Whats your choice of radial tires and sizes?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm running an Avon Cobra AV72 200/55-18 in back

And an Avon Azaro AV45-ST 120/70-18 on front

I love 'em, they stick like glue in the twisties and I get about 4000-5000 in back and around 6000-7000 in front.

The thing about the one in front I really like is that it will actually let you wear it out instead of starting to act stupid due to cupping and feathering, it's the first front tire I've had that didn't cup and feather before the tread itself was worn out.

If I had it to do over again I would definetly go with a 17" wheel in back, you can get true sport bike rear rubber in 17's, the best tire you'll get in 18's is still gonna be a "cruiser/touring" tire unless you run a 160 width or less. but I'm still happy with what I've got, I've pushed them to the limit and never had them scare me, I just know there are better tire for riding like I do in 17"s

Rusty

Cool, just made feel better about dropping $350 plus shipping for the Avon tires. Going with the Storm up front since it is the next generation up from the Azaros.
Cheers

Cool, just made feel better about dropping $350 plus shipping for the Avon tires. Going with the Storm up front since it is the next generation up from the Azaros.
Cheers

This is a little unorthodox by most peoples opinions but I run my tires down around 32-33 psi, maybe a little higher in the rear. It actually handles better for me in a straight line at this pressure than it does at 40-42 where a lot of people like it, and may be why it doesn't feather or cup as much, not completely sure about that tho'

Rusty

I will be getting a 17 X 5.5 rear wheel from Kosman, does anyone have any opinions on tire size for these wheels? I would like to go with a 190/50-17, but don't know if the stock swingarm is wide enough. Second choice would be 180/55-17. I will be putting Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on both the front and rear, with the front being a 110/90-18.

I will be getting a 17 X 5.5 rear wheel from Kosman, does anyone have any opinions on tire size for these wheels? I would like to go with a 190/50-17, but don't know if the stock swingarm is wide enough. Second choice would be 180/55-17. I will be putting Michelin Pilot Road 2 tires on both the front and rear, with the front being a 110/90-18.

Can you post the link for the front tire of a 110/90-18 please
all I could find on their website is a 110/80-18
Thanks
Cheers

I am running a Metzler Me880 180/55/R18 rear and Metzler Roadtech Z6 120/70/R18 front and have had great success. Bike loves radials for sure.

I see you and Chris are both running this tire combo... I am in the process of working up the courage to order a set of the Carrs from Sean (gloss black power coat I think will look nice on my Silver max),
Question is why did you go with the Roadtech in front instead of the me880 both front and back?

Nevermind... I think I found my own answer, correct me if I'm wrong...
You would run he Metzler Roadtech Z6 both front and rear as it is newer tech, but they don't make a rear Z6 in 180/55/R18 size... so that leaves you with the next best thing... the ME880

Actually they were out of the ME880 in front size so having a set of the zed 6's on my SV I knew it was an awesome tire so I went that route.

It's probably go that route again to be honest with you.

Both are great tires but aren't the same tire. The ME880 is a touring tire whereas the Zed 6 is a sport touring tire. The ME880 has a flatter profile than the Zeds.

Chris

Hmmm, well I thought I was onto something there LOL, I placed my order for the Carrs and am also placing an order for the ME880's front and rear. Not many twisty roads in Oklahoma, so I think these tires will be just what I'm looking for. Thanks all for all the great info this forum provides!!

Latest posts

Back