Who goes to the Sturgis motorcycle rally

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
I've never been and I really don't see it as a place for VMAX'S but who knows?? :ummm:

Who here goes to the Sturgis motorcycle rally

I just never hear anyone in the forums talk about it.. I guess that is why I thought that?? but like I said who knows????It would be cool if a bunch went cause that is closer to me than anywhere else everyone seems to go.

I used to cut wheat in the area every year while the rally was going on. Beleive me there is every kinda of bike,person,and things going on at Sturgis. I'm actually thinking about figuring a away to go this year and get a night of ZZtop. But thats just a dream at this point :)

The sturgis event is prolly one of the safest to run a rice burner.

I've never been and I really don't see it as a place for VMAX'S but who knows?? :ummm:

Who here goes to the Sturgis motorcycle rally
I passed thru Sturgis in June '08, while on my way to the west coast. Of course the rally was not going on (this happens in early August?), but the whole area was teeming with bikes, justifyably so. Incredible riding country and scenery abound! I would advise anyone coming from the east to take route 18, not the 90 interstate. Beautiful two lane blacktop , little traffic. This will take you into the heart of the Black Hills, and past the Crazy Horse and Mount Rushmore monuments. Just east of Sturgis is the historic town of Deadwood. And just a short hop west of Deadwood, in Wyoming, is the "Devils Tower"(the mountain used in Close Encounters of the Third Kind). If youv'e got the time, Bear Tooth Pass in northwest Wyoming is incredible, although often closed due to snow and landslides in the early summer. Then your'e right in Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks. Then the "high western desert" of Idaho via route 20(don't miss Craters of the Moon), then into Oregon....but I digress. Just skip the damn rally, stay off the interstates , and absorb what's gotta be some of the most scenic country in the U.S.! With a tear in my eye, Miles

I have been to sturgis 6 times, we used to go every year for the great rally, believe me when i say if you havn't been you ought to make plans to make it at least once, it's a blast, and you will no dought see every kind of motorcycle, or trike there. not to mention the cool road up in the mountans great riding fellas.

first time I went to a Sturgis rally was 18 years ago. We got rained out of the wheat field over by Wall SD so we loaded up and went to Sturgis. What an eye opener it was back then lol. I had my 3 year old son with us at the time and we was walking down the street when we came by this biker giant that had a coyote draped over his head. Now I am 6'4" tall and 240 pnds and this guy made me look like a tooth pick. Anyways my son looks up at him and pointing right at him yells why is that scary guy wearing that dog on his head? I was ready to crawl under the nearest rock as fast as I could lol. The giant turned around and bent over to my son and then smiled from ear to ear and asked him if he wanted to pet his coyote:worthy: Turned out he was a really cool guy that wouldnt hurt a flee thank God lol

Very nice scenery,like was previosly mentioned.Tons of places to go and see.Its way more family orientated than it used to be. Theres someting there for every kind of person.Drag racing,hill climbing,drinking,live bands,christian motorcycle assosiation,hells angels,vendors of all kinds,female eye candy,Wing dingers,honda v-45 club,busa club,ect. There is way more "non harley bikes" every year.Careful on the roads,especially during the end of the ralley,..there is alot of very tired,hung- over riders heading home in a hurry, and the woman truckers would just as soon run you over than move.Its very commercialized now, and lots of good deals leathers and tires.."and harley do-dads" Go see it...something there for every one. Been to the Daytona beach ralley3 years ago..absolutly loved it.....lot different than sturgis.
posted are some pics... TO THE MODERATORS.....If they are NOT appropiate,please feel free to delete them. And yes,its ZZ top!This was my boys first trip down..he got a little carried away.

Attachments

• 100_0609.jpg
    100_0609.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_0616.jpg
    100_0616.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_0553.jpg
    100_0553.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 40
  • 100_0501.jpg
    100_0501.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0528.jpg
    100_0528.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 100_0505.jpg
    100_0505.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 39
  • 100_0574.jpg
    100_0574.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_0603.jpg
    100_0603.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
You couldn't PAY me to go there... I'd love to tour the area, but NOT during that time period.

Chris

We went in 2007. Can't wait to get there again this year. I can't decide which bike I'll be taking though. Max was acting up in 2007 and wanting to overheat a bit in downtown bumper to bumper traffic. I don't think that'd be the case this time.

Creekside campground. RV's welcome. Some with electric/water. Plenty of dry camping. They serve breakfast and lunch daily and don't try to get too rich off doing it. They have cabins for rent (we're doing it this yr). Located directly across the hwy from the drag strip, and close to all the bigtime events and Fullthrottle Saloon.

You really, really, really want to mind your P's and Q's regarding traffic ordinances and especially speed any where close to Sturgis. Po Po is very much active at the event and in-force at all major intersections. THEY WILL STRIP SEARCH ANY BIKE stopped for ANY VIOLATION.

My wife and I have gone the past 2 years, both of us on on our Max's. We usually see 3 or 4 other VMax's around. I was stopped by one guy in One-Eyed Jack's who asked me if I rode a VMax (I'm terrible with names). He was in town from the the southeast area of the country. I had forgotten that I was wearing a VMOA tshirt. Another one from Pennsylvania with a fully loaded Max stayed at the same hotel as we did.

If you go, the roads are VERY busy. You will get behind a group of riders that have to brake for every curve in the road! Be prepared to take your time and enjoy the scenery.

We are debating on going this year. Some friends want us to, but I wanted to try something else. Wife had to go last year because she was born in '69 and it was the 69th year for the rally. I would expect this year to be busier for the 70th year.

I go every year and always run into a dozen or so vmaxs. The roads are generally good and smooth from Custer State Park through WY. We always camp a couple of miles outside of Sturgis and stay for five or six days and never run out of roads to ride on or things to do in Sturgis. If you go, you have to go through Spearfish Canyon, Nemo Highway, and Needles Highway. Needles has so many curves and tunnels that the speed limit is 20 mph, it's a lot of fun. Sadly, I can't ride this year so I'll be driving out.

Back