What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funnily enough, I am using JB weld (you can see the black gunge over the cracks) after the epoxy failed to set - can it go off?

With hindsight I should have ground back some of the plastic at the back to fit a reinforcement mesh but I'm gonna wing it with just JB weld.
I suspect you mean, "is it possible for the JB Weld to go-bad?" I've used years-old tubes of it, and if it's still semi-solid/pliable, like a thick paste, as you would expect it to-be from a just-opened tube then it should set properly. In my experience, I've never had a tube 'go-bad,' but I have had other tubes of epoxy go-bad from other manufacturers (like Duro). When you squeeze the tubes, and they're like a tube of toothpaste, pliable, it should still be good. Of course, mixing thoroughly in the proper proportions is required for best results. I save my ice cream novelty wood sticks for mixers, and on a hot day, summer treats like watermelon, hot dogs and hamburgers on the grille, and an ice cream bar on a stick are one of life's great pleasures (well, they are for-me!) and the re-purposing of the ice cream stick for an epoxy mixer is a thrifty idea.

No JB weld set, it is the epoxy that didn't, first time I've had that happen, was mixed correctly and it is hot so it should have set.

I add a small piece of fiber epoxy or JB Weld to help strengthen it. Makes a fiber glass type sealant. I'll lay a small bit of JB over the damaged area, then set the piece of screen or whatever over that. Let it harden a little, then layer more JB. Strengthens well.

Good one. In the past I chopped up glass fibre matting to mix with epoxy.

Im reusing the original piece with the hole although it seem quite brittle so may need to remake the whole area.

PITA to say the least.

A little more progress today. She’s getting there

Attachments

• 796D07BB-BB4F-40D3-A49D-D30C51AA8683.png
    796D07BB-BB4F-40D3-A49D-D30C51AA8683.png
    489.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 1E855074-30A5-44CA-8525-AC2EC51A6651.jpeg
    1E855074-30A5-44CA-8525-AC2EC51A6651.jpeg
    152.5 KB · Views: 29
  • 55CD4A0A-C634-437D-B20D-BE5365795F4C.jpeg
    55CD4A0A-C634-437D-B20D-BE5365795F4C.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 30
  • DFF2138F-C8BA-40E5-9C34-BCD1C0D7AE55.jpeg
    DFF2138F-C8BA-40E5-9C34-BCD1C0D7AE55.jpeg
    165.7 KB · Views: 31
On another site im an expert jbwelder! I have one bike with a 13 yr old jb job. I have had it fail to bond with no idea why. Tried a different kit and it worked. Head scratcher to this day. It does occasionally crack or lose bond. Their website says that the original slow set is stronger and sticks better. I carry the kwikset with me when riding offroad. And have had to use it! I crash way too much. I keep the original jb in the shop.

On another site im an expert jbwelder! I have one bike with a 13 yr old jb job. I have had it fail to bond with no idea why. Tried a different kit and it worked. Head scratcher to this day. It does occasionally crack or lose bond. Their website says that the original slow set is stronger and sticks better. I carry the kwikset with me when riding offroad. And have had to use it! I crash way too much. I keep the original jb in the shop.
As for what i did today... finished pinstripes. What a painintheheiney! I redid one damn corner 4 times. Finally had walk away before i resorted to the gasoline and matches. I'll redo it when i can get the beer to blood level juuust riiight.

Finally painted the dog and washed the bike! Decided to do a 2 tone. Kinda retro theme. So i just painted them both 2 tone. Pinstripes on the bike were hard. Not looking forward to pinstripeing the dog! Still have the front fender to paint. Bike still has a looong way to go but i thought I would show a little progress. Ignore the windscreen. I just ziptied an old screen on to see how it would look. It ain't staying. The paint looks better than pics show. My first paint and pinstripe work. You bodywork and paint guys and gals earn every penny! And sorry for the dual pics. No idea how to delete one.

If you hit the 'edit' lower left, your pics should show-up as thumbnails stacked one on-top of another, go to the right, and hit 'delete' on one of 'em.

