Who here shoots? And what do you shoot?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I like to shoot a few while enjoying a gentlemen's movie. I've been told I'm an excellent shot.

Oh, guns. I have an ancient .22 that I occasionally frighten groundhogs with. Frighten, not kill, since I'm fairly lousy at pointing this one in the right direction.

I have a Kimber Eclipse II Pro that I carry in a Crossbreed holster. This gun and I have a special understanding. She isn't pretty as she once was. Has some holster rash and some small scratches but to my best counting, she has had just under 6000 rounds fed through her. Other than a slide spring, She is as sweet as the day I picked her up.

I'd up load a picture but tap talk and iPads both conspire against me...

And this....

Ruger Super Redhawk in .480 Ruger
pix486854493.jpg

Hey , man hadn't heard from you in a while. If you are still in Green Bay I recommend paying Rick at On Site over on Military Ave a visit.

Yup still in Green Bay. In process of buying a house here, so we'll be here for quite some time hopefully (unless of course I can convince the wife we need to relocate to one of them fancy all year riding season states! :biglaugh:).

I've never been in there before, I'll have to go check it out. There's a newer store front on Velp Ave for Nelson Tactical. It's a real nice store with some decently priced stuff. That's where I bought my RRA lower from.

I am planning on a prarie dog hunt in wyoming this june.
I bought a 22-250 remington model 700. It came with a bushnell 3-9 scope but i want to upgrade it to a bushnell multi x trophy xlt 6-18x50, anybody know if this is a decent scope? or can anyone reccomend something better say under $300?

also i have no idea what ammo i should buy for this, maybe hollow points? i want something that will do some serious damage, but with accuracy at long distances.

Figured i would see if anyone here has any experience with this.
Thanks

I am planning on a prarie dog hunt in wyoming this june.
I bought a 22-250 remington model 700. It came with a bushnell 3-9 scope but i want to upgrade it to a bushnell multi x trophy xlt 6-18x50, anybody know if this is a decent scope? or can anyone reccomend something better say under $300?

also i have no idea what ammo i should buy for this, maybe hollow points? i want something that will do some serious damage, but with accuracy at long distances.

Figured i would see if anyone here has any experience with this.
Thanks

don't think you need hollow points or serious damage for the killer prairie dogs. Just a steady aim and smooth trigger finger.

I feel like a loser now... LOL I shoot my Glock 23 and Taurus .44 mag quite a bit, I love shooting my AR-15 and Ak-47 too but I've really been getting into shooting my Remington 700 .308 here lately... I reload for everything except the AK because I can buy it cheaper than reload it and as much as I like reloading, I love shooting more!

My newest build, TACCOM 22. New company I'm shooting for. Total weight 3.75 lbs, 16" Carbine.
It's a blast to shoot. Accuracy will be much better once the barrel is seasoned. This was with trash bulk ammo at 25 yards.

TACCOM2.jpg

TACCOMFederalBulkafter100Rounds.jpg

i've never owned a gun, but am now becoming interested, if anything simply for recreational weekend shooting. my old supervisor from a completed project who is retired army and an avid gun enthusiast, suggests that i should start off with a 22. reasons being, he thinks it would be easier to correct the bad habits and fine tune my skills without having to deal with recoil, plus ammo is cheaper. he says if i want to graduate to something bigger, the 22's resale is favorable. a few weeks later, however, our mutual friend, said nah and said that he could sell me his 9-mil glock for a great price, something like $300. my old super said that for the price it would be a great buy and, although he wasn't opposed to jumping straight into the 9 especially at that price, he still preferred for me to consider starting off with the 22 because 9s are more difficult for a beginner to mature proper technique. this past weekend, i was talking to a retired army/retired police officer/friend, about picking up an handgun. he said eff the 22 and the glock and go for some kind of 40 for the stopping power, because when it comes down to it, a gun's main reason for being is for protection and with a caliber the size of a 40, who needs accuracy, but even though i am just into the sport of shooting, i might as well have it for protection.

what do you guys think? i don't discount any of my friends' opinions and see how or why each sees the appropriation differently because of their past and lifestyles. i don't want a big gun for penile-compensation, nor do i want to get a gun simply for protecting myself from armed bandits. if i were to get a big gun it would be for the enjoyment. i want to be into sport shooting, not into the periodic shooting days to remember how to point and pull. so i'm dismissing my ex-police officer friend's advice to go for a 40, for now (the reason my buddy wants to sell is 9mm is because he wants to go to a 40 and for me there must be a reason behind that). that leaves me with choosing between a 22 and a 9. i do like the idea of the secondary benefit being personal protection, but my ultimate goal is the weekend target tests and whole-heartedly believe in learning the proper technique that will lay down a firm foundation for developing the skills.

