1999 w/ 9K Jumps out of 2nd gear...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
Under power now. Ive read most of the threads regarding this issue and think I know what needs to be done at this point.

Happened a couple of times last year, but I thought it was my foot being lazy getting into second. Bike shifts fine into all gears, but now under power it jumps out of second gear.

This is my second Max, both purchased new. The 1995 a good friend totaled for me, and my current ride the 1999. I always thought these things were bullet proof, now it seems I'm learning they are not.

I Know I need to tear it down once again, and talk to Sean Morley about building up and back cutting the gears. But, how do you guys like the overdrive 5th gear he does? The Max is one of a few bikes I own and ride, and most of the back road riding is 55-65mph for me. If I want to travel long distance, I have bikes better suited for interstate and long haul travel.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Regards,
Rob

PS. Mr Morley, I will be emailing you soon...

Since you have to tear it down anyway. why not go for the overdrive. In all likelihood you'd be peaked out in 4th gear at the end of the 1/4 mile strip and wouldn't need 5th gear.

Eventually, I'd like to do this on my 94. The 89's gonna be my Hot Rod, I'd like to go the other way with the gears on it... maybe redlined in 5th at 120...

Good Luck whatever you decide.....

Some guys have had success adjusting the position of the shift lever....the problem being not a complete engagement into second, I guess.

More than likely it will turn out to be a project for Morley but might be worth trying this first.

I've learned that when I change seats, I need to adjust the angle of the shifter differently. My bikes don't pop out of second, I miss getting it all the way into gear when racing.

Maxine: If you put the bike solidly into 2nd gear and run it hard, then it pops out, that's a second gear problem as you may already know....

Thanks for the tips guys. Yes it is solidly in gear and under power when it slips out. Ive been running the Corbin seat for the last 8K miles, so I dont think its due to a new riding position.

I cant believe the trans on these bikes gives up so easily. I ride this bike hard at times, but I thought thats what it was built to do :(

Seans already sent me the information requested :D

I never make it to 5th gear in the quarter.

If it was me I'd do the 5th gear conversion for sure.

I have over 200 passes on my '99's tranny and haven't broken it yet. You're clutching the 1-2 shift right?

I blew 2nd gear out of all my V65's

OD fifth is definitely nice for road trips but with the kind of riding you are talking about I would save the money for something else

I have Sean's overdrive 5th gear and the main reason I have it is that most of the events I go to are 300+ miles away. My transmission made it to 18,000 miles, I don't run it on the drag strip but I don't just putt around on it either. I'm the second owner so I'm not sure of the exact use by previous owner. I also had second gear, other misc trans parts, undercut gears, DD clutch mod and HD oil pump installed while I was at it.
If I was not riding the 300 + miles for events/ etc. I would probably not needed the OD. It doesn't save me much fuel on my local runs because I tend to stay in 4th gear longer than I would if I had a normal 5th gear.

You're clutching the 1-2 shift right?
Yes I do always clutch the 1-2 shift.

I dont do any real road trips with this bike, as its primarily just my hooligan bike. I get it out for 2 day trips a year that consist of 200 mile rides, all of which are 55-65mph back roads. The most interstate(70-75mph) this bike see's is the occasional 12 mile run into the city. Mostly it gets used for 45-90 minute local river road loops and a handfull of 1/4 mile runs at the local strip every year.

I still find it hard to believe I can go through the stock trans in only 9300 miles, with no major mods. Stage 7, HoleShot 4-1 , Barnett clutch and springs, and solid motor mounts are the only mods other than (Galfer)brakes and (Works/Progressive)suspension upgrades.

EDIT: Forgot to add that Sean and I have already gotten together via phone/email, and he has an undercut trans and all the parts to exchange out for me. Weather permitting, it sounds like a great excuse for an upcoming road trip to me :)

UPDATE.
I'd like to give a big shout out to Sean Morley. As you all already know he is "THE MAN". Talked to him on Monday. and by the end of the week everything had arrived. :worthy:

Pulled the motor out Friday night following the manual :bang head: After messaging Sean he informed me there is an easier way(pulling the swingarm). Saturday I went riding with some buddies all day. Sunday saw me tearing the motor apart and repairing/replacing the tranny, shift section and the HD oiling set up. Shipped old tranny unit out today and will start putting everything back together this week.

I love this site, wish I would have stumbled on it years ago.

UPDATE.
I'd like to give a big shout out to Sean Morley. As you all already know he is "THE MAN". Talked to him on Monday. and by the end of the week everything had arrived. :worthy:
I love this site, wish I would have stumbled on it years ago.

Sean is a great guy (along with a bunch of others here) Let me know if you need a hand with the bike.... I'm down in Washington, IA and could run up for a few hours if needed.

Jeff

Sean is a great guy (along with a bunch of others here) Let me know if you need a hand with the bike.... I'm down in Washington, IA and could run up for a few hours if needed.

Jeff

Thanks for the offer man. Save that offer for a sunny day and lets make it a ride instead :) I'm actually enjoying the tear down and re-build. And with a few tips from Sean its going along smoothly. I see a lot of guys from Iowa and the surrounding states on the boards here. Anybody ever try to get a ride together here in our area?

Last update. This thread is officially dead. Finished putting her back together Friday night after work. Finally got her out today, and all I can say is...
THANK YOU SEAN MORLEY, my Maxine is back to being the bike I love once again.

Back