what is in the box?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
If I told you the story behind this, you probably would say I have a lot of patience. Nonetheless, "What's in the box?"

images
images

Attachments

• box what is it.JPG
    box what is it.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 38
Dog bones or rawhides by the way your dog is guarding it. Our girl looks a lot like yours!

Attachments

• phone pics 038.jpg
    phone pics 038.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 14
Ya beat me to it Bob....:biglaugh:....I was going to suggest a case of milk bones...........Tom.

My dog is a good boy, he doesn't mind all that well, but he sure is affectionate. Here he looks like Snoopy sneaking up on "the enemy," intent in his eyes: "stay-away from my treats!"

But no, that's not what's in there.

And the story of how I finally came to-be in-possession of the item, you wouldn't go through what I did, I bet! But, the 'item' is finally here. That's what's important.

Is it a Dr. Who telephone box?

The space-time continuum shifts for those who know its manipulation methodology. Worm holes, dark matter, anti-matter, spectrum-shift, the endless void...even the Krell couldn't get it right, their civilization destroyed by the monsters of the id.

But no, this is a common item much-discussed and much-manipulated and much-debated-upon by the members here, a source of pride when things go well, and a source of vexing frustration because it's "old-school."

I'd say it's gotta be a car tire then, but the box isn't big enough. lol

Well, all those are good guesses, as my friend and co-worker (in another dep't) Ernie tells his fire science students who answer incorrectly, "thank-you for playing, but no!"

The "Dark Side" is the car tire use which I think can only be justified on sidecar rigs. Good guess.

Someone was "warm..."

"06VMaximus" and "Maxine" were both right. "06VMaximus" answered first. Congratulations!

So the story is:
I saw the carbs on eBay, about a week after last fall began, and decided they were a good deal at the time, and paid the 'buy it now' price. This was in early Oct 2012. They were Dynojet Stage 7 carbs, needing service, not flood bike carbs from Hurricane Sandy, not fire damaged carbs, not carb's with a 'body on them,' damaged in a crash. I just took delivery of them this week.

"Why is that, why so-long?" you ask.

The seller was getting ready to send them and saw that one of the bodies was cracked. I offered to send him a spare carb body I had lying-around [I have a lot of stuff I've acquired since buying my bike a year-old, twenty years-ago]. He agreed to clean the set and to rebuild what was necessary in the tear-down, as he has access to one of the Northeast's great VMax service and custom parts facilities. I sent him the carb body, and waited. And waited. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's, Lincoln's Birthday, Washington's Birthday, St. Patrick's Day, April Fool's Day, May Day...but still no shipment.

About the only saving grace was that the guy was from my hometown in NY, I attended school with his aunts and uncles, and he did stay in-touch with me. I never called him, it was all by email. I didn't know him before I bought the carbs.

The communication was not as-frequent as I would have preferred, but he did respond, and he told me how things were going. Then he got sick. That I can understand, sick and injured people are how I make my living. As the six-month anniversary came and went since I paid, I was getting antsy. Closing-in on seven months from my paypal payment, he sent me the Stage 7 K&N pods and the oil cap/braided SS vapor line w/the catch-can & rubber hoses to the K&N's. Another two weeks, and I got my carbs, seven months from the time I paid for them.

They are clean as a whistle, everything is spotless, he said he synched them and ran them on a bike before shipping them, and they ran "just-fine." They still have the aroma of powerful carb cleaner/soak. A visual exterior inspection shows them to look thoroughly-overhauled, I am gonna pop-off a float bowl & a diaphragm cover for a random spot-check, see what the needles are & etc.

So I did open a diaphragm cover, yes, Dynojet Stage 7 needle. The slide is drilled to 11/64". The bike must have been a big-bore, as the main jets are 175's! I think I'm running 152.5's in my refreshed [valve job, full Stage 7 & UFO 4/1] '92 w/Gannon's COP ignition.

How-many of you could demonstrate the patience and have faith in a stranger to wait that long? I admit there were times when I wondered if I had been snookered, but I always fell-back on knowing I could call someone locally, and have them contact the seller 'in-person.'

So, I haven't run them yet, and w/175's I don't think I am gonna! I will swap the mains for jets about, oh ten sizes smaller first! Then I will swap them onto my bike and see how they run. I'm gonna chalk-up the extended wait to getting about the cost of a rebuild/thorough cleaning as-compensation for the wait. Who knows, I may even shoot the guy some extra bucks for doing such a good job, once I see how they run! I am optimistic about how they will work, seeing how they look. I do admit to feeling a bit like Rip Van Winkle, it was a long slumber before I awoke to discover my fortunate turn of events. The carbs, rebuilt and hot-rodded, finally found their way to my home. Better late than never, unless you're waiting for a seat on "Old Sparky." http://www.sptimes.com/News/92599/State/The_story_of_Old_Spar.shtml

Attachments

• carb top view.JPG
    carb top view.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 8
  • carb side view.JPG
    carb side view.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 8
  • carb bottom view.JPG
    carb bottom view.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 10
  • carb end view.JPG
    carb end view.JPG
    50.5 KB · Views: 10
  • carb Stage 7 needle.JPG
    carb Stage 7 needle.JPG
    62.5 KB · Views: 9
  • carb air filters_vapor can.JPG
    carb air filters_vapor can.JPG
    59.7 KB · Views: 9
I can live with a delay, for a bit, if the person responds to my e-mails.
Otherwise it's an e-bay claim. Reason - "seller won't respond to communications"

I guess you got a good vibe off him. Otherwise you would have got your money back!

A complete set of spare carbs is an awesome thing to have!

Pretty-early-on I found-out he lived in my hometown where I was raised, I knew his family. At that point, I figured I would trust him to follow-through, and it finally happened. So, instead of getting a set I needed to go through myself, I got a cleaned set of spare Stage 7-kitted carbs. Carburation problems? Swap-'em! You're back on the road.

But no, this is a common item much-discussed and much-manipulated and much-debated-upon by the members here, a source of pride when things go well, and a source of vexing frustration because it's "old-school."
This clue is what gave it away :) Good score on the carbs, you have more patience than most people would have had!

I probably wouldn't have been as-patient if I was counting on these to get my bike back up & running! I got 'em for spares. Now I have severl sets, but not all are refurbished & Stage 7 like these.

Back