200/55r17 Cycle-one off conversion

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Travolous

Reaction score
200/55r17 Cycle one-off conversion

I just completed my conversion. Cycle one-off 17" rim, cycle one-off notched and braced swingarm and 200/55r17 Dunlop sportmax tire. I did have some trouble getting the rim/tire into the swingarm, it was not easy! I also had to move the caliper brakearm, where it mounts to the swingarm, over to the right due to it rubbing against the tire. Cycle one-off sells them for $30, but I just decided to move mine for free :) I also don't know how somebody could possibly get this all together without scratching the paint off the rim. The paint came off super easy, almost just by scraping it with my fingernail, so I have to go back and touch up all the places that I messed the paint up on.

Attachments

• vmax rear rim.jpg
    vmax rear rim.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 136
Tav, what paint came off? The wheel is powdercoated right? Anyway, 200 is a huge difference aint it ! Nice and notched brace swingarm makes it even sweeter. Let us know you impressions about the ride quality once you get that tire scribbed in.

Tav, what paint came off? The wheel is powdercoated right? Anyway, 200 is a huge difference aint it ! Nice and notched brace swingarm makes it even sweeter. Let us know you impressions about the ride quality once you get that tire scribbed in.

It is supposed to be powder coated but it just doesn't seem like it is. the caliper grease fitting had one if its rubber caps missing and with the tight fitment from the caliper to the rim, it made a lot of contact at the lip of the rim causing a lot of paint removal.

Yeah that don't sound right to me neither. As you probably know, I and a few others here try our hand at powdercoating with durability being one of its great benefits. I've dropped parts on a tile floor and did zero damage what so ever. Only way I could see hurting it easy would be if it came into contact with something sharp like an errant cotter pin. May not be a big issue but I'd let the seller know now that finish is not up to snuff and hopefully you don't have any issues down the road.
Anyway, could post some bigger pictures or more up close shots of the rear? Thanks T-Man

Re: 200/55r17 Cycle one-off conversion

I just completed my conversion. Cycle one-off 17" rim, cycle one-off notched and braced swingarm and 200/55r17 Dunlop sportmax tire. I did have some trouble getting the rim/tire into the swingarm, it was not easy! I also had to move the caliper brakearm, where it mounts to the swingarm, over to the right due to it rubbing against the tire. Cycle one-off sells them for $30, but I just decided to move mine for free :) I also don't know how somebody could possibly get this all together without scratching the paint off the rim. The paint came off super easy, almost just by scraping it with my fingernail, so I have to go back and touch up all the places that I messed the paint up on.

It looks great
punk0000.gif
. Touch it up and it'll be hard to notice. PC can be scratched off like Pat said. But, should wear much better than paint.

Last edited:
Looks good. Next time, try removing the differential and wheel as one unit. It makes wide tire installs easier.

Im not sure why the bleed nipple on the rear caliper is so long? You may want to find a shorter replacement. Spreading the pads open helps too. I switched to a underslung setup with a larger rotor and was surprised to find it was easier to install the R1 caliper on the large rotor than it was to install the oem caliper on the small rotor.

It is supposed to be powder coated but it just doesn't seem like it is. the caliper grease fitting had one if its rubber caps missing and with the tight fitment from the caliper to the rim, it made a lot of contact at the lip of the rim causing a lot of paint removal.

Thats not a greaser... Its the bleeder... :biglaugh:

Looks good. Next time, try removing the differential and wheel as one unit. It makes wide tire installs easier.

how does that make installing it easier? How would you get the driveshaft seated in the yoke like that? I may be missing something. It also appears I have diff oil leaking from the yoke area where the boot is. This means it has to come back apart but I honestly don't think I can handle getting that tire back in again. So disappointed.

If you have oil coming out the boot your shaft seal is leaking. Its a rubber seal and clip on the pumpkin end of the shaft.
With the big tire you put the shaft into your swingarm mating up with the universal joint at the the boot area. You mate your pumpkin onto your wheel then put the two into the swingarm as one unit. Make sure the spring between your shaft and pumpkin seats right as you're bringing them together. I do it as a one man job but two would make it easier.

Dale #2592

There is a nice Yamaha shop down in Sumter, SC but I am sure there are closer spots then that.

If you have oil coming out the boot your shaft seal is leaking. Its a rubber seal and clip on the pumpkin end of the shaft.
With the big tire you put the shaft into your swingarm mating up with the universal joint at the the boot area. You mate your pumpkin onto your wheel then put the two into the swingarm as one unit. Make sure the spring between your shaft and pumpkin seats right as you're bringing them together. I do it as a one man job but two would make it easier.

Dale #2592

Wow, so put the Swingarm on, put the driveshaft through the Swingarm into the yoke. Then, put the wheel which has the pumpkin already mated to it, into the end of the driveshaft? That seems so much simpler!

There is no other way to get a 200 in. Mine is a 190 and i have to do it that way. Even my old 180 I deflated to squeeze it in.

Dale #2592

If you notice it theres a plugged hole on the swingarm just aft of the rubber boot. Remove the plug then catch a sturdy wire and bend it in a U shape or a hook you cna use that hole to keep the U-joint centered to slide the shaft in (so to speak). Other wise the joint will always drop making it a lot harder to align with the shaft splines... The oil you see coming out is it thick and yellowish or thin and blackish? If you say its coming off the boot area you may have a mid gear shaft seal leaking engine oil and it gets out by the boot vent hole...

If you notice it theres a plugged hole on the swingarm just aft of the rubber boot. Remove the plug then catch a sturdy wire and bend it in a U shape or a hook you cna use that hole to keep the U-joint centered to slide the shaft in (so to speak). Other wise the joint will always drop making it a lot harder to align with the shaft splines... The oil you see coming out is it thick and yellowish or thin and blackish? If you say its coming off the boot area you may have a mid gear shaft seal leaking engine oil and it gets out by the boot vent hole...

It's dark motor oil. I changed the oil today and it's leaking the newly added clean oil now so I know it's motor oil.

I just switched to a 5.5" x 17" Kosman rear wheel, but do not have a notched swingarm, so I am running a narrower tire. I did notice the difficulty in getting the wheel in place, in the past I was able to just swing the rear caliper out of the way, but found w/this wheel I have to remove the caliper from the carrier bracket to clear the tire. I recently removed my swingarm to do some work & did have to spend a bit of time to get the driveshaft seated. Next time I will try the rubber cap/bent wire tip, thank-you.

Wow, so put the Swingarm on, put the driveshaft through the Swingarm into the yoke. Then, put the wheel which has the pumpkin already mated to it, into the end of the driveshaft? That seems so much simpler!
Trust what Dale is saying and I can vouch that it is too!

Back