won't start

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

viper94bite

Reaction score
Ok so here is the problem. Tried to start the max the other day and I get all the normal noises (fuel pump, v-boost, etc), but when I actually try to fire the motor all I get is rapid clicking.
The battery has a full charge according to the battery tender, and it is not short of water in the battery. I have not tested the output of the battery as my tester needs a battery and I don?t have much experience with them anyway.
I had the bike started as of the 1st of February and it has not moved since. I got the battery tender about a week ago and hooked it up according to the instructions as far as I can tell. Before that I used a regular trickle charger.
Could it be perhaps that with the battery tender having one lead on the positive and the other to the ground that it is grounding out the current before it should be?
Should I have the black lead of the battery tender going to the negative side of the battery instead of a ground?
I?m not much for the electrical stuff other then a little dabble here and there so any help would be appreciated.

First, measure voltage across battery terminals...should be 13 volts or very close.

Then, take battery out and take to Walmart to do a cranking test.

Assuming the battery checks out, could be your starting circuit cutoff relay or the starter relay. Since you hear a clicking noise when the start button is pushed it sounds like one of the relays is working....but not necessarily since they can still click and not make the correct contact to fire the relay.

Try starting with clutch lever pulled and side stand up. Does it turnover then?

You can try applying your battery directly to the starter motor cable and see if the starter at least works. It's the big black wire and hooks to the relay under the seat.

Mark

Ray, give me a call on Saturday sometime. I can always bring my bike over and we can try my battery on your Vmax.

Mark

i'll be out of town until at least saturday evening. Sunday would work. Kent offered to help me out as well. I'm guessing i'll be calling one of you guys though if it doesnt start up today before I leave.

I have family coming in on Sunday so I'm out that day.

Mark

Well I went home over lunch and had to satisfy my curiosity. I figured it worked before I put on the battery tender connections so I took them off.
The bike fired right up. So I wonder if it was grounding out the current before it did what it needed to do.
I'm going to try it hooked directly to the positive and negative terminals on sunday.

Only thing different was the bike was almost backfireing and after it was a little warmer it was as if it would lose power then come back on again. Once I bolt and screw everything back into place I'll see if it still does it. Currently the battery is in its slot and the rest is just resting on top.

Yeah, sounds like you were shorting out your starter relay somehow. When I had a battery tender I hooked positive to (+) battery terminal and ground the negative wire to a frame bolt.

As for the backfiring, did you put fuel treatment over the winters? Did you cover you mufflers?

Mark

grrrr! what the hell. ok sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. Right after I take it off the charger it starts. but an hour later it won't.
The sputtering and loss of electrical I think I have narrowed down to something in the sasy controller as when I have the vboost set to off it does it and on all the other settings it works fine. But now its not starting again anyway. Maybe it is the batter? It read 13 volts or so when I had it started last. I will check again later. Stock battery on an 04
assuming it is the battery what aftermarket battery is the most recommended for the vmax

grrrr! what the hell. ok sometimes it starts sometimes it doesn't. Right after I take it off the charger it starts. but an hour later it won't.
The sputtering and loss of electrical I think I have narrowed down to something in the sasy controller as when I have the vboost set to off it does it and on all the other settings it works fine. But now its not starting again anyway. Maybe it is the batter? It read 13 volts or so when I had it started last. I will check again later. Stock battery on an 04
assuming it is the battery what aftermarket battery is the most recommended for the vmax

The stock charging system sucks ass and every volt counts. Start the bike and tell us the voltage reading at idle and at about 3 or 4 grand. Post the results here and we can help you troubleshoot your problem.

so fresh off the charger and the bike running it reads 13.3ish at idle and 13.8ish at 3,000. I'm going to try starting again in an hour or two and see if she still starts.

so fresh off the charger and the bike running it reads 13.3ish at idle and 13.8ish at 3,000. I'm going to try starting again in an hour or two and see if she still starts.

