Your first thoughts your first time on a VMax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've always loved the look of the Max. That engine...those scoops...
With a background on MX bikes, I felt I needed to spend some time on the street before progressing to a Max. I bought a new cruiser to gain some experience. After a couple of years, I went into a Yamaha dealership and took an '07 out, expecting to be disappointed with the handling etc. I was excited that I loved everything about the bike. Fortunately, my riding style doesn't exceed the limitations of the bike.

I didn't buy the '07. I started saving money to buy my mint '05, 6 months later.
My reaction at owning my very own Vmax? I had to pull over on the way home and stare at her. The overwhelming feeling I had was "At Last"...

That's awesome....well said.

I'd had several bikes but, although I always wanted one, never a v max. A used v max showed up at the local bike shop, a beautiful '85 with about 20K on the clock. One look and I had to have it. I made a deal for it and was told to come back at 3:00, it would be plated and ready to go.

Man.....what a long day!! I showed up at 3:00 with my helmet under my arm and my knees trembling ever so slighty! Sure enough, there she was, just like promised! The guys came out, guess they all wanted to hear the v max. I'm thinking this is just great, I'm shaking at the knees, my stomach is doing flops cause of the reputation of these things, and here's 5 guys from the shop out to see me drop it, or stall it, or some other ass wipe thing that I just knew was going to happen!

Well, I got it headed east on US # 11 without a whole lot of embarassment, (too much throttle prior to letting the clutch out but that wasn't really TOO bad) and after a few miles the cold sweat in my arm pits began to dry and I was feeling pretty good.

Couple miles after that the good feeling started to turn a little cocky, I thought shit, this really isn't so scary, I can handle this thing...no problem! Let's see what this v boost bullshit is all about! I went down a couple gears, going about 40 at the time, and screwed it up! Wow, this thing's got some pretty good power, I'm thinking as the tach quickly climbs to the high 5K's.

It was right around 6K when it happened! My arms were almost snapped off, the skin on my cheeks was stretched back to my ears and that fucker flat took off! Oh my GAWD!!

It took prolly 5 miles for the adrenline rush to subside...........and then, of course, I tried it AGAIN!!

That was several years ago and here I am, a hopeless v boost addict!!

But.....I'm not alone.....am I!!:biglaugh:

I'd had several bikes but, although I always wanted one, never a v max. A used v max showed up at the local bike shop, a beautiful '85 with about 20K on the clock. One look and I had to have it. I made a deal for it and was told to come back at 3:00, it would be plated and ready to go.

Man.....what a long day!! I showed up at 3:00 with my helmet under my arm and my knees trembling ever so slighty! Sure enough, there she was, just like promised! The guys came out, guess they all wanted to hear the v max. I'm thinking this is just great, I'm shaking at the knees, my stomach is doing flops cause of the reputation of these things, and here's 5 guys from the shop out to see me drop it, or stall it, or some other ass wipe thing that I just knew was going to happen!

Well, I got it headed east on US # 11 without a whole lot of embarassment, (too much throttle prior to letting the clutch out but that wasn't really TOO bad) and after a few miles the cold sweat in my arm pits began to dry and I was feeling pretty good.

Couple miles after that the good feeling started to turn a little cocky, I thought shit, this really isn't so scary, I can handle this thing...no problem! Let's see what this v boost bullshit is all about! I went down a couple gears, going about 40 at the time, and screwed it up! Wow, this thing's got some pretty good power, I'm thinking as the tach quickly climbs to the high 5K's.

It was right around 6K when it happened! My arms were almost snapped off, the skin on my cheeks was stretched back to my ears and that fucker flat took off! Oh my GAWD!!

It took prolly 5 miles for the adrenline rush to subside...........and then, of course, I tried it AGAIN!!

That was several years ago and here I am, a hopeless v boost addict!!

But.....I'm not alone.....am I!!:biglaugh:
Your not alone at all danny, not at all!:punk:

Max??? oh, I remember him, up to 6 grand i thought wow this pulls good and hard. after 6k rpm,elbows not quiet so bent any more and then 9.5 rpm quick like a bunny!!! was on a flat road but all of a sudden I'm going up hill??? FCK me but rear is spinnin and I can't steer??
It all happened so quick, only 14 sessions of counsoling left.....

I will never forget my first VMAX ride...

It was 1991 and I was at the dragstrip dragracing my GSXR and my buddy Mickey had a 1985 VMAX with slick and bars... He always wanted me to make a pass on it since back then I was 175lbs to his 240...
Well on a Friday evening during test and tune I agreed to take this beast down the track....
I climbed on this pig and it felt like a pig compared to riding sport bikes, and the raise of the rear due to the shaft drive was wierd. I took it for a ride through the gears down the return to just get the feel of the bike before I took it on the track...
I backed it into the bleach box got the rear tire wet and rolled up to some dry asphalt, clamed down on the front brake and popped it up into 2nd gear and let the clutch go as I whacked the gas.. GGGGGRRRRRRR!!! As the furious tone came from that no baffle kerker 421 exhaust,, this thing was wild I thought in my mind as I squinting trying to read the piece of shit OEM tach reading 8K rolled out and staged it up..
I remember I staged in and as soon as I seen the 2nd amber light up I went WOT and dumped the clutch on the 3rd amber.. GAWD what a feeling almost like a diesel truck with turbo pulling a house down as she jumped off the line and bumped the wheelie bars.. I remember it felt so long stroked as it felt forever to bang 2nd.... hit 3rd and went through the traps and in honesty I was glad it was over. I believe it ran 6.60 something at 103... It was a ride and memorable to say the least...
19 yrs later here I am on my own VMAX raising hell.

