What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Getting ready to head out to the shop and put this on :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379706710811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379706710811.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 52
Well at least I will be able to get the new mirrors on. Ran the Vmax through 300+ miles today including two passes in the dragon. Saw an unfortunate HD rider and his wife way down a hill with their bike upside down about 25 feet below the road.

Edit: forgot to add that at least both riders were OK, bike will likely be totaled.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4

Cant wait to hit the Dragon in a few years, hope you had fun Tex! Took care of some exhaust leak issues and did some carb tuning... couldnt finish though due to an E clip going flying... heard the damn thing land too. On a plus though i found a choke linkage E clip i lost 2 years ago, lol.

Hi,

New WR'S Rear Sets on hands, follow the unboxing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VI8kgkQBnRE&feature=youtu.be
The installation should take place next week.

Something about the WR's; which I have.

The right side mounts to the engine and the frame both (bolting to the original rear master mounting tabs); effectively simulating a solid mount back there; you may experience some unexpected vibration....Wasn't a biggie for me...

Adjusted carbs today, top end still feels weak, kinda like its falling on its face/breaking up. Bottom to mid feels amazing but the top just sucks. Got a 150 main, stock paj 1&2, ufo exhaust, airbox like morleys, air correctors, needles on 3rd clip from the blunt end, elevation around 750ft and functional vboost. Not sure if i should go up a jet size or move my needle. The plugs look good which is confusing. Anyone got a suggestion?

Adjusted carbs today, top end still feels weak, kinda like its falling on its face/breaking up. Bottom to mid feels amazing but the top just sucks. Got a 150 main, stock paj 1&2, ufo exhaust, airbox like morleys, air correctors, needles on 3rd clip from the blunt end, elevation around 750ft and functional vboost. Not sure if i should go up a jet size or move my needle. The plugs look good which is confusing. Anyone got a suggestion?

At that elevation you probably want a stock jet size (152.5) and your needle is probably good, I run mine second from blunt end with a shim... Reading plugs on these bikes is a bitch and I'm pretty good at it, I finally caved and installed a wideband O2 so I could dial it in right. I have a really similar setup, Morley jet kit with stage 7 needles, Kerker with a comp baffle, dyna on curve 1, and carb settings as listed above... Double check your floats and make sure they are right and give it a little more jet. I'm at about 900' above sea level as well so you should be close...

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Your close to where I'm at. I'm at around 440ft. Here is my setup, it pulls hard all the way through.

Altitide: 440 Feet
Exhaust: Kerker 4-2-1, IXIL's Duel Hyperlow muffler
Stock carbs: Morley Muscle Kit (slides not drilled)
Mains: 150 Mikuni
PAJ 1: 90 Mikuni
PAJ 2: 177.5 Mikuni
Needles: Stage 7 (clip 3rd from the blunt end)
Springs: Stage 7
A/F: Varies from cyl to cyl, 2.5-3.00 turns out.
Vboost: Stock

Finished up a few things on the archangel, then put a clean on it and took a few pictures. Hopefully I'll get it in a couple of the shows next summer.

r9ta.jpg

sw3x.jpg

e06d.jpg

7jq2.jpg

1gln.jpg

x9uv.jpg

I hope you are happy w/what you have done to the rest of us, KJ, making-us think of all the other things we could do to our bikes! Your attention to detail is impressive. Everywhere you look, something-else stands-out.

My faves are the oil cooler, the NOS setup aft of the left footpeg, and the louvres, which remind me of a reptile, a large, dangerous reptile.

If you don't do well in the shows it's probably because the judges voted for their family members.

Just installed the COPS brackets!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1379861302345.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379861302345.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1379861412376.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1379861412376.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 57
Bought this 2003 about a month ago. She was in pretty good condition, but owner had spay painted Scoops and Tank covers as well as removed most of the chrome so I stripped the parts that were spay painted and put the chrome back on this bike.

He had pretty much screwed up the Carbs and she ran like crap so I cleaned them up, changed the jets and needles and she is running damn good.

California plates need to horizontal so I fixed that today with a new mount I made and she is ready to run.:eusa_dance:

Attachments

• 2013-09-22_16-39-32_508.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-39-32_508.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 60
  • 2013-09-22_16-39-03_688.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-39-03_688.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 59
  • 2013-09-22_16-29-18_982.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-29-18_982.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 56
  • 2013-09-22_16-29-05_238.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-29-05_238.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 56
  • 2013-09-22_16-28-05_627.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-28-05_627.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 55
  • 2013-09-22_16-27-49_474.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-27-49_474.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 57
  • 2013-09-22_16-27-27_551.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-27-27_551.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 56
  • 2013-09-22_16-27-01_228.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-27-01_228.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 2013-09-22_16-26-32_500.jpg
    2013-09-22_16-26-32_500.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 51
Thanks for the complements guys, you all rock. :worthy:

I hope you are happy w/what you have done to the rest of us, KJ, making-us think of all the other things we could do to our bikes! Your attention to detail is impressive. Everywhere you look, something-else stands-out.

