTW.......Welcome!

WTF? Are we all the same age on here, or what? Yes, I, too, was 24 in 1985 when I first saw the poster at the local dealership. I put $1,000 down towards the $4,750 purchase price, and could hardly wait until the first one arrived in early March. That one was wrecked in March 1987, but I was able to get another 85, brand new leftover and still in the crate, later that year. It still sits in my garage to this day.

Welcome to the forum.

WTF? Are we all the same age on here, or what? Yes, I, too, was 24 in 1985 when I first saw the poster at the local dealership. I put $1,000 down towards the $4,750 purchase price, and could hardly wait until the first one arrived in early March. That one was wrecked in March 1987, but I was able to get another 85, brand new leftover and still in the crate, later that year. It still sits in my garage to this day.

Welcome to the forum.

Wish I still had my first 85' supposedly shipped oversea when I sold 4800.oo 1500 miles on it .I used Qtips to clean it and brought into my house along with other bikes like a harley yea I had one but only one..

Welcome to the forum.

Noooo....I had just retired in '85....oh wait, that was '05...oh well, this is a cool story, glad you finally got on one, and a real beaut too! :thumbs up:

Hey thanks all. I know all about the "fastest year" joke.

I was all over CL in Tx,Ark,La,Ok and miss. I hit on this one in Houston and it had been advertised for 2 hours. The guy was orig owner and super cool. He held it for me for a few days till I could get there.

Only mod is the exhaust caps are drilled. Instead of removing and drilling, he drilled through them. It sounds wicked.

Every bike Ive had, I felt needed exhaust. Ive spend 600 on a thumper exhaust before. One stinking header and a muffler. But I am not feeling I need it on this bike. Ive listened to vids of all diff brands and I just keep going back to the stock sound as my preference.

I did do something that some might not approve of in that I bought a set of Shinko's for it. I am kinda tapped right now and they were only 150 bux and my bike is on orig tires. I will let you all know how they work.

Not everyone here is the same age... I bought my 85' because like it I was manufactured the same year, icing on the cake was when I found out it rolled out of the factory in February just like me! :rofl_200:

I've burned thru a few shinkos with no problems. They grip quite well, and are afforable. They don't get as many miles as some other tires but, no "grippy" tires do.

Some guys don't like them but there are quite a few supporters round here.

Latest posts

Back