Water Pump Rebuild

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dij0674

Reaction score
Hi All,

Anybody have a water pump bearing go out on the max? I have a tapping that has started. when at idle it is noticeable, under rpm I can hear it a little but the motor sounds seem to cover it up. it seems to be slowly getting worse. I put a mechanics stethoscope on the motor and the sound is coming directly from under the water pump...I rebuilt this pump (and the entire engine) about 700 miles ago.

I hope its the water pump bearing and not the balancer shaft bearing. If anyone has any experience with water pump or balancer shaft bearing going bad and how to tell the difference, (without splitting the cases!) your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Damien

Balancer shaft bearings rarely go bad. It would be a bad waterpump bearing and is where I would start checking.

Sean

Well, I finally got around to rebuilding the water pump and getting it on the bike... and it sounds the exact same, big low end knock at idle and seems like its getting worse. Plus the engine is smoking. I think its time to give up on this one and get a different motor. Anyone know where I can get a good low mileage max motor.

The bummer about this motor is, I have a ton of stuff in it.
Undercut trans, with fifth gear mod.
HD oil pump.
conn rod press in bushings.
upgraded shift segement.
etc...

will post a video in a min for anyone interested.

Tht motor has parts value so that would lower the cost of your replacement motor.

Back