137 MPH governed MPH WTF ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2stangs69-91

Reaction score
It says it will allow 143 for 1/4 mile blasts. That really sucks hopefully it will come with a switch to bypass it.....or you better plan for a power commander upgrade which with all the electronics will be spendy. So at least you will be able to pass it top end on a older Vmax if you got the balls to keep on the throtle long enough to catch it lol. :bang head:

It says it will allow 143 for 1/4 mile blasts. That really sucks hopefully it will come with a switch to bypass it.....or you better plan for a power commander upgrade which with all the electronics will be spendy. So at least you will be able to pass it top end on a older Vmax if you got the balls to keep on the throtle long enough to catch it lol. :bang head:

Makes it a little tougher to outrun those police helicopters? Being limited to 137 (or 143) won't be an issue for this poser. :biglaugh:

I would guess the low top speed is to show that they arent trying to compete in the top speed 186 mph wars and are lookin at the 1/4 mile times ... as in the beginning. Besides it might help Insurance wise .

Still....137-143 really sucks major hooter...I hit that almost daily on the my way to work and back home.....on my frame flexxing wobbler.....gonna suck to get dusted by an old vmax....

I would have thought that 5th gear would have been enough of a speed governor. :ummm:

Still....137-143 really sucks major hooter.....gonna suck to get dusted by an old vmax....
:bang head: Yes it would! :punk::punk::punk:

.....I can see it now, new guy buys the new Vmax riding down the road doing about 130, feeling like he's got the world by the ballz.
Then along I come on my $3500, 1992 Vmax, albeit with a couple mods, go past him and disappear while still gaining speed at 150 mph.
....All the while he's lookng down at his $18 k investment and asking himself WHY, MOTHER YAMAHA, WHY?
:rofl_200::rofl_200:

hahahaha...oh Christ this is getting hilarious....

Tell you what.... Every mercedes for the last ten years (600hpv12s included) has had a limiter of 155..... Gentlmen thats called product liability defence...

"well your honor, the defended crashed at 180mph, but the car is limited to 155. He altered it for the purpose of speeding there by signaling his intent to exceed the products capabilities" ha ha

Seriously though....STOP thinking of this bike in the way you think about the old max . Go to a hayabusa ("habitual-usea") web site or a Vrod site and see what the electronics discussion is about.... Get rid of your notions and preceptions about first steps to modifications..... yamaha knows.... 99% of vmax owners will go out a get a computer module that will get rid of limitations on speed, raise the red line, change the throttle map, etc etc etc..... In 12 months time it will be standard to hear it.

I bet this bike does high 9s out of the box and with just this bit of electronic tuning will be in the mid to low 9s..... that extra long swing arm is gonna be the big difference in hooking... ad a slick, some track tuning time and a nice 125 pound hot shot rider.....high high eights?????

:bang head: Yes it would! :punk::punk::punk:

.....I can see it now, new guy buys the new Vmax riding down the road doing about 130, feeling like he's got the world by the ballz.
Then along I come on my $3500, 1992 Vmax, albeit with a couple mods, go past him and disappear while still gaining speed at 150 mph.
....All the while he's lookng down at his $18 k investment and asking himself WHY, MOTHER YAMAHA, WHY?
:rofl_200::rofl_200:

That would be what those who street race cars call "the ricer fly-by". Generally, once the race is well over and the victor is slowing down to sane speeds, the kid in the fart can equipped Civic finally catches up, flies by and flashes his hazards, in a sad attempt to claim the "victory". The reality is, the new Max will be well ahead of you before you catch up with your superior, non-governed, top speed.

I can assure you, turning that governor off will be a simple issue.

Mike

If it's an electronic govenor they are easily over come with the addition of a power commander or in some cases a simple wire clip. The first generation ZX-12 were govenored at the magic 186 mph. There was a single wire going to the ECU if clipped took out the govenor. There will be ways around it. I just do not know why they limited it so low. If they want this to run low 9.xx's stock, 143mph isn't going to do it.

At first I was bummed by the low speed limitation but then I had to think how many times I actually got going that fast on my Max. Typically it's just a quick run from a complete stop and in a matter of a few seconds it's over. I'm not too worried about the limitation, as others have said, there will be a work around. I'm more concerned with the price of this thing and I would like to see some extensive testing done on it. My dealer is supposed to get back to me tomorrow with a more realistic number (under $17,995) and there's a good chance I'll put money down on it!!

The difference is how fast it gets there. You will be limited to 137 in just a few seconds from a nice high speed pass. Plus if the handeling and suspension is what they claim it should ride sweet up there at that speed. What limits the early V- max top speed is fear of death lol. I just think it is a bummer you have to spend money on your new bike to modify the gov right away. I would have to. BTW you can run low 9's at 143 mph it is done all the time.

I wonder if this thing wil have a "black box" I was kind of suprised to find out that Big Dogs have had them since '05. They look at the data to make sure you didnt over rev the engine so they can void your warranty.

Its a simple fix. You guys get so worried over something that can be easily bypassed. Just like the Hayabusa when it came out in 1999 it would run over 200MPH 202 if I am correct. The US DOT had a holy shit cow and made the new rule of max speed 187.
Well all this is for is to make money, every motorcycle performance gooorooo came out with an overide.
Basically its an inline mod that tricks the bike and it makes it think its in 4th gear and allows max RPM's. Thats how they limit the speed. When the VMAX hits 5th gear it will be limited to an RPM. When the fix comes out it will be fixed and hopefully we will be able to see 200+MPH on the VMAX, so breath its ok!

Speed sensers can be unplugged in about a second, lol, then it reads 0 to the computer!

Speed sensers can be unplugged in about a second, lol, then it reads 0 to the computer!

Speed sensors are mostly used on automobiles mounting them on the transmission. When unplugged they will throw a service engine code.

Motorcycles use the gear indication and than limit the RPM for that specific gear, they also use the gear indication for timing retarding. Most sport bikes use this in first gear to prevent uncontrollable wheelies with novice riders.

Back