For the old offroad riders (early 1970's), you might recall Ed Hertfelder, who wrote a column (Duct Tapes) in one of the dirt bike magazines. He was very entertaining. Ed sometimes would write about a dog who rode in the CA deserts on his owner's bike, he would cling-onto a piece of carpet affixed to the top of the owner's gas tank. The dog wore split-lens goggles, and was adept at staying in-place. That dog bore a strong resemblance to yours. The competition may have been AMA District 37.

I'm sure there was > 1 owner who took his dog riding off-road, I found a pic of one that was possibly the one of-which I was thinking, his name was Spartacus. Evidently there was another owner/dog like that named Kookie, like Edd Byrnes, the car-hop on 77 Sunset Strip.

Dog on dirtbike-Spartacus.jpg

Ed's most recent gig is here: Ed Hertfelder, Author at CityBike Magazine
He writes great stories, and he illustrates too. I'm not-sure as to his current status. I haven't found an obituary for him, so I assume he's still kicking. as-in, 'kicking-over a recalcitrant vintage dirtbike,' if you please. Like this: Vintage Greeves Scramblers (kivas.com)

If you're Social Security age, you are gonna get a big kick out of this (link, below). I'll call the cut-off at twin-shocks, before Yamaha's Monoshock dirtbikes. There are some things on here that if you're about 10 years younger, you'll still have knowledge of many of the things mentioned, maybe just-not "I owned one-a those!" recollections. More along the lines of, "my older brother owned one like that," or "my stack of Dirt Bike or Motocross Action magazines I inherited had that!" They have a pic of the famous Yamahauler van, I had the same vinyl sticker proudly-affixed to the front of my Chevy cargo van, the one with the engine completely-inside the passenger cabin, it was called 'the doghouse.' Nixon was in the White House.

You're An Old Rider If.... - Moto-Related - Motocross Forums / Message Boards - Vital MX

Last edited:
I remember ed hertfelder! He was very entertaining. I also remember being so young that I thought a Yamahahauler was a real fast Yamaha! I also remember thinking that when I grew up I would have a Yamahahauler! I had a dt 80 in 1971 or 72. Had to ride that little bitty bike until i was 14 when i bought my own dt 175. I was 5'11 riding a little 80. My knees hit the bars. No one told me that I was supposed to stand up! Not quite social security age but real close. And I surf on anotheroldmxer often. A few years ago I spoke to my second hero... Richard Mann on that site. Second hero first being Evel of course.

A bit more progress. Been building up the missing area using JB weld mixed with chopped up glass fibre matting. It's getting there but I can already see the hole isn't quite centred. Will need a touch of black paint as JB weld dries grey.
Screenshot_20210623-144544.jpg

I packed up my carbs and sent them off to Dannymax. Work your magic Danny…exorcise those demons!!!
I bet you've read other info on here about checking the gas tank for corrosion, changing the gas filter, you can source one from your local auto parts store, which fits in the OEM location, search on here for exact part #'s. Blow-out the fuel lines, disconnect the line to the fuel pump, then 'blow.' While you're waiting.

Got a Fuel pump from Kyle awhile back and just received a very nice looking Fuel Tank from him. I will be installing it and be removing the carbs to do a simple cleaning and parts R&R. If I don't get them like I want them to run, I'll be sending them to Dannymax also.
Really need to get this stuff out of the way. New project just came it.

Attachments

• P6210003.JPG
    P6210003.JPG
    251.3 KB · Views: 12
Got a Fuel pump from Kyle awhile back and just received a very nice looking Fuel Tank from him. I will be installing it and be removing the carbs to do a simple cleaning and parts R&R. If I don't get them like I want them to run, I'll be sending them to Dannymax also.
Really need to get this stuff out of the way. New project just came it.
A V65?

A bit more progress. Been building up the missing area using JB weld mixed with chopped up glass fibre matting. It's getting there but I can already see the hole isn't quite centred. Will need a touch of black paint as JB weld dries grey.
View attachment 77724

when I have to do stuff like that I just fill it in entirely and then drill new holes afterwards, it's quite hard trying to build material around existing holes, good job though 🙂

Dyna 3K flaked out after 20+ years so tuning new Ignitech unit with help from @one2dmax and @Traumahawk. Got that figured out now I have a bloody low beam short that's more complicated due to dual projector lamps/hids and relays. lol

image2.jpegimage4.jpeg

Back