1st ride on the Vmax...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ghostntheshell

Reaction score
I took her out tonight for the 1st time.

I went around my block about 20 times. Getting the feel of her. The brakes. The way she turns. How heavy she is. Shifting. That sort of stuff.

I then took her onto a few of the city streets I know are slow.
I found making my right hand turns from a stop - I would shoot wide. So I practiced those about 5 times.

I then took her to a road filled with very few driveways and a long straight away.

I took the road the 1st time, then turned around - and knowing my pathway - I started to get into the speed. Very nice engine note. Very nice pick up.
I turned around yet again and decided to come back. Same thing.

On the way back, I decided to see what vboost was all about.

So I leaned into her. At first I was like "not too shabby!" as I figured i had hit vboost. But I looked down quickly and saw I was at 5k rpm. So I twisted it some more and I think I broke the sound barrier - for all of 2 seconds and I backed off. I spouted "HOLY SH*T!" and proceeded on my way home.

My impressions? I loved it. I noticed my rear brake squeaks. Hopefully that goes away - but may need adjustment.

Oh yeah - with my new paint - It's everything i wanted in a bike!

Picture tomorrow finally.

She is done. Until spring ;)

Kick ass man!:clapping:

That looking down at the tach thing is what I can't do most of the time. Too busy holding on for dear life as it takes off like a rocket. I wished that they would have swapped places of the tach and speedo, would have been more useful to me:confused2:

wait. ghost. u've never ridden the bike? ?!?!? u've had it for months?!

i'm def waiting to see the paint.

as far as rear brake, there are a couple options but see if it wears off. i can give u a whole laundry list of stuff that helped me.

WOOOOOHOOOOOO, YEAH!!!!!!!

Now what yo need to do is figure out what speed 5800 RPMs equals in every gear......

That way you can stay just out of BOOST........until you want it:eusa_dance:

That is a lot of fun.....twist into BOOST:punk:

Back off a bit......

Then hit it again......:eusa_dance:

Thanks guys - and yes - I have owned this bike since May. I have been tinkering with it almost every bit of time off that I had.

I couldn't afford insurance until I did the riders safety course - and that was a headache arranging with work. Canceled once and had to wait a month and half for another class.

Finally got my riders safety at the end of September.

I am going to enjoy October as best as I can.

Pictures tomorrow guys! You'll love it!

Mods in the future:

1.) 18 Inch / radials. For sure.

2.) Shift Light. I am scared to look down - so this is a must :p

My GOD man...You have some patience level! I don't think I would have made it through one night without taking it out around the block let alone months!! My new Hero:worthy:

Ha ha thanks.

Btw - front tire removal / installation went smooth. Torqued everything back to specs too.

Mods in the future:

1.) 18 Inch / radials. For sure.

I agree. wish I could afford them.

2.) Shift Light. I am scared to look down - so this is a must :p

I don't get what the deal is with shift lights. None of the bikes I have ever owned had one, and I still don't feel the need for one on my Max.
You just get used to the engine noise at all revs, and then shift in the right place. I don't understand why anyone needs a light to tell 'em when to shift unless they're drag racing, but then that's just me. 90% of the time I shift below 6k anyway, and the 10% I really gun it I just know when to shift and it's never over 9k. Am I missing something here? :confused2:

Personally I was more into the option to get a tachometer to put beside the speedometer.
or maybe getting a digital combo speedo/tacho.
When I see prices, i'm freaking out how expensive it can be

Someone on this forum swapped the speedo for a Hallspeedshop 5? TACH I'll see if I can trace it and let you know - it's on my to-do list too!
817.jpg

thats KJs bike, and very nicely done.

i like a shift light NG as i have it set for 8800 so when i'm running thru the gears hard it acts as a "make sure ur shifting by now' light. kind of just a cheap insurance. sometimes after long jaunts on the highway i can't hear the engine as well either.

ghost, check out harlan. cheap and work well.

Ghost, just make sure you respect the bike until you gain the experience. This statement of course is based only on the assumption that you have little road experience, I could be totally wrong. Just be safe and ride within your abilities.
Harlan makes a cheap shift light ($50) I believe, I think Garrett has one. I plan to add one just for the piece of mind.
NaughtyG: The reason I think they are a good idea is because of how quick the RPM's rise after mid. For me it's piece of mind in NOT over-revving the engine. To each there own I guess.

Glad to hear you had a great first ride!! I am running a Raptor shiftlight and love it! As I am running EFI and have a built up motor I have it set to turn on at 9.2k rpm. This gives me about a half second before I hit 10k to shift. As a bonus it is mounted just above my tach so I dont have to look down to see either. Will have to post a pic or two of my setup from Cycle One Off.

10k shit ?? I don't have the problem yet hehe
Like ghost, I got my max lately so I'm still gentle and I play around 6 to 7K like kinds :)
Anyway it's not easy to reach the 10k in city hehe

Not having the need to look down after 6k and above, will make me feel safer.
Drivers are crazy and without any driving culture here, so better to look forward than down :)

i've found it set at 8800 rpms if i'm shifting when i see it go on i bounce the tach right about 9800.

i've found it set at 8800 rpms if i'm shifting when i see it go on i bounce the tach right about 9800.

you got a pic of your shift light garrett? must have been blinded by the awesome frame connectors i forgot to look at your light set up. :rofl_200:

Latest posts

Back