1985 rear wheel going from 15" too 18"

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boathead70

Reaction score
I am thinking of sending my 85 rear wheel too Kosman too have it cut apart and made into a 18" wheel. I was just wondering if anyone has done this too a 85 rear wheel and if they are happy with the workmanship also I would like too see some pictures of the completed wheel any advice on this subject and alot of pictures would be greatly appropriated

i did a 17" wheel converesion and the welds are amazing. i can send you quite a few pics if you shoot me an email at morgan.ga(at)gmail.com.

the '85 conversions are different because i believe there isn't enough material to cut out the hub so they just weld on new lips. i love the look.

i did a 17" wheel converesion and the welds are amazing. i can send you quite a few pics if you shoot me an email at morgan.ga(at)gmail.com.

the '85 conversions are different because i believe there isn't enough material to cut out the hub so they just weld on new lips. i love the look.

My email address is [email protected]

+1 to the look of Garretts wheel. You'll love it. The welds are so perfect they add to the beauty of the wheel.
Steve-o

no problem guys. here are the ones I sent him, just didn't have easy access at the time.

Attachments

• 2010-10-04 18.31.46.jpg
    2010-10-04 18.31.46.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 99
  • 2010-10-04 18.32.05.jpg
    2010-10-04 18.32.05.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 2010-10-28 21.02.41.jpg
    2010-10-28 21.02.41.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 105
  • 2010-10-20 17.35.04.jpg
    2010-10-20 17.35.04.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 95
not sure how much kosman conversion is, but years ago I had mine converted by Deget Germany to 17x6 and chose a 25bolt 2 piece conversion. quality and looks were miles ahead of the one on pictures above, but the price was 620euro, ssss-salty ;)

Attachments

• untitled31.JPG
    untitled31.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 70
not sure how much kosman conversion is, but years ago I had mine converted by Deget Germany to 17x6 and chose a 25bolt 2 piece conversion. quality and looks were miles ahead of the one on pictures above, but the price was 620euro, ssss-salty ;)

Had Deget on my bench and havent seen any cosmic quality - they were simply made good...but the price is unacceptable.

so how do they do that ? cut old rim out and add on?

yeah, from the original wheel only hub and spokes remain, they cut and slot it then add an extremely lightweight rim. I forgot how heavy the original wheel was until I separated the deget one for powdercoating. the add-on rim weighs next to nothing. as quality i mean how well it's cut and fitted together.

I talked too Sandy Kosman 2 days ago He said the conversion would run 595 plus whatever shipping I think that would be about $100 from Montana too California and a week turnaround. Also I will see if it is possible too machine the welds flat so the wheel looks unaltered if possible with compromising the strength of the wheel

Didn't Kosman do a wire wheel conversion of a stock wheel for the 1986 ten second shootout? I got the original magazine feature stashed away somewhere. Now a laced up wheel, that's light! If I remember right, this is the same time Kerker's Vmax 4-2-1 showed up. Gee, that was only 26 years ago!

Didn't Kosman do a wire wheel conversion of a stock wheel for the 1986 ten second shootout? I got the original magazine feature stashed away somewhere. Now a laced up wheel, that's light! If I remember right, this is the same time Kerker's Vmax 4-2-1 showed up. Gee, that was only 26 years ago!

You are correct. It was in the "takin it to the 9's" article. Prototype pipe from Kerker and the prototype Dynojet stg 7 carb kit along with the spoked front and rear from Kosman. What I'm curious about is the article didn't mention the brakes but you can see some extracarricular brake reservior on the handle bars and lack of a right front disc. I wonder the specifics of what they did to slow this thing down.

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Image1.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 55
I talked too Sandy Kosman 2 days ago He said the conversion would run 595 plus whatever shipping I think that would be about $100 from Montana too California and a week turnaround. Also I will see if it is possible too machine the welds flat so the wheel looks unaltered if possible with compromising the strength of the wheel

I thought he sold the business to someone who worked there. Either way they produce a great product!

You are correct. It was in the "takin it to the 9's" article. Prototype pipe from Kerker and the prototype Dynojet stg 7 carb kit along with the spoked front and rear from Kosman. What I'm curious about is the article didn't mention the brakes but you can see some extracarricular brake reservior on the handle bars and lack of a right front disc. I wonder the specifics of what they did to slow this thing down.

That back wheel is AWESOME!!!! :biglaugh:

:punk:Hey, Here's a 17" wheel and swingarm for $400. That's not a bad price and it looks like kosmans work. Good Luck, Spurs http://www.ebay.com/itm/14065002044...46&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK:MEWAX:IT&vxp=mtr

Back