Where does this screw go on the carbs and how far to I back out the pilot screw?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corkman

Reaction score
Does anyone know where this screw goes on the carbs.

Also, how far to I back out the pilot screw initially after a carb cleaing?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• Screw.jpg
    Screw.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 64
Need a pic
Usually after turning the a/f screw all the way in it will go out 2 1/2 turns.

OPS, thanks for letting me know I forgot to attach a pic.

I was thinking something like 2 1/2 turns, pretty standard for most bikes.
What was interesting was the idle screws on these carbs were screwed in almost all the way, maybe 1 1/2 out at the most for 1 or 2 of them, the rest were close to in all the way.

I looked at the parts finder and yes, it is the drain plug. Went back to the carbs and found the hidden hole the 4 screws go in.

Also It is not written in stone that the a/f mixture screws are always set the same.
Mine front 2 are at 2 1/2 and rear 2 are at 2 3/4.
Each one can be different.
I set them at their highest point on a morgan carbtune and then back in just 1/8 turn then sync.

Well you have 4 carbs for 4 cylinders, and you have to adjust them to work in sync, and make certain that they are all open and closed the same amount. The Vmax runs WAY better when a "sync" has been done on the carbs.

The morgan carbtune is one of the machines that you can use to sync the carbs. Here is the procedure to sync the carbs.

DMANN did a great job on converting this.

Attachments

• Carb sync procedure sept11.pdf
    407.3 KB · Views: 23
Interesting using a carb vacuum to set the idle jet. I always though you used the eng RPM to do that?

Most people use RPM, some people do vacuum. I tried it, and didnt have any luck that way, so I use RPM.

I find it with a morgan and set it at it highest peak and the to find the sweet spot turn back 1/8 turn. Each cylinder is probably going to have a different vacuum level so the a/f mixtures turn outs will also not all be the same.

Am I reading this wrong or are you saying to use the a/f or pilot screws to adjust sync? Sync is a mechanical adjustment to make sure all carbs pull the same air by adjusting the position of the butterflies. Has nothing to do with a/f mixture or slow jets which should be adjusted using a O2 sniffer or plug check and wag it?

Am I reading this wrong or are you saying to use the a/f or pilot screws to adjust sync? Sync is a mechanical adjustment to make sure all carbs pull the same air by adjusting the position of the butterflies. Has nothing to do with a/f mixture or slow jets which should be adjusted using a O2 sniffer or plug check and wag it?

I think Blax is saying that he uses the carbtune to "set" the A/F screws. I guess that it comes down to what people are used to. I use rpm, and then back it up with the innovate. At idle cold, I'm around low to mid 14's, and it will drop to mid to high 13's when its warmed up.

It is a bowl drain screw. As you look at the carbs on the bike it goes to the lower right hand side of each carb. They screw all the way in to stop fuel from coming out the small tubes the come down from the float bowls to the carb brackets. Hole opening is just to the right of where the carb slides/ covers are I will try to get you a good picture.

Attachments

• float drain screw.jpg
    float drain screw.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 17
I set my Sync. at idle, then turn my idle mixture screws in to make sure I get a stumble when each is screwed in I then recheck my sync just off idle, enough to move the throttle plates from the idle position-1500 rpm or so. Then I set the mixture screws at 2 1/2 turns out from seated. I go for a ride with my little screw driver, setting them 1/4 turn at a time until the bike runs good off idle and at low mid range. I usually end up between 2 3/4 to 3 turns out from seated.
Steve-o

Latest posts

Back