OK, that's a good voltage, so we can eliminate the charging system. Post after you try in a hour to see if something is draining the battery. The battery is 4 years old though...:hmmm:

From everything that has been said, it sounds like a bad battery. I have found that weak or bad batteries can cause tons of various problems. I'm not sure if you have had the battery tested, but even though it is showing 13+ volts on the running bike, the battery can still be shot. If you don't want to mess with taking the battery out and having it tested, try to measure the voltage while you are cranking the bike over (similar to how an automotive shop would test your battery). A fairly large current drain is applied to the battery and you check to see how well the voltage recovers. If it dips down below 10 volts or so, you probably have a weak/bad battery. I may be off with my voltages, but it sounds like it isn't holding a charge, and has lost it's power (cranking amps). I'm sure there will be others to jump in with more technical info, but at least it looks like your charging system is good.

Jeff

From everything that has been said, it sounds like a bad battery. I have found that weak or bad batteries can cause tons of various problems. I'm not sure if you have had the battery tested, but even though it is showing 13+ volts on the running bike, the battery can still be shot. If you don't want to mess with taking the battery out and having it tested, try to measure the voltage while you are cranking the bike over (similar to how an automotive shop would test your battery). A fairly large current drain is applied to the battery and you check to see how well the voltage recovers. If it dips down below 10 volts or so, you probably have a weak/bad battery. I may be off with my voltages, but it sounds like it isn't holding a charge, and has lost it's power (cranking amps). I'm sure there will be others to jump in with more technical info, but at least it looks like your charging system is good.

Jeff

I was thinking the same thing on my last post. For some reason, the stock battery doesn't last. I find 4 or 5 years on a stock battery is a good run. And if the battery goes flat, once or twice, that usually kills it from holding a charge.

I started it up last night after about an hour and it started fine. We did start it while testing the voltage and it dropped to about 10. I was going to test the voltage this morning before work, but my shed lock was frozen shut. So i'll check when I get home.

What batteries are recommended as i've heard the stocker sucks.

Hawker Odyssey PC680. I have it and it's been very reliable for 4-5 years now.

Mark

starting problem with the Vmax trike

If I can guys can I run a simular thread to Viper94bite, the bottom line is she won't start. She will crank over no problems but I have tested all spark plugs and have no spark. What is it I have blown? I'm not too good on the electrics so you'll have to explain in laymans terms where to switch the multimeter to test something etc. This is a recent thing because she started no problems last week:hmmm: Can anyone please help:ummm: Fitzy

Re: starting problem with the Vmax trike

If I can guys can I run a simular thread to Viper94bite, the bottom line is she won't start. She will crank over no problems but I have tested all spark plugs and have no spark. What is it I have blown? I'm not too good on the electrics so you'll have to explain in laymans terms where to switch the multimeter to test something etc. This is a recent thing because she started no problems last week:hmmm: Can anyone please help:ummm: Fitzy

Is the start switch on? (I've done this before). if so, have you checked your fuses?

Re: starting problem with the Vmax trike

Is the start switch on? (I've done this before). if so, have you checked your fuses?

Yes KJShover i've checked all the fuses and the start/kill switch is on. She cranks over OK but will not fire due to no spark at the plugs. I got a call from Gleno today who saw my post and lives close to me here in Sydney. He is coming over tomorrow to help me sort through the problem. We will post the outcome when we find it.
Thanks KJShover for your suggestions.
Cheers
Fitzy

I would test that kill switch #6 on the circuit diagram R/W & R/B for on/off continuity through the switch. If it's dirty, contact cleaner may work but it may take a while. Make sure the switch is working properly before going on to anything else.

Ok, get to reopen this thread..... Bike ran great last night when I parked it. Went out this morning, turned the key, heard the Vboost servo cycle, no fuel pump noise which struck me as odd, and then tried to start and it barely turned over and obviously didnt start. :bang head:Battery is 3 years old so may be due for a replacement. Going to check all my connections (ie ground wire to engine, etc.) and start there, but am open to any suggestions that anyone has..... thanks in advance.

Back