Mod or not to mod

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Let the mods begin-or not

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I have been collecting options for some time for my bike, a stock (relatively) 1992 I have had for 19 years.

I have a set of Stage 7 Dynojet-kitted carbs, a UFO 4/1, COP's, Dyna 3000 & Dyna 3-ohm mini-coils, and misc. other stuff not yet installed. Should I leave it stock, or should I install the hot-rod parts? I got the stuff over the last year from various members & eBay.

I say defo install it all! I was in the same predicament - I bought shitloads of stuff while pining for my bike for almost a year while waiting for it to arrive, so when I got it and the carbs needed help I took the opportunity to install everything I'd bought!

How about this logic? Youve had your bike for 19 years... you love it, but its the same old-same old. NOT THAT THATS BAD!!! But, you install all of your goodies, youll fall in love all over again with a new bike.

AND... you have the resources here and anyone/everyone that can help you tune, or get the bugs out for the best price around. free.

i say get that stuff on there and party bud.

might i also suggest a set of front progressive springs from sean. they make the world of difference on comfort.

peace,
evan...

Thank-you for the input. I didn't mention I also installed a 1993+ front end & have Race-Tech straight-rate springs & RICOR valves for the front end, again, not-yet installed. I already installed the Progressive Suspension rear shocks & radial tires f & r. The bike also got All-Balls steering head bearings when I did the front end & I also installed Sumitomo 4-piston front calipers & Russell SS front brake lines. I also bought a complete Kawasaki USD front end, including master cylinders & etc that I am debating about installing. If I don't, I would probably offer it here.

Sounds like you have two Vmaxes, one for riding and one in pieces :rofl_200:

I'd say put all the mods on that you can, but be carefull, if something doesn't feel right or you find a spot of oil on the ground the day after then it's going to be difficult to pin it down to the one mod that had a loose connection

I have been collecting options for some time for my bike, a stock (relatively) 1992 I have had for 19 years.

I have a set of Stage 7 Dynojet-kitted carbs, a UFO 4/1, COP's, Dyna 3000 & Dyna 3-ohm mini-coils, and misc. other stuff not yet installed. Should I leave it stock, or should I install the hot-rod parts? I got the stuff over the last year from various members & eBay.

I would say that it depends if your satisfied with the way it performs/sounds now. If so, and it runs great, leave it alone, if not, than throw on the go fast parts and get it tuned up.

If you go ahead and install these parts and get it tune right, than you pretty much have the same reliable running machine you had before, but with more umph.

The fear some have is, if I put performance mods on my engine, i will have to continually fiddle fuck around with it to keep it running right. That's not true, once tuned right, it will stay that way. I have over 30,000 miles since my carb/exhaust, etc... upgrades and don't do much fiddle fucking around with it, other than the regular stuff, carb sync, carb cleaning, etc...

Mike

If your wife ride's with you now you might want to let her here a bike with mod exhaust before you do anything. If thats not the case im with nst. If you dont need the money put the shit on and have a BLAST................Mike

Exhaust is worth it just for the sound. The stock exhaust sounds weak. Aftermarket really gives it that great noise that I love to hear. The extra HP is a bonus.

STG7 doesn't mean you need to constantly tune. Once you get it dialed it you are good to go. Vmax carbs are maintenance whores anyways so its not like you wouldn't be diving in for one reason or another every so often.

If you don't feel as though you need a rev limiter than I would not bother with the Dyna ignition.

Some guys swear the dyna coils are great. Some guys say they are junk. I would probably put on the COPS before I put in the dyna coils. I would not do the COPS if I did not have the resistors.

Having the USD forks is part of the battle. Its the cheap part though. Still need to worry about triples, extensions, brake lines, maybe new pads, bearings, seals, caliper rebuild, steering stem bearings, etc..... On top of that, they probably need an oil change, seals and re-sprung to support the vmax weight. If you feel like spending that much, go for it. Otherwise, I'd be happy with the late vmax forks, racetech springs, upgraded brakes, russell lines, and radial front wheel you already have.

^ I agree Brian.
If I had all of those Items I would definitely Mod it.
I would however leave my VBoost Connected even with a Stage 7 Jet Kit.

16-0 I expected no different. Have at it.:punk:
Steve-o

Sounds like a NY Jets score before they implode. I am waiting to see if the Dolphins can do what they should have done during their first meeting, at their second meeting this season.

I stopped-by the shop to check on the progress, and to inform the owner, Steve, that I will be dropping-off my UFO 4/1 to replace the stock exhaust. I have also managed to acquire a complete set of new-take-off stock exhaust components, if I ever want to return to stock, maybe for a show or something.

I also bought a complete Kawasaki USD front end, including master cylinders & etc that I am debating about installing. If I don't, I would probably offer it here.

I have a Kaw ZX750R front end on the '98 and love it. Fine tuning it has great satisfaction , as small imputs can bring big smiles when leaned over and your scary / favorite bump in the turn disappears . :punk:

Attachments

• DSC02625.jpg
    DSC02625.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 24
I have a Kaw ZX750R front end on the '98 and love it. Fine tuning it has great satisfaction , as small imputs can bring big smiles when leaned over and your scary / favorite bump in the turn disappears . :punk:

I always enjoy seeing your bike pics, as the list of what you haven't added is probably the shorter one! I am going to go mess w/the Kawi today (my resource for a set of USD forks it wears). It needs two "May-pops" for rubber as both tires on it are trashed & won't hold air. That makes it a bitch to try to move. I am also gonna check on some other stuff I found which are good deals.

If it was me I'd install all of it except the stage 7 carbs and after sorting it out then think about the carbs.
With the carbs I'd leave the vboost in place and maybe "tone down" the stage 7 recommended jetting.
My stage 7's when stock ended up being really just the stuff needed to get it running right with the individual sit filters.

Ill give you a heads up on the coils;
If they're like the 3 ohm DynaTeks I bought, the ones listed as fitting the vmax?
They are NOT a direct fit and will require some creativity to install.

This is because the holes in the "core bars", in relation to where the spark plug wire goes, are 90 degrees off from the stock ones which causes you to either make some adapters to mount them or roll the coil where the high tension wire isn't pointed the same direction as the stockers.
Not a huge deal, took me an afternoon with some aluminum angle stock to make em fit. I don't regret them at all. The spark is quite good.

Medic,

I am neutral and will give you no advice nor vote.... But don't you think you are setting yourself up for a "do it" additude from this forum? LOL I don't think there are very many purist in this group if there are they are hiding out in the dark corners... LOL

"Make your own decisions without being swayed by your peers and never looking back to regret what you have done!"

G

Why buy all the parts if you're not going to use them?Though I can't talk I buy stuff all the time with every intention of using them for my projects hence the 3 pairs of projector lights,3 front wheels,a spare vmax ,bar end mirrors,rear sets etc etc .BUT what I do find is that with every mod the bike feels like a new bike and life is all about the experience .If you don't like the mod then you can always remove it.Cheers Kevman.

Latest posts

Back