wet fork seal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarge103

Reaction score
Went for a ride today on my 02 max and I stopped to grab a bite to eat and when I was done I noticed fluid on my right fork seal. I wiped it down and then road an hour home hitting some major bumps and when I got home I gave it another inspection and there wasn't a drop. Should I look into replacing it or just keep an eye on it. The bike had been sitting for a couple Weeks before I got a chance to ride, if that makes a difference. Any help would be appreciated.

Does the front end feel real squishy when the front brake is applied? (More travel than before?) You could keep your eye on it but it will definitely affect your handling and braking if it all leaked out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Sounds like a little spec of dirt got down into the oil seal....get a Motion Pro 'Seal Mate' and follow the directions....good chance you'll not have any more issues.

Think Sean Morley sells them....somewhere around $5 - $10.

I had one seal starting weep oil and the seals are only a year old. Used the Seal Mate and no more leak!

Definitely worth a try.

Mike

As mentioned. Probably just some debris got in there temporarily.

ok thanks everyone help, i will keep an eye on it over the next few rides and pick up a sealmate. My bike is stored outside under a cover so theres definately a chance some debris could've got in there especially since i have a dirt driveway.

Well this is what I found under my dust cover, a rusty sludge .

Attachments

• 20140601_152302.jpg
    20140601_152302.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 31
Got exactly the same issue. Now I pop the dust seal once in a while to inspect and clean.

After cleaning it won't show any sign on your fork tubes.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

If that rusty sludge ever attacks the fork tube and makes pits or streaks, no seal will be able to keep the oil and air in.

there is some residue after the cleaning but nothing like it was before, i guess the cleaning process is going to become part of my routine maintenance.

There is a steel retainer ring that holds the seal in. It looks like it has started rusting. You may want to look at the procedur to replacing that steel ring and get rid of the contamination source. I belive if you jack up the front and release the air you can replace the retainer ring. The ring is split which would allow you to expand it and slip it around fork tube ....

Back