What type of Battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrywilliams

Reaction score
I'm thinking of replacing the battery in my VMAX as I noticed it takes a long time to recharge it... What type of battery do you guys recommend?

I think any of these would work well. I like the ub121180. 22ah and about $56 shipped. Check the threads though. pc 680 is popular. I wouldn't go back to a lead acid vented battery, imho

maintenance free sealed batteries;
Oddysey pc680
Universal Battery UB12180
Panasonic LC-X1220P

I replaced my lead acid with the aforementioned Odyssey PC680 and it has worked great for 2 full seasons now. I've heard of some that have had them last 6-7 years.
This is the lowest price I found doing a quick search: http://www.lmrbatteries.com/odyssey_PC680.html?gclid=CIH6zf_YyaQCFci8KgodQy9fCg
They have free shipping and the current price is $119.90
I bought mine from Battery Mart for $120 and free shipping but their current price is $134.xx (still free shipping).

What do you guys do with the battery terminals since the batteries mentioned above dont have the same style as stock?

The Odyssey just has a threaded socket, it comes with two bolts to hold the cable onto the terminals. The stock (and most lead acid powersports type batteries) have a hollow "cube" type terminal that holds a square nut, and then a bolt secures the cable on. The odyssey has the nut "built in" so to speak.

IMO it's easier and simpler, no modification needed.

I've had the Odyssey mentioned for two full years, zero problems. After sitting all winter, hooked up, no charger, it was a bit flat and couldn't quite spin the motor fast enough to start. 5 minutes on a 6 amp charger, fired up, never touched it again all year.

Odyssey PC680 and never look back.. Mine's been in 3 years and spins the motor like a vacuum cleaner. When I was working on the carb problems, I started and restarted probably a thousand times over the weeks I was troubleshooting. I had fans running on the radiator, the bike wasn't being driven at all. I never charged the battery while doing this and it never fail to start. I will never buy another brand battery for my Max. That is if I ever need to again. These batteries are used in the harshest environments on the planet.

OOH, I see what you did. Thanks man. I pictured doing the same thing but was afraid how well the cable ends would hold up to being re-arranged like that.

Back