well...crap.CLEAR CLUTCH QUESTION

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GREEN light BLITZ

Reaction score
I made my clear clutch and to the best of my knowledge its all sealed up...I have no leaks

But every time I fire it up (keep in mind I can see my breath here at this time of the year) the glass fogs up with condensation!:bang head:

.Is this a result of a leak I cant find?
.Is this a result of hot oil reacting on the glass with cold air?
.Am I losing my F****** mind??? Answer:close

When I take the oil plug out the moisture usually vents and clears up but as soon as I seal it all up back to the same thing...:shot:

I obviously cant have this moisture in my engine because its ganna cause all sorts of issues so I changed the oil and switched back to my stock one for now until it warms up outside or I get some answers.(By the way I didnt know the HI-FLOW oil filter was only $7,I threw one of those bad boys in for good measure)

Anyone running a clear one have this issue at all when its cold???

P.S. anyone about to rub it in my face that its not working out just perfectly, please hold off until I fully give up, right now is just a break until I try it again.:biglaugh:

once its warm it stays "wet" until I ride it,then oil splatters on it and that lovely milky oil/water paste runs down the glass...

It makes sense. There is fluids that float around while running. I've never seen a pic of a clear clutch cover while running, only when its shut down. Maybe thats the reason you don't see many pictures of the clear clutch cover while the bike is running. :confused2:

Wish I could be more help.

Ive seen a couple running,and Ive done one previously that didnt have this problem but it was summer at the time so I think it could just be the cold... beats me!

well,Im sure Sean will have somthing to say about it so I guess we just sit back and wait! HAHAHA!

It just occurs naturally during the heat cycle. Hot oil/cold air... (condensation) See the vent in this picture? It's doing what you were doing by loosening the fill cap. If the dew point of the air is just right and your engine is fresh it may not happen as bad... but it will.

picture.php

It's normal for it to fog up and you are now able to see why it's important that if you start an engine you let it get up to temperature to "cook off" any condensation.

Sean

The Sean has spoken!!!

Thank you,My main concern was that this was less than normal in some way but It made plenty of sense in my mind that hot and colt were clashing on my glass.

Think It would do the dead just putting a brether on the top of the clutch cover?

I have a clear clutch cover, clear stator cover and a clear middle gear cover and have the same issues during cold weather with the windows fogging up. Problem is, that if you let the moisture cook off, the window then has a milky film on it. My brothers Harley windows do the same thing. I guess I should say did the same thing as there's a very easy fix for the problem.

Seafoam.

Yep, the miracle additive comes through again. One day while adding Seafoam to my gas, which I do every other tank or so, I happened to read the back of the can. Yeah, I know, the instructions are there and who the hell needs that. It says that adding Seafoam to the crankcase will, among other things, remove moisture. So what the hell, I tried it. Clears the windows right up. If they start fogging again, add some more Seafoam.

My other Brother, the mechanic, now swears by the stuff. He buys and fixes salvaged cars. He used to have to the drain the gas tanks and flush them with new gas to get some of them to run. Now, he just adds Seafoam. He buys it by the gallon. He says it even fixed some issues with his older van's automatic transmission.

I add Seafoam to all of my bikes crankcases now. That moisture can't be good for the engine.

OH thank you!!! Im so glad to hear I dont have some internal issue with the bike! Seafoam...must add Seafoam.

I think Seafoam and a breather combined will fix my issue.

Had me sweating there!

I have some sxperience with clear covers and as noted fog is normal fenomena. It will dissapear when engine is warm. It will not happen at summer, only when its cold outside.

Normaly our engines are full of fog inside, well preatty any engine but we just do not see this :)

Seafoam first,then Ill go from there. How much did you add for your first teatment? I dont wanna over do it.

Why would you experiment with the life of your engine to see your clutch spinning around? The vent will help but won't stop it from occuring. I added the vent for a different reason but noticed it did help with the fog thing.

definitely the nature of the beast. have had my clears on for over 3 years and this is a typical, normal thing. i always let the bike run for at least 5-10 minutes before driving it and it still takes a few miles before the liquid looks like oil. its a major pain in the ass if i'm doing a show and havent gotten to warm it up long enough-looks like ass but, once they are clear, they are for sure the eye-catcher.

later odieoh24

You could use something similar to my venting system (stage seven too) where you have the barbed oil fill cap and then "T" it into the pcv system that runs into the base of the air box. I have billet caps that we sell with the kit but you could make one too. I used to make a quick release cap (for the hose) that I liked more but it was more expensive to make and more work.

Sean

This is why short trips on engines is horrible. I've got my wife thinking about this now. We have a turbo motor'd Subie which REALLY like being warmed up so I have her letting it idle for a couple minutes before driving away when it's nice out and now when it's cold she starts it, comes in for a couple minutes goes out and scrapes the windows and then jumps in and drives off.

Of course I just hit my remote start button after opening the garage door... lol

Chris

Seafoam first,then Ill go from there. How much did you add for your first teatment? I dont wanna over do it.

The back of the can tells you the ratio to add to the crankcase. Regardless of what you hear, my clear windows and I have 4 ( clutch, stator, middle gear and water pump ), don't fog up. If it starts to, like I said, add more seafoam.

Back