whats needed to do upgraded forks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

douknowd22630

Reaction score
Im wondering what I would need to do replace the factory forks with a set of R1 forks or something of that nature, Im really looking to do a set of sport bike wheels, like the ZX14 wheels or something like that

A big wallet or serious skills.

COO, OTEC, Taylormade, and Billet Bike Bits are places that can assist. COO is the most cost effective IMO other than doing it youself or having patience to search and find a good deal on used stuff

If you are gonna do a complete front end swap with wheel and everything here is a brief overview of what is needed.

Triples to match your forks. If you buy them right, everything bolts right on.
Maybe fork extensions
Forks
Fender
Wheel
Calipers
Rotors
Custom brake lines
Misc new stuff like wheel bearings, seals, brake pads
Master cylinder
Most likely a speedometer as you wont be able to use the OEM mechanical drive
Paint/Powder/Chrome
Fork springs to match bike and rider weight. It WILL be undersprung
Should think about revalving to take full advantage of the new forks $$$

Or, buy a kit from COO or Taylormade. COO has many different options of wheel choices (any vmax wheel or sportbike wheel to match forks, vmax or sportbike fender,)

I've seen some setups where you just buy a custom lower triple and use the vmax stem and the sportbike upper triple. Cheaper that way. Not sure who sells those but they are, or were, out there. But, then you have issues with mounting the bars and stuff.

I think the OEM forks can work just fine if setup properly with emulators and good springs. I would say the biggest improvements you can make in handling would be properly setup OEM forks, radials, and a braced swingarm.

Thanks mab I really appreciate the info. This isnt going to happen anytime soon gotta save my pennies for the goodies, kinda want to do a set up similar to the silver max on this forum I just saw in user mods, not trying to go to radical I really want to go to a sport bike style tire so I can really carve the curves here where I live. I guess I will have to way the price and decide if thats the route I wanna go or just find me a sport bike for when I wanna rip it up and keep the max for cruising. I love my max and dont plan on ever getting rid of it. Would just like to update the handling though

Mike offers sage advice about an optimised OE front end.

The money you would save by fitting springs and (say) emulators over a USD set up could be spent on:

Decent rear shock absorbers
17" wheels
Solid mounts or frame braces
Gusseting around the swinging arm

Also spend some time setting the static sag.

You would then have a machine that could go round corners quicker than most riders ability.

That said it is still a 270+ Kg machine with an 80's mild steel frame, so it still won't beat a sports-bike around the track - if you have the ability it will worry the crap out of them though! :biglaugh:

+ 1 to Mike & Steve's recommendations. Safety is another reason to upgrade your braking and suspension systems as well . You need to stop quickly w/o sliding and diving and the suspension upgrades will give you extra wiggle room if and when you may need it the most.

Back