1990 V Max with Side Car (Gittyup!)

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm curious about the different front ends on these rigs:ummm: I am familiar with the one on the Yellow VMax. Do you have any info on the Third VMax, The Black one?
Thanks, Bob:biglaugh:

The two solutions for reducing the amount of pressure it takes to turn the front wheel are 1) a leading link suspension, and 2) a front end with reduced rake. The black one is a leading link suspension taken to the extreme. Here is a more typical leading link:

r69forks.jpg

Reducing the rake angle brings the front wheel back so that it is more vertical so that when you turn the handle bars you get more of a pivot action directly over the wheel rather than a leaning or tilting type action that is normal on a motorcycle.

Since you don't lean, you don't want the front wheel to lean you into a turn, rather, you just need it to pivot. When you try to turn a normal bike with a sidecar on it (like my unmodified front end and your unmodified front end) you are fighting against that leaning action of the front wheel and lifting the whole bike up just a bit since the tire cannot follow its nature contour and angle.

The modified front ends are commonly compared to having "power steering" on a car. I've never driven a rig with a modified front end, but I can see what they mean because mine is like a car with a non-functional power steering. i.e., it is really hard to turn! I've just gotten used to it though.

There are a couple of companies around that will do a custom leading link for you for about $1000.00 or so if you just send them your entire triple tree assembly.

Once modified, it is not safe to ride the bike as a "normal" two-wheel motorcycle. I'm told they get very squirrely and obviously turn and lean funny.

Good info! Do you have any info on the third VMax front end? The one with the ATV in the background?

Hey Bob:

Here are some more pics that I dug up of V'maxes with sidecars on them. The black one is highly modified. Not sure if I like it, but its an impressive example of engineering. I'd kill for his rear wheel/tire though. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm gonna get a car tire on the rear of my max.

VMaxHubsteeringLBS3.jpg

VMaxHubsteeringLBS2.jpg

VMaxHubsteeringLBS1.jpg

outlaw5.jpg

outlaw1.jpg

V-MaxII.jpg

Here's another triumph rocket sidecar job:
Triumpharmec.jpg

I saw that Yellow one for sale on the internet a few months back.

OK, I am starting to get my head around this (my first forum). The black Vmax has had its front wheel moved forward to reduce the trail, works almost as well as a leading link front end. See this link http://sidestrider.com/leadingfork.html . I know somone who has fitted a car tyre to the back of his Vmax, I understand its not that hard to do.

Hey, I have a XJ750 with a Velorex and want to move up. Looking at buying a Vmax to put a chair on it. Is the steering heavy on yours ?

This is a crazy old thread and I'm not sure who you are asking ... me or another poster.

In any event, my hack is hooked up to my Triumph Rocket 3, not my max. And yes, the steering is heavy. Any hack is going to make the steering heavy on a stock bike, regardless of the bike. To reduce the steering you need a custom front end, such as a leading link or a reduced rake ... both of which make the bike unusable solo, which is why I just accept the heavy steering.

Also, when you first start riding a hack it's pretty scary and you (err ... most) think that they really made a mistake. But with some miles you do get used to the change. There are also several sidecar riding courses offered around the country, kind of like an MSF for hacks.

Hope that helps.

Back