Well, as soon as I am able to ride my new Vmax I'll post my thoughts. Right now, the most I've done is sit on her in the garage while running thinking geez, this thing is gonna take off out of here on her own soon. Exhaust sounds like she's saying "C,mon, c,mon, c,mon". Sounds like a cammed 350 Chev at the lights just waiting to roar.

One question, is this bike really that bad in the corners? I know it's not a sport bike, but does it handle as good as a regular cruiser?

After reading all your posts, I feel very "at home" at this Forum as I share many of the same sentiments. I often times felt almost embarrassed the way I had feelings for my Maxes. My wife recogonizes my affliction as I have had her as long as there have been Maxes. One of you guys said that you got off your bike just to look at and think, man, I have a Max! I've been doing that since 1986. I couldn't feel anymore kindred in my feelings for this bike. It has been my adrenaline rush, my psychiatrist, my testoterone pump, and a trusted friend. An inanimate object should not have that power, yet... it does.

Nothing at all to be ashamed about. Simply put, I love my '85. I will never sell it, no matter how old or broke I get. The day I bought my Roadstar (in 2002) the dealer commented that the Max's days are numbered - he'd be glad to buy it off me. I replied that the Roadstar will be gone and forgotten and I'll still be riding the Max. I don't care what it's worth in some "Blue Book" - it's mine.

First thought: Where's the damn kickstart??

Second thought: This thing is WAY too quiet!

Third Thought: Must remember to have it pointed in the direction I
want to go, when I twist the grip!

Last thought: Jeeezussss F'n Keerist!!!!! (I think I'm in love!!).

Philthy

First of all i had always wanted a max since i was 16 in the 80s.Fast forward to 2002 when my dad bought a stock max with jet kit an full hindle.Pulled in his drive way with my 5.0 stang which i thought gave a good rush on acceleration.He threw the keys at me told me to see what i thought,wowow .The next week the stang was for sell and on the look for a max. JOHN

I had just wrecked my Seca and needed another bike. Always dreamed of a Vmax since Jr. High and figured I might as well start looking 'cause there ain't that many around.
The next morning I looked in the paper and there was an 86 for sale. I had the wife drive me to look at it and took my helmet just in case.
When we pulled up that old gravel road and into the driveway of someone's single-wide trailer I thought it was the wrong place.
The guy came out and led me to his tractor shed where it had been sitting for a few years.
He jumped it off and it came to life. I offered him $2800.
I left that driveway on the gravel in the cold. Probably twenty degrees with very little gear.

This things a kitten. I thought they were supposed to be BADD!

I got to the asphault and turned right.
That's when it struck.
I was in mid turn, and gassed it past 6k.
Full throttle, back tire spinning, front tire in the air, holding on for dear life, and too scared to know I was cold as hell.

I backed off and caught my thoughts. Did that just happen?
Let's make sure.

Sure enough she's a kitten. Nice and easy through 3rd. The road opened up. I dropped it to 2nd and opened it up.
Sure as shit!
Let's try that again!
My ears moved a little further back 'cause they didn't have room for the smile on my face. I think I pissed myself and that's the only reason I didn't feel the cold.

First thoughts on a Vmax... I didn't have anyone take a picture, but I'd imagine it would show a fear of God and a big fucking grin!

After cruising around the backstreets to get feel of the bike I headed for a stoplight and a straight stretch of road.

I was determined to see what this big heavy bastard could do. Lights changed and I NAILED IT.:rocket bike:

... a few seconds later and way,way,way down the road I was thinking...

"OH YEAH, :th_image003:I gotta do THAT again ":surprise:

(Just like the night I lost my virginity) :clapping:

In 2006 when my father passed away and left me some money I was in the market for a bike.I know that I wanted a vmax but my friend had me leaning towards a hyabusa so , I put a deposit on one.
Well I guess it was a good thing that those bastards at Berts mega mall sold it out from underneath me and because I was so pissed off I told the bastard manager that I would never buy anything from them ever but, lo and behold the next day I found a 2000 black carbon fibre up in Big Bear for $5,000.00 so me and my boss from work went up there in his truck Thinking that we were going to haul it down the hill in the truck he made me ride it down and it was the most beautiful and exciting ride of my life and when we got down to the freeway I opened it up and the v-boost kicked in (something I had only heard about) I shot past my boss like he was in reverse.:ummm:He later told me that he used to ride but was too scared to ride mine because it was too much and it shot passed him like a greased bullet . I couldn`t smile any wider cause my ears were in the way.:punk:

Gobs of power, sketchy handling which I would need to do something about, and hey - my back isnt sore like it is on a crotch rocket, where can I find a nice minty one (that only took 1 month after looking at every max in the area). These thoughts were followed shortly by - I have an empty tank and I have gone how far????

Having this bike for a year now, I can say that I absolutely love it. I have had several bikes in the past, but none that I enjoyed as much as the max.

Latest posts

Back