1985 rear wheel going from 15" too 18"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not saying it isn't one, just doesn't look like one to my untrained eye.

I say that based on the type of rim lips used and the way the weld bead looks.

My welds definitely look better on mine but I don't know much about welding. Also they cut the lips off mine not the hub. It doesn't seem as sturdy the way that one is done...

no problem guys. here are the ones I sent him, just didn't have easy access at the time.

THANX for the pics!
I have never been a fan of the 85 wheel
(we have cut up a BUNCH, just for the hubs...)
but I had never seen it in one solid color before either...
I like it a WHOLE LOT BETTER than that '2-tone' stock look!

(We have done a few front 85-86 front 5-spoke wheels,
& I like that look, particularly in black...Should have figured the rear would look better too...)

VERY nice, & THANX again for showing us!

Tip: When powdercoating a rear wheel, don't worry about the rubber in the cushdrive bushings...It will hold up just fine.
Just make sure you tape the whole drive area off, including the snout...
We heated a wheel to 500+ degrees, & you still couldn't even make a dent in the rubber, even with a screwdriver...

Didn't Kosman do a wire wheel conversion of a stock wheel for the 1986 ten second shootout? I got the original magazine feature stashed away somewhere. Now a laced up wheel, that's light! If I remember right, this is the same time Kerker's Vmax 4-2-1 showed up. Gee, that was only 26 years ago!

We have that 'Takin' it to the Nines' bike here;
It suffered alot of abuse at the hands of its' second owner,
& needs a complete overhaul,
but it's just nice to have 'saved' a piece of MAX history...

BTW, the extra mods done to exhaust & carbs by Dynojet & Kerker,
that were NOT replicated in the pipe, OR the Stage 7 jetkit, that they offered to the public, are an eye-opener, & CHAPS MY -SS, every time I look at it, or think about what I found, the 1st time I saw this bike...NEITHER were anything like the products they offered, & both companies have perpetuated this FRAUD, for YEARS now...It takes MORE than just a Kerker & a Stage 7, to even get CLOSE to the numbers Gleason put up with that bike...(Yes, I know 'PeeWee's skills were good for a couple tenths of that, of course...) One look at the pipe, or down the throats of the carbs, & the TRUTH is plain to see...ALOT of MAXers fell squarely into that 'trap', yours truly included, & BOTH companies SHOULD be ashamed.

We have that 'Takin' it to the Nines' bike here;
It suffered alot of abuse at the hands of its' second owner,
& needs a complete overhaul,
but it's just nice to have 'saved' a piece of MAX history...

BTW, the extra mods done to exhaust & carbs by Dynojet & Kerker,
that were NOT replicated in the pipe, OR the Stage 7 jetkit, that they offered to the public, are an eye-opener, & CHAPS MY -SS, every time I look at it, or think about what I found, the 1st time I saw this bike...NEITHER were anything like the products they offered, & both companies have perpetuated this FRAUD, for YEARS now...It takes MORE than just a Kerker & a Stage 7, to even get CLOSE to the numbers Gleason put up with that bike...(Yes, I know 'PeeWee's skills were good for a couple tenths of that, of course...) One look at the pipe, or down the throats of the carbs, & the TRUTH is plain to see...ALOT of MAXers fell squarely into that 'trap', yours truly included, & BOTH companies SHOULD be ashamed.

I can totally believe that and am not surprised at all. I've never seen that bike other than a crappy photo but its pretty obvious that we as a community are not getting the parts that were on that bike when most guys are lucky to run low 11's. Not sure what they did but if they could make it available to the public I'm sure it would sell.

Edit: Congrats on owning a piece of history!

I sent them a 92 rear wheel and it was basically $700 when it was said and done. New wheel and tire combo is 6lbs heavier than stock so this does add weight! I'll attach a pic of the wheel...

Attachments

• IMAG0284.jpg
    IMAG0284.jpg
    34.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMAG0285.jpg
    IMAG0285.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMAG0286.jpg
    IMAG0286.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 41
I can totally believe that and am not surprised at all. I've never seen that bike other than a crappy photo but its pretty obvious that we as a community are not getting the parts that were on that bike when most guys are lucky to run low 11's. Not sure what they did but if they could make it available to the public I'm sure it would sell.

Edit: Congrats on owning a piece of history!

Mike, just from looking down the throats, I don't think the carb mods are anything they could offer in a kit form...There is actually what appears to be brass or copper tubing fitted inside the bores...Not like anything I have ever seen...

The pipe is also much more complex than what Kerker offers...
(& would have been more work to make available as a bolton)

Still no excuse for doing what they did.

Now, whenever I have a choice between Dynojet or Kerker, & something else,
the something else gets it.

was there a stock swingarm on that bike?

Info appreciated Lil Jon, I'm about to pop one in the oven any day now. I also noticed peg brakets have a rubber piece in them that looks like a buster to get out. I have a spare one I'l heat and observe.
Thanks,
Steve

THANX for the pics!
I have never been a fan of the 85 wheel
(we have cut up a BUNCH, just for the hubs...)
but I had never seen it in one solid color before either...
I like it a WHOLE LOT BETTER than that '2-tone' stock look!

(We have done a few front 85-86 front 5-spoke wheels,
& I like that look, particularly in black...Should have figured the rear would look better too...)

VERY nice, & THANX again for showing us!

Tip: When powdercoating a rear wheel, don't worry about the rubber in the cushdrive bushings...It will hold up just fine.
Just make sure you tape the whole drive area off, including the snout...
We heated a wheel to 500+ degrees, & you still couldn't even make a dent in the rubber, even with a screwdriver...

Ok I got the rear tire and wheel combo figured out l was just wondering what size 18 inch radial tire people have been using on the factory front rim???

do not go larger than 110. it will cup too much.

Info appreciated Lil Jon, I'm about to pop one in the oven any day now. I also noticed peg brakets have a rubber piece in them that looks like a buster to get out. I have a spare one I'l heat and observe.
Thanks,
Steve

Steve,

I have pc'd the exhaust brackets on mine without any hassles with the rubber. I took it up to about 240'C. Sorry, can't think in American ATM. Maybe 450'F? Actually, that'll be about right, the clear cures at a bit less than 400' I think, and I would have off gassed a bit higher than that.

You won't have any problems.

FYI. I also did the air fittings at the top of the forks to match my triples. They have a nylon seal/bush. I made up a dummy pipe to go in while pc-ing in case the nylon melted. Didn't need to, it seemed totally OK.

Attachments

• 20111204_016.jpg
    20111204_016.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 30
I have a 110 front tyre, z6, I reckon it cups to much. Must be a smaller contact patch

240*C=464*F. 9/5 X temp in C. +32.

I have a 110 X 18" Bridgestone BT 023 Battleax front radial which is wearing well & is giving good grip while greatly-improving steering precision.

Back