What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ride, Ride, Ride,! thats what I have done with V-Mad Max, !, supertuned and setting under carport for summer, with helmet's redy to go, havnt started truck or car in over a month!!!,

I'm taking mine to an old guy who worked as a Yamaha tech for most of his life and now has his own shop and works on old bikes. I'm going to let him tell me what it's gonna cost to get mine where I want it to be and see if it's worth it.

Fixed the coolant leak
Painted the headlight bracket
Sat on it and had a bourbon talking with a mate lol

Stared at my bike for a few hours; cursed the postal service.

Attachments

• IMG_20130628_184914.jpg
    IMG_20130628_184914.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 45
Changed out my plugs with new ones that are gapped properly and adjusted the drag bars to prevent them touching the air box cover. P/O definitely didn't care about that as I have two spots on either side that are chipped. Now trying to save for a muscle seat and some powder coating.

Spent yesterday, and will be spending today, cursing both the rain, and the severe pain
applecry.png
that prevented me from getting any sleep. (yes, the pain is that bad right now)

If it dries up enough, I will be doing some measurements to find out the exact dimensions I need to cut the foam for my kneepad project. Picked up Plasti Dip in a rattlecan to use as the skin for the pads, as well as some pretty strong strips of Velcro.

Maybe, if this works out well, I might just have something others would be interested in.

Finally mounted both new Dymag Classic CH3 magnesium alloy 17' wheels with radials, new front wavy rotors/slotted rear rotor, and stock final drive with venture gearing installed. Only a few more mods to go...

Attachments

• My_VMAX.jpg
    My_VMAX.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 40
Raining in buckets, so time to set up the Ignatech unit in the Mistress. New bar end mirrors
going on too. I bought the folding ones this time. For $18 I'm impressed. The best part is, with bar ends and super bike bars I can
see very well behind me. I'm waiting on the radiator end `side lights to replace the reflectors. They're 3 wire and will be turn signals and running lights. The goofy
lolipop lights are next.
Steve-o

Last edited:
To each his own: I like the 'lollipop' lights. They remind me of the emergency lighting on the fire engines I learned to operate nearly 40 years ago. The light I liked the most was "The Light from Mars,"
images

which was motor-driven and panned horizontally across about a 35 degree field of travel. It was mounted on the nose of the 1959 Segrave open cab straight-eight, (the engine was originally a Pierce-Arrow design!) which had a 1000 GPM Hale centrifugal pump and a 'crash' gearbox-straight-cut gears. If you missed a shift, you had to stop in the middle of the road, and start at the bottom of the shift pattern again. Even when you double-clutched perfectly, it still emitted a solid 'cra-ack' going into the next gear. Traditionally, the rear lights were 'lollipop' lights back-when firefighters still rode on the tailboards, which is what I did as a professional firefighter starting-out in the ranks. Nixon was President, Jack Nicholson began his rise to fame after Easy Rider in One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest, and Jaws ruined ocean tourism on the coasts. And 'lollipop' lights, vertically-mounted, were bracketing my position on the tailboard as a rookie firefighter.

Raining in buckets, so time to set up the Ignatech unit in the Mistress. New bar end mirrors
going on too. I bought the folding ones this time. For $18 I'm impressed. The best part is, with bar ends and super bike bars I can
see very well behind me. I'm waiting on the radiator end `side lights to replace the reflectors. They're 3 wire and will be turn signals and running lights. The goofy
lolipop lights are next.
Steve-o

lolipop lights are next.
Steve-o

Radiator end side lights??? Where ja get them from? Sounds pretty bad ass

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

At 2am, I broke out my meter and then tore in to the charging system. I rewired the R/R and added a 10ga piggy-back straight to the battery with a 30a fuse, then beefed up the ground as well.

Tested battery, no issues static or under a load.

Then I took the meter and tested the R/R, one way current and with the setting on diode 500+ reading.

This morning (I didn't think it would be too neighborly to fire up the bike and rev the engine in the wee hours of the morning) Then came time for the stator, .8 ohms on all three leads and no grounding issues. Now for the power output. Set my meter to 200 vac and started the bike up. Not much, so I figure I'd find another ground. Grounded one probe and went after the three from the stator. Next to nothing, .1 on the display. :bang head: I was hoping for at least 20v or better.

So it sounds like the stator windings are bad?

At 2am, I broke out my meter and then tore in to the charging system. I rewired the R/R and added a 10ga piggy-back straight to the battery with a 30a fuse, then beefed up the ground as well.

Tested battery, no issues static or under a load.

Then I took the meter and tested the R/R, one way current and with the setting on diode 500+ reading.

This morning (I didn't think it would be too neighborly to fire up the bike and rev the engine in the wee hours of the morning) Then came time for the stator, .8 ohms on all three leads and no grounding issues. Now for the power output. Set my meter to 200 vac and started the bike up. Not much, so I figure I'd find another ground. Grounded one probe and went after the three from the stator. Next to nothing, .1 on the display. :bang head: I was hoping for at least 20v or better.

So it sounds like the stator windings are bad?

That's what I'm thinking. I'm also thinking it went out last year and I'm just now discovering it. Normally I plug by bike into the battery tender when I get back from riding. When I drained my batter while riding a few days ago, I haven't plugged it in for about a week and a half.

The meter showed that everything was good, until I tested the generator output. .1vac on all three leads. Just to make sure it wasn't the setting on my multimeter I plug it into the wall and got 122vac. Then I flipped on my high beams and there wasn't enough juice to get the bottom light to fire.

Time to drain the oil and pop it out and take it to Alaska Electric Rebuilders and let them do their magic. I had them do a couple of starters for my XS' and an alternator for my dodge and they kicked much ass afterwards, so I don't expect anything less from my stator.

Latest posts

Back