What is the importance of this washer on the rear axle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

Reaction score
I am referring to the washer that is moved for the "washer swap". The one that sits between the caliper bracket and the swingarm. I'm mocking up some parts and looking at the rear axle assembly and asking myself what would it hurt if this washer was eliminated?

Since the shouldered head of the axle can slide thru the swinarm it seems to me that if this washer was eliminated, all you would do is tighten the nut outside the differential to take up the slack created by removing the washer. As long as there is enough thread on the axle to tighten it up to remove the slack, I don't see a reason why it cannot be eliminated.

Am I missing a higher importance or is this washer just a spacer to keep the shoulder of the axle sticking out the swingarm enough to enable you to put something in the end of the axle to prevent it from turning when you tighten the nut on the opposite side?

It's there to spread the load on the surface of the aluminum brake stay. There should be no reason why you can't eliminate it if you need more axle sticking out. Note that the early axles with castle nut and cotter pin were longer then the later axles with locking nut.

Sean

Didn't think of that but it makes sense.
I have an early axle and am pretty sure I will be needing it once the shock relocation bracket goes on.

Thanks.

mike, i took mine out and the brake stay sometimes get stuck against the axle stay since i assume its different metals.

+1 to the caliper bracket sticking to the shoulder of the axle with the washer removed.

My guess is that the axle is not machined at a perfect right angle where it transitions to the shoulder. Maybe just a tiny radius there is making it a touch larger in OD. I had the axle off the bike in one hand, caliper bracket in another and I noticed that it takes some effort to push the bracket all the way up to the shoulder. Once it is there, the bracket will not slide around the axle, it just sticks. I backed it off the shoulder just a hair and I could then spin the bracket around the axle with ease.

I ended up using the early style axle and late style nut to get enough length for the shock bracket and shims.

Now, i'm contemplating how to set up the rear brakes. The wheel I have requires a rotor adapter to use a vmax rotor. Not sure if I want to keep that or go a different route and use a rotor that is direct fit or not

You don't need it but if you are overly concerned get a thin washer with 20mm inner diameter and you're good to go.

Back