Won't start, been in storage since Oct. any tips?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EAGLEPI

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Went to get my bike out of stoage today and when I tried to start it I put full choke and it started but stopped right away, tried it again and it would stay runnning at 4000 rpm but as I closed the choke it would cut off right away I couldn't ease it closed.

Finally I ran my battery down so now it sits with my charger on and I'll try again tomorrow.

I didn't start it all winter, any tips or tricks?

Thanks
Ron

My carbs were just rebuild by Sean before it went into storage and I went every 2 weeks and turn the key to make sure the bowls stayed full.

Please don't tell me I have to take my carbs apart.....

It's also possible that your gas has a lot of water in it, especially if it's E10. I would drain the fuel bowls and take a good look at what comes out.

old fuel and carb problems seem to be a common problem this year. I've never had a problem until this year myself...:ummm:

old fuel and carb problems seem to be a common problem this year. I've never had a problem until this year myself...:ummm:
+1 This is the first year I ever had any problems, and I didn't do anything different than past years as far as storing. Someones pissin in the gas supply!

Correct, Can't leave fuel alone at all anymore. It all goes to shit. The pilot circuit is probably clogged or the water in the fuel as noted. The drains are easy to access and I would start there.

Sean

Sean are you talking about draning the bowls with those black hoses that stick out.. what about the gas in my tank?? or does this just happen in the bowels?

Also do you know what deep socket size the plugs takes? off topic I know but I thought since Sean is online he could tell me as quick as anyone

Sean are you talking about draning the bowls with those black hoses that stick out.. what about the gas in my tank?? or does this just happen in the bowels?

do both. black hoses drain the bowls, bolt under the tank does that.

Also do you know what deep socket size the plugs takes? off topic I know but I thought since Sean is online he could tell me as quick as anyone

18mm

Thanks guys, remember you are dealing with someone who knows only what I have learnt on this forum. I'm about to have a few surgeries and I want to get the bike home before I go in...

I understand that I should drain the carbs and I do know how to do that I will put 4 new plugs in just in case. but draining the tank ??????

I have no idea how to get tot he take does it had a drain hose? if not does the gas empty so I can catch it with it going all over my bike?

These are questions you guys don't even think about but for someone like me who had never done these things I ahve to learn and this time my bike is at a boat dealer and I have to get it out soon and other than riding it I have no other way. so I need to do this ASAP.

Should I go there and do everything or give it another shot at starting before, after all this isn't my garage it's his and I don't want to be in their way...

if someone could give me a bit more details on draining the tank I would appreciate it

Ron

There is a plug on the bottom of the tank that with your aftermarket exhaust will be easier to access (note I did not say easy - but it's not that hard either). You will likely get some all over. The other option is to drain the tank via hose and pump (or siphon). They make hand fuel/fluid transfer pumps that use a bulb you squeeze to move the fluid. Pretty cheap at the auto or boat supply house. Suck it out and mix it into the car (with an almost full tank) and it will be fine there. Put fresh in your bike and new plugs then give it a shot again.

Sean

Hi Sean,

Just did almost all of that. I drained the 2 left side carb bowls and one of them the gas leaked all over and it wasn't coming from the black tube so something isn't connected.

I used a siphon to get as much gas out as I could and then put new gas in and it started, ran very very rough. I got it so that I could drive it home and that was the main thing I had to do. It ran very rough popped and at low rpms wants to stall. Do you think that is the plugs all fouled up?

Now it's in my garage and actually when I got back to my house about 5 miles it was running a lot better I think the old gas leaving and the new coming in.

What do you suggest I do now that it is home and I can put it back up on my center stand and not have to worry about being in someone's way.

SEAN,

Can I buy a set of carb bowl screws from you?
Thanks
Ron

Correct, Can't leave fuel alone at all anymore.

Sean

I just took my SV out of storage... It was there for 18 months... Started like the day I parked it. The only thing I did was fill it with 87 straight gas and put a bit of Seafoam in the tank.

I need to burn through the gas, as it's most definitely not good but it's not totally bad either.

If all you can get is E10 fuel then store it with some StarTron in the fuel.

Chris

Which carb screws do you need? I have most every part for these suckers! As you noted it may just flat need to be ridden!
Sean

Which carb screws do you need? I have most every part for these suckers! As you noted it may just flat need to be ridden!
Sean

The screws that you open and close to empty the gas from the bowls. Mine are kinds messed up and I'd like to have some new ones do you have any new?

If not I can order some but I like to order from you first if you carry the items I need

Ron

Back