why no 87 max?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read somewhere that because they still had 86's left in the US that they did not release any 87's to the USA.....

maybe it was like the 06 and 07 vmax,,same thing. Maybe in those days they just waited for the old year's version to be gone.

nah, it's just because the '86 was SO GOOD they knew they just couldn't make any better until at least '88.

Guess what I ride...

LOL

Harley was whining at the time about the sales not being fair so they managed to talk congress into making a big tariff on bikes over 700cc's (note that era had a number of 700 bikes). Once the tariff was lifted the vmax came back.

Note that the 87 was still sold in other countries (not just Canada) so it was never really "gone" - just gone from the U.S.

Sean

Harley was whining at the time about the sales not being fair so they managed to talk congress into making a big tariff on bikes over 700cc's (note that era had a number of 700 bikes). Once the tariff was lifted the vmax came back.

Note that the 87 was still sold in other countries (not just Canada) so it was never really "gone" - just gone from the U.S.

Sean

Not only that but sitting next to it on the showroom floor was the new FJ1100 and full fairing sport bikes were just getting started. So people were buying them and Max sales were low. I thought they would do as the Fazer and stop production after 2-3 years. Who knew it would go over 20 with "minimal" changes.

Back