My faves are the oil cooler, the NOS setup aft of the left footpeg, and the louvres, which remind me of a reptile, a large, dangerous reptile.

If you don't do well in the shows it's probably because the judges voted for their family members.

Thanks that means a lot.
I'm happy with the way my system came out. To me it was work spending the time to plan, lay out, and install it. Having a friend make up some specialty nozzles to my specs and me spending a lazy afternoon/evening, taking the time to bend the tubing into the custom manifolds and then off to the carbs paid off. It has that clean look I was looking for.

One thing I didn't do was take measurements and such before the nitrous install, so If I were to put that system into production, I'm going to have to pull it and measure the angles and lengths. :bang head:Which I'll probably do. But school is in full swing and time is not on my side for fabricating. In my spare time I'm still tweaking nitrous controller V4's design and doing more planning on the "one stop" controller. I think the release date of 2014 was wishful thinking.

The oil cooler turned out well. No leaks or anything out of the ordinary. But, where is sits, if the bike was lowered or had a soft suspension, a good bump would take it out. It more than likely will be lowered and mounted near the top
of my bellypan.

Not that it's parked for the winter, It's nice having a small winter list, with includes; Rebuilding the front forks, painting the front wheel to match the back, and putting a 6-8" stretch on the swingarm.

I agree about the judges, A couple years back a $40,000+ Bourguet chopper won. To me, it had a wierd orange(ish) color, it just didn't look right. Varying on the light it went to a pale orange to almost the same color as a cream-cicle. If it had the same color as Ed's Vmax, it would look much better. Then this year a stock Harley won. Spectators did the judging, go figure. Up here the mantra "if it aint a harley, it aint shit" runs strong.

Here is the poster that shows the Bourget

4.jpg

And the Harley that won this year:

166017_10151368584101652_1117197130_n.jpg

I think by spring 2014, I'll have something that should be able to compete.

Went swimming with the Vmax today...

Anyone in the southeast can attest to the crazy rain we have had the past two days. Ended up riding down I-4 through central FL with about 10 feet of visibility the whole way.

Good news is my new dry suit works! :rofl_200:

Bought this 2003 about a month ago. She was in pretty good condition, but owner had spay painted Scoops and Tank covers as well as removed most of the chrome so I stripped the parts that were spay painted and put the chrome back on this bike.

He had pretty much screwed up the Carbs and she ran like crap so I cleaned them up, changed the jets and needles and she is running damn good.

California plates need to horizontal so I fixed that today with a new mount I made and she is ready to run.:eusa_dance:
Good to hear that ya got her running nice. I like the mount you made and the way the bike looks without the plate on the fender.
Steve-o

I think your lean on top, imho. Try richening it up using the choke/fuel enricher and see if it picks up on the top end first. Most likely going to need a bigger main.
Steve-o

Make sure your vboost butterflies are sync'd. Most of the Maxes I've worked on they fail to open 100% due to adjustment. Either, one side opens more than the other or they aren't perfectly horizontal to the vboost intake.

Thanks for the complements guys, you all rock. :worthy:

Thanks that means a lot.
I'm happy with the way my system came out. To me it was work spending the time to plan, lay out, and install it. Having a friend make up some specialty nozzles to my specs and me spending a lazy afternoon/evening, taking the time to bend the tubing into the custom manifolds and then off to the carbs paid off. It has that clean look I was looking for.

One thing I didn't do was take measurements and such before the nitrous install, so If I were to put that system into production, I'm going to have to pull it and measure the angles and lengths. :bang head:Which I'll probably do. But school is in full swing and time is not on my side for fabricating. In my spare time I'm still tweaking nitrous controller V4's design and doing more planning on the "one stop" controller. I think the release date of 2014 was wishful thinking.

The oil cooler turned out well. No leaks or anything out of the ordinary. But, where is sits, if the bike was lowered or had a soft suspension, a good bump would take it out. It more than likely will be lowered and mounted near the top
of my bellypan.

Not that it's parked for the winter, It's nice having a small winter list, with includes; Rebuilding the front forks, painting the front wheel to match the back, and putting a 6-8" stretch on the swingarm.

I agree about the judges, A couple years back a $40,000+ Bourguet chopper won. To me, it had a wierd orange(ish) color, it just didn't look right. Varying on the light it went to a pale orange to almost the same color as a cream-cicle. If it had the same color as Ed's Vmax, it would look much better. Then this year a stock Harley won. Spectators did the judging, go figure. Up here the mantra "if it aint a harley, it aint shit" runs strong.

Here is the poster that shows the Bourget

4.jpg

And the Harley that won this year:

166017_10151368584101652_1117197130_n.jpg

I think by spring 2014, I'll have something that should be able to compete.

Your bike has way more attention to detail than that Harley, IMO.

Latest posts

Back