lower crank case removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bacchus

Reaction score
Ok, guys spent my thanksgiving carving the turkey so to speak... my '85 is fully dis assembled. I have the motor mounted up on a engine stand and I am hoping to get the case halves split today.

my question is : whats the best way to separate the lower case half? motor right side up dropping the lower case half downward or flip the heart of the beast upside down and lift it up and off...

hey sean-- can you give me the crash course on transmission inspection.... seller said was jumping out of second and his son attempted repair by replacing shift fork.... there is new shift segment in here so who know what else he had done at that time...

do I need to pull flywheel assembly?

No need to take the flywheel off. Pull the bottom off with the ending upside down (heads do not need to come off). Don't forget the small bolt up in the front corner from the top down (it's all by itself). The slave cylinder has to come off, all covers, the clutch basket out so you can get the "C" shaped strap removed (larger one going across both case halves).

I think I have pics showing what the gears should look like. They should have nice crisp dogs but likely you'll see one side (the upshift) that will show rounding and will be shiny. The teeth will probably be just fine.

Sean

Bacchus, kudos to you for having the balls to do this yourself. So tell me, why haven't you purchased Damon F's engine and carb videos for sale on Ebay? You gotta get those Brother. I just got my carb DVD and give it "Two Scoops" rating. I feel they are indespensible for all us peons. You tube has some clips of the footage. Telling them Patmax sent you.

gotem...carb and engine vid...awesome ....highly recomended

Done...
who knows, maybe my daughters 20 years from now would like to fix the carb themselves .... Thanks for the input

Hi Auggie, go to eBay and go to "parts and accessories" then "Asian" then "yamaha". Lastly you type in engine carb video. You might pull up a single video but get the combo set with engine and carb for $20 bucks. Well worth it!

Pictures of the transmissions are on our Morleys Muscle Facebook pages. Unless you really know what to look for you might miss some of the worn areas.

Sean

Check out Sean's Facebook Page and watch his YouTube video's as well! A great resouorce!!!
Here is another resource every Vmax owner should have: Damon Ferraiuolo's engine and carb videos. Here is a link to a Ebay offering(engine and carb!) good for 5 more days (to 1/7/11): http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Vmax...rcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb3d1ff24

Here is Damon's seller profile:
http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/luci0903/

Just scored this..Thanks Brian for the heads up:cheers:

I also bought the rebuild DVD. It's very good, I just wish there is a video for cylinder honing, tranny inspection and valve grinding.

Back