Waiting for my state permit in the mail. I come from a family of shooters and for years i've been the only one without a permit. Been shooting for quite a few years tho and love it...relieves stress :biglaugh:. Shot in a local skeet club for a few years too and want to get back in. All my hobbies slowed down a little after the baby but starting to pick back up again.... whew !

i've never owned a gun, but am now becoming interested, if anything simply for recreational weekend shooting. my old supervisor from a completed project who is retired army and an avid gun enthusiast, suggests that i should start off with a 22. reasons being, he thinks it would be easier to correct the bad habits and fine tune my skills without having to deal with recoil, plus ammo is cheaper. he says if i want to graduate to something bigger, the 22's resale is favorable. a few weeks later, however, our mutual friend, said nah and said that he could sell me his 9-mil glock for a great price, something like $300. my old super said that for the price it would be a great buy and, although he wasn't opposed to jumping straight into the 9 especially at that price, he still preferred for me to consider starting off with the 22 because 9s are more difficult for a beginner to mature proper technique. this past weekend, i was talking to a retired army/retired police officer/friend, about picking up an handgun. he said eff the 22 and the glock and go for some kind of 40 for the stopping power, because when it comes down to it, a gun's main reason for being is for protection and with a caliber the size of a 40, who needs accuracy, but even though i am just into the sport of shooting, i might as well have it for protection.

what do you guys think? i don't discount any of my friends' opinions and see how or why each sees the appropriation differently because of their past and lifestyles. i don't want a big gun for penile-compensation, nor do i want to get a gun simply for protecting myself from armed bandits. if i were to get a big gun it would be for the enjoyment. i want to be into sport shooting, not into the periodic shooting days to remember how to point and pull. so i'm dismissing my ex-police officer friend's advice to go for a 40, for now (the reason my buddy wants to sell is 9mm is because he wants to go to a 40 and for me there must be a reason behind that). that leaves me with choosing between a 22 and a 9. i do like the idea of the secondary benefit being personal protection, but my ultimate goal is the weekend target tests and whole-heartedly believe in learning the proper technique that will lay down a firm foundation for developing the skills.
Well, a choice in a handgun is much like all the oil threads you read, everyone has their one opinion on the best make, model, and Caliber. Although I have several handguns I still enjoy shooting my S & W .22A with a red-dot scope, you cant go wrong with a .22 handgun or rifle. They are easy and cheap to shoot, and buy, and everyone will enjoy shooting it. I never leave my house with out a gun in my pocket, my favorite carry gun is my S & W .38 +P Airweight revolver.

I am going to defer to Dave here, he has the experience. I do not. I do have an opinion, and it pretty-much matches points you have mentioned.

Twenty-twos are fun, cheap, and relatively easy to learn about good habits to develop and bad habits to avoid. Ammo is easily avail and won't cost you like the bigger ordinance. You will be able to shoot more, longer, with better results because of the lack of recoil and not becoming worn-out.

Self-protection is a whole other thing. There, you want the .40 instead of the 9 mm. There is a reason people who protect 'valuable assets' rely on a .40, it has more stopping-power.

If you go online and type in 'platt and matix' and you search, you will find information on the 1986 FBI operation where agents were killed along with the bank robbers who had been responsible for multiple robberies. Here is an analysis of the case:
http://www.firearmstactical.com/briefs7.htm

This happened in suburban Miami not-far from our home. Because of this incident and others, the FBI chose to remove more-traditional weaponry from their field agents, and to implement ordinance w/more stopping power.

You can draw a parallel between riding small-displacement bikes first before riding an R-1 or a VMax. Make things easy on yourself, work your way up once that you develop good habits, skills, and confidence.

A .22 is never a bad choice and every shooter should have at least one in their collection.

My thoughts on the .22 or the 9mm, I would say the .22. A couple of reasons for this.

1) .22lr ammo is uber cheap to shoot and trigger time is trigger time. On a limited budget a .22 might mean the difference between shooting and having to save up some more $$ to feed a larger caliber gun. I own handguns up to .480 ruger (a massive penile extension) and end up shooting my .22s way more than any of the big bores.

2) Most .22 pistols are made to shoot and shoot and shoot. They require minimal cleaning, nearly no maintenance.

3) If you decide you really like shooting and want to buy something different, a .22 is not something you outgrow or get rid of. Many guys I know are continually horse trading guns, however their .22s never seem to be on the chopping block.

4) You mentioned that you don't necessarily want it for home protection so the smaller .22 cal is not really having to serve as your "nightstand gun". That being said while a 22 may not be an optimal SD weapon, I don't know anybody who would want to go head to head with someone wielding a 10 shot 22 auto who could unload it into a half dollar sized target at "in the house distances"

Back