What did you do to your Vmax today? Part 2

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some work to do before there's any pics or anything. however Sean will have another vmax for sale real soon, should be a good runner, and no guilt for hacking one up if you want a wild custom. Would be a solid starter project I think.

I've have just finished By-passing the Harness between the R/R and the Stator. Very easy and after Eliminating the plug from the R/R to the battery and connecting direct to the battery as described on the forum My charge voltage went from 12.9v to 14.1v instantly, what a relief, great fix and easy as could be. I also just did the bounce test (as per Sean Morley's video) on my front end, adjusted it exactly as he shows and Walah! no more wobbles. They weren't bad, but they were there, especially when I hit a bump or rough patch. 15 minutes and instant peace of mind. Thank you Sean and Ryan for your great advice.

I just put a set of ebc front pads, r1 calipers. The old pads were vesarh and looked near new , they came with the calipers, but the new ebc are amazing, two fingered braking with massive power and feel. Really happy. Excellent upgrade.

Installed some 2.5in Velocity Stacks I made out of 2.0in O.D. exhaust pipe. Also changed ignition wires and plugs. Made wires out of NGK caps and Moroso Wire. Plugs are Brisk BR12ZC plugs.

Attachments

• 2013-10-26_14-02-50_940.jpg
    2013-10-26_14-02-50_940.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 30
  • 2013-10-26_14-01-45_706.jpg
    2013-10-26_14-01-45_706.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 2013-10-26_13-39-53_495.jpg
    2013-10-26_13-39-53_495.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 2013-10-26_13-39-23_652.jpg
    2013-10-26_13-39-23_652.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 29
  • 2013-10-26_13-39-01_734.jpg
    2013-10-26_13-39-01_734.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 32
  • 2013-10-26_13-24-06_378.jpg
    2013-10-26_13-24-06_378.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 2013-10-26_12-56-25_769.jpg
    2013-10-26_12-56-25_769.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 35
  • 2013-10-26_12-48-04_562.jpg
    2013-10-26_12-48-04_562.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 34
Installed some 2.5in Velocity Stacks I made out of 2.0in O.D. exhaust pipe. Also changed ignition wires and plugs. Made wires out of NGK caps and Moroso Wire. Plugs are Brisk BR12ZC plugs.

Let us know how the Brisk plugs work out.

Let us know how the Brisk plugs work out.

I will post the results in another thread that I started. I haven't actually rode the bike yet. I will tomorrow, but idled good and a reduced fuel smell at idle. It wasn't bad but hoping to get rid of it completely without adjusting the A/F to a lean condition.

Replaced the plugs in both the Max and the Valkyrie. The Mas was getting a bit hard to start.( Two touches of the starter button) It's much better now.:biglaugh: Probably had 8k miles on the old plugs. Just used the standard plugs.
Lew

Say pjmac,

What do you think about putting a flair or radius on top of the 2" stack???
The black pieces look like PVC pipe unions. Are they???

Longer stacks would help the mid range power---- I'd try this also :clapping:

Lew

Say pjmac,

Lew

It was hard to find exhaust pipe that had a flair that would work. There was some couplers that had a change in Diameter but I couldn't find something that ended in a 2in OD so I stuck with a straight pipe and cut it down.

The black pieces are rubber couplers. I used epoxy to connect them permanently to the stack, then used the clamps from the Air Box to connect them to the carbs.

The stacks are 2.5", then with the base of the UNI filters, they are closer to 3". Low and mid are good which is best for my type of riding.

Say pjmac,

Lew
I found some thick rubber stacks with steel sides @ Home Depot that were just right. I agree about the mid-range improvement. I haven't put the fresh stage 7 set up on yet because I'm so pleased with the way my air box works. Dyno'd well with plenty of room for more improvement.
Steve-o

They look-like 'no-hub' couplings from the plumbing section, which I think is what Lew was saying. I agree w/him about the flair adding airflow capacity. Short stacks for high-end HP, like going to the strip or a dyno #, longer stacks for low & mid-range drivability.

Stage 7 transforms your bike into a different animal when tuned correctly. There isn't a need to remove the VBoost if you tune it correctly. That makes the synch much-simpler.

I found some thick rubber stacks with steel sides @ Home Depot that were just right. I agree about the mid-range improvement. I haven't put the fresh stage 7 set up on yet because I'm so pleased with the way my air box works. Dyno'd well with plenty of room for more improvement.
Steve-o

Steve-o

That is actually what I used. I just removed the rubber coupler inside and didn't use the metal sides. However, they probably could have been used as is.

put bias ply tires back on (instead of radials)... booooo.. haha got shes a pig.

also dropped 2 oz of dynabeads all over the garage floor. again boooo

nothing. I just let it sit out in the garage with a washer somewhere in the transmission case.

Well after doing a lot of research on after market exhausts, I decided to just wrap my scraped up front heads. I will revisit the exhaust next season.

Attachments

• 2013-10-29_15-47-51_704.jpg
    2013-10-29_15-47-51_704.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 2013-10-29_15-47-39_311.jpg
    2013-10-29_15-47-39_311.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 26
Well after doing a lot of research on after market exhausts, I decided to just wrap my scraped up front heads. I will revisit the exhaust next season.

That's a cool look PJ. Very hot rod looking. Mark has a sale every once in a while, plus used full exhaust pop up here once in a while. I sold a Kerker for $325 when money was super tight a while ago I wish I'd kept it now.
Steve-o

That's a cool look PJ. Very hot rod looking. Mark has a sale every once in a while, plus used full exhaust pop up here once in a while. I sold a Kerker for $325 when money was super tight a while ago I wish I'd kept it now.
Steve-o

Thank you on the look. That's what im shooting for. Working on the VMAX is like working on a 69 Camaro. I will invest in an exhaust, just not sure what. I really do not want to lose my center stand. I just repacked the trapps, wrapped the pipes and decided to take a deep breath for now.

I almost did that too, but I heard a lot of guys with wrapped headers ended up with moisture/rust issues.
I do like the look though.
So, instead I painted them Flat Black.

Attachments

• DSCF4689.jpg
    DSCF4689.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 20
I installed a garage door opener today. :punk:
picture.php
[/IMG]

I almost did that too, but I heard a lot of guys with wrapped headers ended up with moisture/rust issues.
I do like the look though.
So, instead I painted them Flat Black.

Yah I read the same. In California it is less of a problem. However, if my heads were in really good condition, I probably would not have done this. Looks bad ass though.:punk:

Latest posts

Back