1985 Deep Scarlet colour

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bendini

Reaction score
Hi Folks

I have posted about this before. I have a 1986 US Model Vmax manufactured 10/85. I want it stock and am considering painting the dummy tank etc 'Deep Scarlet' some of you guys reckon this colour was carried over in to '86 but I have the following on fairly good authority

1985:
1FK-2171A-00-KW COVER, TOP | U.R. DARK AMETHYST
1FK-YK217-00-KU COVER, TOP | U.R. DEEP SCARLET

1986:
1FK-2171A-00-MX COVER, TOP (MAROON) | U.R. SPARKLE MAROON

I believe the '86 brochure does give 'black' as an option and one of you previously said you had owned 2 black '86 bikes. Does anybody have a stock '86 in Deep Scarlet or should it definitely be 'Sparkle Maroon' or 'black'?

p.s. anybody got one with red reflectors on the radiator surround?

Thanks

I agree with Sean who gave me the paint info. in the first place that the RS bike paint website drop down year by year list is inaccurate. It shows the Candy Apple Red colour (color) for 1986/87 and I don't think that this was introduced until 1988. If anybody with stock '86 models can post photos that would be interesting?

Thanks

Mark

2 options in 1986 in US (U49): Sparkle Maroon or Shiny Black.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

The 87' were only made to Canada market (2LT) i think. I have never seen anyone talking about the 2HY or 2LU 87' to US market anywhere in forums.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Im no expert i had the 85 model in Amethyst an the the other option was Maroon i dont think these colors were carried over in 86 a friend a 86 and i is a black color

1986 NOS
uhy4a6ud.jpg
ty5aqe2e.jpg
u4a6esa4.jpg
azuresab.jpg
2yge2a7y.jpg
5avevagu.jpg

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Have a front fender to match but has flaws, but...have the proper code paint pint to redo it with.
Hard to get perfect pics under fluorescent lighting. Hope no reflections show me in my underwear. It is 12:20 am as I shoot these shots in my laundry room!

Hi thanks for pics. Are these panels 'Deep Scarlet' off an '85 or Sparkle Maroon' from an '86. I would describe your colour (color) as maroon although all pics. I have seen so far of '86s in 'Sparkle Maroon' look more like purple?

By the way I CAN see you in your pants (shorts) - "two nations separated by the same language"- reflected in the dummy tank!

still waiting to hear from you about the sissy baR ...................

Last edited:
These are 86 vintage tins. I'll check my paint can from Colorite. Perhaps you can get a matching paint locally.

Yup. Just as I remember it. That 86 red was darker red than my 85. Can't remember the last time I saw that OEM 86 red. Thanks for the memories.

Is that...........OMG!...............tighty whities in the reflection! lol

I'm a boxer brief man if you must know!
You guys crack me up. Here is a pic of last weeks Powdercoat run in chrome.They would make a good match!
eje3ajaq.jpg
8u9a4ejy.jpg
6a3atyvu.jpg

pat you still that sissy bar bro remember me lol ?????????????

Back