Zrx1200 shocks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First put the shocks on the bike...

Just kidding.

But seriously, put them on and ride over your favorite bad road for a few minutes. You'll be able to figure it out pretty fast, I think.

Also, I kinda want to do this.

Go to ZRXOA forum and look around there. They have a tutorial to set the rear shocks...

What would a good starting point be for setting zrx1200 shocks on a bike with a standard swingarm?

Weigh about 250

Sean

You want about a inch of sag in the spring when sitting on the bike.
Dampening, start out w/ the middle setting. Go out and ride it. Your not going to really tell that much difference on that shock. The spring sag is the most important.

How long are the shocks? Same as a Vmax? Is the front end dropped?

There is a lot that goes into this.

You can call me at 828-964-3343

Marcus

From what I read before buying and installing the longer shocks on the bike; adding rear height would slightly reduce the rake of the fork and move some of the weight of the bike onto the front wheel. Hopefully helping to make the bike steer more neutral. I read this was a common thought that too much weight was placed on the back wheel leading to some of the squirrelly handling that is associated with the gen 1 bikes.

Suspension height to my knowledge was stock height. Don't know what stock fork length is. I could check that.

Had progressive shocks on the rear. Not sure if anyone can identify what they are, pics attached.

I'm 6'4 and wanted some additional leg room also added a Corbin seat. Zrx 1200 shocks are about an inch taller more typically used on extended swing arms (or so I have been told).

I'll hunt around on the zrx pages too for info.

There is a strong possibility that I have a gross conceptual error in regards to motorcycle suspension.

In all honesty I'm not an aggressiverider. I only have three things I want to accomplish.
1. Make the bike look a littler nicer (done).
2. Make the bike a little more comfortable so I can actually ride it, (TBD it's snowed everyday since I got it, ha).
3. Not get bucked off from something stupid that I have done to make it look a little nicer and feel a little bigger (TBD).

Sean

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1392098419931.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392098419931.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 46
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392098439999.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392098439999.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 37
  • uploadfromtaptalk1392098462079.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1392098462079.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 30
Not sure what model they are. If you end up selling them, I would be interested. (looks like they are 412's)

From what I read before buying and installing the longer shocks on the bike; adding rear height would slightly reduce the rake of the fork and move some of the weight of the bike onto the front wheel. Hopefully helping to make the bike steer more neutral. I read this was a common thought that too much weight was placed on the back wheel leading to some of the squirrelly handling that is associated with the gen 1 bikes.

Suspension height to my knowledge was stock height. Don't know what stock fork length is. I could check that.

Had progressive shocks on the rear. Not sure if anyone can identify what they are, pics attached.

I'm 6'4 and wanted some additional leg room also added a Corbin seat. Zrx 1200 shocks are about an inch taller more typically used on extended swing arms (or so I have been told).

There is a strong possibility that I have a gross conceptual error in regards to motorcycle suspension.

In all honesty I'm not an aggressiverider. I only have three things I want to accomplish.
2. Make the bike a little more comfortable so I can actually ride it, (TBD it's snowed everyday since I got it, ha).
3. Not get bucked off from something stupid that I have done to make it look a little nicer and feel a little bigger (TBD).

Sean
I've had my front suspension lowered 2" for about 4 years and changed it last year to have just 1" lower. I also did a few other changes like 3" longer swingarm, radials on 18" wheels so any changes were not readily apparent. The 2" drop did quicken the steering up a little but it was very stable, and could ridden no handed ; I could even hit the handlebars and it would immediately center with no wobbles.
You will be increasing the rear suspension length you will be quickening the steering but maybe to a lesser extent than my 2" drop. Like you suggested that the bike can use a little more weight on the front but I feel it is also aided by having a touch quicker steering as well. I'm no suspension expert and this is all based off of what I have experienced doing mods on my bike. I know there are more than a few guys that will be able to explain it better and also help you get to where you bike is good for you. Like Marcus mentioned, setting the sag (see youtube link below) is important in getting the best performance from your suspension.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBlqVx4mWUw

Last edited:

Sean

These are 418's and used to be some of the better shocks they sold. For sure not the cheaper 412's.

Thanks for the info,

Anyone know what the standard length of the forks should be?

I have been kicking around selling the old shocks. I'll have to hunt around for the value, any thoughts Sean?

This may be a stupid question but what size spanner wrench should I get to adj. the zrx shocks?

Sean

Back