1500 mtr flatsides or stock carbs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1967vmax

Reaction score
This winter im either putting in morleys 1500 or pcws 1500, Prob going to go with Seans mtr . My bike now has hmf exhaust with seans jet kit (sasyvboost controller) whould like to keep the v-boost if possible and run the stock carbs, but if i cant use the v boost i think id get a few more hp by running flatsides, want fuel injection bu to much$$$$$$$$$. Anbody else running this setup and if so what kind of #s are you running. thanks JIM Also considering the 1428 mtr

Personally I don't like flat sides for a daily driver but to each their own I always say.

I HATE the clicking they make. Sounds like loose rockers...

Chris

I would think Morley or Gainy would be the best to answer that question??

Yeah i know ,just wanted to see if anybody with a pcw mtr or morley mtr, what setup they were running,EFI is out for now to costly 4 all the probs.

If I remember correctly John at PCW told me that if you build a 1500 you have to go with flatslides. The stock carbs are too small for the engines needs for air/fuel. Of course I may be incorrect, but if my memory serves me correctly that is what he said.

I have been talking to Sean i have his kit and if im not mistaking you can use his setup which i have, but want to know if its worth the extra $$$ for the flatsides for the hp gain if any.

My 1428 with Sean's kit made 5 more hp and 7 ft/lbs more torque than another 1428 built right alongside of mine with VGas. Sean's kit is more streetable and as it retains the Vboost and the velocity stacks in the airbox it produces better results than flatslides. John at PCW has been recommending Sean's kit with his 1428's.

JIM thanks for the info i see you you changed the look of the max since i last talked to you at THUNDER looks good. What all did pcw do to the 1428 what size cams etc? JIM#3933

Yeah i know ,just wanted to see if anybody with a pcw mtr or morley mtr, what setup they were running,EFI is out for now to costly 4 all the probs.

Save your money, the EFI has issues.

I have run 39 Flat slides for 5 years on my 1200. If your interested in my experience I be glade to share?

i have seans jet kit on stock carbs with v-boost and a 1500 built by him in my 93.the stock carbs work just fine.im at a 162.5 main and the needles{factory pro's}on the highest clip.no washers.it could use some primary tuning but its not bad-just a tad lean when cold.ill fix that when riding season is over this winter.wide open throttle is great -no starvation.ive run some quarter mile times with this setup and all were in the 11.40's.not hammering it hard out of the hole.-wheelie problem.you can forget about keeping the front end on the ground in first and second.if i had it strapped i could drop my 60 foot and do a little better.im heavy too 300 lbs.so that doesnt help anything.except planting the ass on launch. you will love it -just like a stock max on steroids.later,mike

I have 10,000 miles on my PCW 1500 Tourmaster and have ran and dynoed my motor with the Morley Muscle Kit, PCW 39mm Flatslides and am now running the Wildbros. EFI. My motor has made from 160 to 165 RWHP depending on the weather and particular dyno. I have dyno comparison sessions from:

PCW Racing, Jay Riddle Racing, Rats Hole and Wildbros.

The motor was smoother and breathed better with the Flatsides over the Morley Muscle Kit. Both the carbs option had my RWHP peak at about 162 @ about 9500 rpm. The EFI continued making HP right through redline and I had the dyno operator shut it down at 10,000 rpm and 165 RWHP. No since blowing a motor. I have offered for sale my EFI and considering going back to stage 7 with 4 K&N only to raise cash for my 2009 upgrades. I think that Bang for the Buck favors Flatsides in my unqualified opinion. I also believe that given enough dyno tuning any of the three will prove very good numbers. If Sean builds you a motor, let him take the time to dial in his Muscle Kit. If Gainey builds you a motor then the Flatslides are an almost bolt on and go. If you go the EFI route, be prepared to learn EFI and invest in a good A/F meter as street tuning is the Best Way to Dial In the final A/F.
After using 3 different dynos, including Wildbros in Florida, on the street tuning proved Best. Also, the EFI will require a very good condition charging system. If I can be of help let me know.

rick rash
Illinois

Thanks, Rick you already have. DO you have any overheating issues with the 1500, also thinking about a 1428 mtr.thanks jim#3933

Latest posts

Back