WANTED: Spare parts you may have laying around!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ojref

Reaction score
I recently had an accident while riding the Max, first accident in the street for me ever since riding motorcycles in the street (20 years). Of all situations to cause the accident, Houston Police was too focused on a traffic citation to be bothered to check his distance during a lane change. His rear bumper briefly contacted my tire, caused a brief lockup and sent me flying. I was wearing all gear - helmet, gloves, mesh jacket and kevlar lined jeans. My personal injuries are relatively minor as to what they could have been would I had left any of my gear behind.

The bike's damage was limited to the lefthand side. My new FJR clutch master was spared by the FJR handle, only barely. The clutchline nut took some of the slide as well. Handlebars are bent. Mirror and signal lamps are messed up, however I have a parts bucket from my 2001 Max that has these items new from upgrading the other bike. The lower case cover has rash, and the stator cover is messed up. The left footpeg is missing, gearshift lever is bent to hell and back. Stock exhaust can is ground through the knurled lip on the end. Tank cover has some cosmetic scratches in the finish, likely from debris getting sprayed on it but fixable. The left ramscoop has grind on it, unfortunately they were overlaid in carbon fiber, appears to be a one-off that the previous owner had made. The paint/body shop that did it has an tag on the inside of the scoop, I'll call them to see if they would be willing to refinish the scoop.

As for the cop, he's being dealt with as we speak. The city has standardized settlement tables based on a number of variables, suffice it to say I'm not very happy but it will pay the doctors bills and will allow me to fix the motorcycle.

I would like to see if anybody in the community has some spares they would like to sell. I put out an ad in the classifieds, however I would like to re-iterate the list here.

1. Handlebars - stock or drag style would be fine.

2. Lower lefthand case cover and stator cover.

3. Lefthand footpeg, bracket and gearshifter.

4. Exhaust cans, whole system or if someone wants to part ways with a Dale Walker system this would be cool too.

5. Stock ramscoops, left and right sides.

Thanks, hopefully I can get back on the road soon.

Sorry to hear about your accident. :damn angry:
Glad to hear you are ok.
Cant help with the parts, just glad to hear you are ok :clapping::banana::clapping::banana::thumbs up:

Cheers :cheers:

1. Handlebars - stock or drag style would be fine.

2. Lower lefthand case cover and stator cover.

3. Lefthand footpeg, bracket and gearshifter.

4. Exhaust cans, whole system or if someone wants to part ways with a Dale Walker system this would be cool too.

5. Stock ramscoops, left and right sides.

Thanks, hopefully I can get back on the road soon.

Crashing always sucks but glad to hear you were OK for the most part. I've got a few things on your wish list and some of the guys might have others.

1 - I don't have stock bars but I'm sure some of these guys have them available for pretty cheap. I can get you a few different types of drag bar including my superbike bar for $20 each.

2 - Not sure if you are needing a complete stator cover with insert or what exactly. I have both in regular black and also chrome. I think I have a set in the satin black too.

3 - I know I have the peg in chrome but not sure if I have a good stock finished peg left. Same thing on the bracket and shifter. Many times you can actually straighten up the shifter by heating it up with Mapp gas or a torch and bend it carefully back. If you don't heat it they break when bending it back. NOTE: Check the frame where the bracket is bolted on to. If the factory flange is not completely smooth then the frame is bent there. It's a very common damage from that kind of crash. Of course you can have that included into the price of the estimate and will total the bike out. The easy fix for it is to get longer bolts and cut tapered shims to put behind the peg bracket to kick it back into the position you desire. Most of the time the bracket is actually fine. Are you certain you need the actual bracket??

4 - Stock cans are usually very inexpensive on ebay unless you have the black cans which are harder to find. I've got a set of black cans and maybe even the stockers but I know a few on here have good chrome stockers. Nows the time to get your header though if you were at all interested in that.

5 - I do have a few sets that I keep on hand for chrome exchanges and can either get you a stock set or chromed set. There would be a $150 core charge though for any damaged cores.

Sean Morley

Back