When does fan come on?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donnelly317

Reaction score
Hey guys I can't remember.. today is the first day of hot weather riding. But going in stop and go traffic just a little. My temp got almost to the red line and the fan never turned on.. when does it usually come on?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Isnt there a car thermostat that kits it on sooner? Or is that what your talking about..

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Could always install a toggle switch for the fan like many others have. I have mine mounted on the handlebars near my signal switch and just kick it on when it gets to about 75% of the gauge.

Yes there are thermostats that are a direct replacement that kick the fan on sooner.
Or you can just add a manual Fan Switch to kick it one when you need it, that's what I did and I like it a lot.
Replacement Thermostat (Fan Switch is what it's called on this site):
Outlaw Radiator Fan Switch Kit
http://www.vmaxoutlaw.com/merchandise/performance.htm

Manual Fan Switch:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=480
or
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showpost.php?p=4199&postcount=5

Thinking just install a manual switch for now. But would like to get a thermo that turns on sooner incase I ever forget. I did flush my whole bike and install engine ice coolant

I bought switch for fan from radio shack but found thermostat on fleabay for 30 to 40 bucks. Works great . piece of cake to install

More info on this thermostat please :D

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk 2

Do not go with the lower temp thermostat - it'll make your fan run a lot of the time when it isn't needed, for example during high speed runs on the freeway, putting unnecessary loading on your electrical system and using more fuel to run due to the power drawn by the stator (just like using AC in your car). When I bypassed my lower temp thermostat with a manual switch on my old '86 back in FL, it went reliably from 95 to 105 miles per tank.

Use the manual switch mod, and simply flick on your fan when you feel it needs to be running - that's the best solution for sure.

Kindof makes sense I guess.. I know A/C system uses a belt system where it induces more drag on engine robbing power and economy and even more when clutch is engaged. The power system here I would think it a constant power out put to the battery and from battery to electronics... I may be wrong but the more load on the battery does that meen it draws more amps from the stator?? I'm assuming this is the case but stator I can not see putting more load on the engine?? I see your point on drawing power from the system but maybe fuel economy came from lower temps?

I replaced mine with a lower temp setting switch but can't remember which one now but think it was the Nissan one... My fan never runs going down the road, the fan kicks on at exactly 205 degrees and shuts off at 200-198 and I love it, bike runs about a consistent 180-185 going down the road too, I didn't want to add yet another damn toggle switch and this way it just takes care of itself and the bike still gets between 41-43mpg.. I have a real water temp gauge on my bike that's how I know the real temps..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

I see your point on drawing power from the system but maybe fuel economy came from lower temps?

I don't get it - I got better fuel economy with the fan switched off, and worse when it kept running at highway speeds because of the lower temp thermo switch.

Surely with the fan off it would run slighty hotter?

I have a real water temp gauge on my bike that's how I know the real temps..

This is a good point. Matt, I would confirm that the factory gauge is reading correctly before jumping to conclusions that the bike is overheating. It's possible that the gauge is off and that's the reason the fan isn't kicking in. $.02

I replaced mine with a lower temp setting switch but can't remember which one now but think it was the Nissan one... My fan never runs going down the road, the fan kicks on at exactly 205 degrees and shuts off at 200-198 and I love it, bike runs about a consistent 180-185 going down the road too, I didn't want to add yet another damn toggle switch and this way it just takes care of itself and the bike still gets between 41-43mpg.. I have a real water temp gauge on my bike that's how I know the real temps..

41-43 mpg! What the fuck I only get 32 added muscle kit and still get 32! Lol

I don't get it - I got better fuel economy with the fan switched off, and worse when it kept running at highway speeds because of the lower temp thermo switch.

Surely with the fan off it would run slighty hotter?

Yea. Lol to hard to explain where I'm coming from I guess. I may be wrong but I was just saying a stator doesn't have a negative load on the engine compared to a belt driven alternator or AC so I'm confused how it would rob fueln economy is all

I gotta agree I've never seen 41-43mpg on a max. I've now had two '86 and a 2000, first '86 never got more than 105 miles to reserve, the 2000 has a larger (21L instead of 15) tank and still only does just 200 kms (125 miles) and the other '86 only gets about 120 kms (85 miles) to reserve, and I'm not even riding hard!

And I know what you mean about the stator - it *shouldn't* make a difference but it did!? Maybe I was less aerodynamic with the fan running all the time LOL

I commute to work on my max and frequently get caught in stop-and-go so I ended up replacing the stock thermo-switch, I find it works great. It hasn't once come on when I'm actually moving... at any speed... but when I'm stopped it keeps the engine running cooler. My gauge shows the fan coming on at 195 degrees.

Mileage... I consistently go to 105 miles before I need to switch to reserve.

Back