1986 V-Max Restoration from Argentina

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That paint inside the engine is already powder coating. Dont worry my friend.
You can even paint all surface inside engine with powder and its almost imposlibe to detached.

There's no need to go to 300?c . 200 will be fine and bealive me it will not
damage the block even for a long time. I've powder coated some other engines and it was all fine. IMO you can heat the engine up to 250-300 and nothing happens.

But if you still afraid of doing this there's another method to get powder solid.
UV radiation. It may be more expensive but its not a hot method.

Its ok Sebastian. I was aware of that and i should listen Sean from the begining and take that 1300cc then.
Like Sean said after that kind of engine failure like mine was the thrust surfaces may looks good and not damaged but they always damaged.
I've had 5k miles on mine engine and it happens again.

Take my good advice my friend and consider that.

Like Chris said, there's no retreat.

As the spin-on. adapter. Its very very simple to machine that. Do it.
Imho its must to do.

Cheers

Thanks for the comments and kind words!!

Przemek, I thought painting the hole engine (disassemble) with powder coating, but not sure to put it in an oven at 300 ?c for some hours.... And don?t like to much the final look the other options of industrial painting for hi temp ...
I have not painted the internals...the black paint inside was from factory (??)
Uff...I'm really scared for rebuild engines...hope mine last's...I'm really sorry for that Przemek.
I?m really thinking for getting a spin-on filter adapter...!

thanks a lot!

Cheers

Sebastian

Hi!

Chris...yes I have mailed Sean...but the problem I have is they made (machine shop) custom bearing for my crank, and I think they touch the block surface...so Oem bearing would not be useful...
And, really I have no more patience and money for now. So I decided to build her like that...see what happend and start saving money for what?s next...maybe a 1300 as satariel is doing...well time will tell...
I really like to do things well...that was I was trying to do for the last year, but well...I was disappointed buy the machine shop, etc... And, to be honest, motorcycles are a bit different from cars...and I underestimate that... And very probably i will pay that....

So that is the picture.

I send the engine to a "recommended" machine shop....they don?t do the things as it was supposed to... The bearing?s are not oem but i measure with plastigage, the "light" and they were as the manual say....cylinders and rod's are ok and the rings light was ok too...

will see what happends....if this dont work....as we say here "bad milk" ...and will start over... I bought this bike to keep it...

-----

Przemek...

hope, this paint last long....maybe more than the engine..jaja
So, powdercoat is ok.....(shit..!!!!! to much work and now I know this? jajaj)

well....things are not going to good for me ...I see it comming....... mmmm

Looks great to me my friend! Keep it up! I am guessing that Argentina doesn't have the same following as the US does when it comes to these bikes so I think you're doing just fine.

When you break it in, just be gentle but not to gentle and I'm sure you'll get some decent miles out of it. Sean tends to run his motors pretty hard!

Hi to all!!

some updates...

first, thanks very much for the comments!

Here the engine ready to go in the frame....I used inox bolts for all the engine parts
"Catamarca" is taking a good look for the rebuild and she give me the "ok"...:biglaugh:

this are from the first fireup!

Painting parts...

the color is a black with some white pearls, but I have to paint them again...I was not satisfied with the results...

And.....this is a video for the first day at the street..!!!! :punk:

YouTube - Despues de 1 año la V-max toca pista!!!

Hope you like them!

Sebastian

wow man. was that the maiden voyage?!?!

that engine looks new.

And now you are the men!
Congrats :punk:

The fealing after complete bike rebuild and then finaly start it and ride it its simply...priceless :clapping:

No, instal oil pressure gauge and keep watching at that damm pressure :D

Looks gorgeous! You're wife would be proud my friend!

Your engine paint work looks to be some of the best I've seen. Nice and smooth and not to thick looking.

Congrats on a job very well done - another max rises from the ashes!

Beautiful work on the engine paint - looks great!

Mike

Excellent Work:clapping: I know first hand that it's always special when you ressurect a machine back to life. Please be sure to post some pics when it's completed and keep up the good work:eusa_dance:

:biglaugh:Your smile when you park the max says it all!Fantastic job restoring it better than new.:eusa_dance:Cheers Kevman

thanks!! very very much guys!!!! :You_Rock:

Special thanks for Sean and Mark (Birdoprey)!

And all of you, that make this fantastic forum and help a LOT for this rebuild...!

Gamorg02: yes, first time in the street. the engine was started 1 month ago and tested in house...in the backyard! jaja

Satariel: thanks man! hope you are ok, and your bike soon rolling! Yes, I have a oil gauge!! and looking it close.. Hope the engine lasts !! :rocket bike:

kevman: Yes...that was a great day..! and there I was happy that the neutral pop's in right!!! things start to get ok day by day!

4gasem, kaboom, [email protected], naughtyG, maxcruiser, Mitchell, madmax06: thanks!!!!!! :biglaugh:

Well, the bike is not finished..!! Now I'm painting aluminum parts with clear coat....yes, I know that chrome is for far the best option, but I like the original look !.....from here when the clear start to chirp and bother me, maybe I'll change my mind!

Some of the work that has done, was...changing all the bearings and seals... the rear wheel bearing, the needle one, was rotated and have to buy a bigger one and make the wheel repair...
The front suspension was dissembled and found NO oil in there....only a bit of sae 90!!!!!!!!!! :bang head: . I have changed the seals and put new suspension oil (elf synthetic 20w)...But in the future I will buy new springs (progressives, or similar) bushings and send the fork tubes to make a hard chrome to them.

Also I plan to upgrade the brakes.

I have bought new dunlops 110-90-18 and 170-80-15 (no need to make the washer swap). I choose the dunlops over metzeler, because they were Japanese over Brazilians.....:confused2:

well....when I remember more things I will post them!!

Glad you guys like the work!!

:biglaugh:

Satariel: thanks man! hope you are ok, and your bike soon rolling! Yes, I have a oil gauge!! and looking it close.. Hope the engine lasts !! :rocket bike:
I hope bro, i hope but fighting with insurance company drives me crazy :th_biggun:

Its no problem to rebuild the bike but firstble i need to get some money :D

Hows the engine sound? V-max have a quite noisy engine.

Whats your cold, idling typical pressure and whats about at 3k cold?

Uff...i understand...!! Insurance company?s mmmm they take your mensual payment without a problem......then you have to move sky and earth to get payed!!!

I don't remember exactly the pressure....but idle cold would be around 60 lbs....and 3k around 80 lbs. I have Sean?s hi volume pump kit.
Hot, it drops a lot! but read here that is normal in Vmax....

this weekend I get the readings again....maybe a video...

Scares me a little...used the readings that i got in my old car...(Dodge gtx)

Hi boys!

well...max is finished!! (some small details to finish)

Hope you like it! :biglaugh:

Cheers

Sebastian

Attachments

• DSC03639.jpg
    DSC03639.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSC03640.jpg
    DSC03640.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC03641.jpg
    DSC03641.jpg