2004 VMAX Idle Issues And More

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Guys,

After the carb sync I took a ride and what a difference. I remember when I first bought this bike that every ride would really have that wow factor. Well that went away when all of these issues started . Today that wow factor is back.

Only thing I noticed was the bike is now running quite a bit hotter than it used to. Today was about 80 degrees outside and I was in stop and go traffic and the temperature just kept rising. The fan came on like it should but the temperature just kept going up. It got to right below the red line and luckily the traffic started moving again. As soon as I got moving the temp returned to mid scale. While the fan was on I could feel it blowing a lot of air so it is moving air when it runs.

I have never seen this bike run that hot before. I did notice that during the carb sync process that when I brought the right side up to where it should be that the bike started heating up right there in the garage and the fan came on.

I will check the radiator level tomorrow. Any other ideals on what else I should look at. Before the carb sync bike ran like crap but did not heat up now it runs great but runs hot.

Thanks for any ideals or pointers.

Take care,

Jim Spence

It's normal. As long as it doesn't go read. You can put a different fan switch in so it comes on sooner or you can run a bypass switch.

Hey Guys,

After the carb sync I took a ride and what a difference. I remember when I first bought this bike that every ride would really have that wow factor. Well that went away when all of these issues started . Today that wow factor is back.

Only thing I noticed was the bike is now running quite a bit hotter than it used to. Today was about 80 degrees outside and I was in stop and go traffic and the temperature just kept rising. The fan came on like it should but the temperature just kept going up. It got to right below the red line and luckily the traffic started moving again. As soon as I got moving the temp returned to mid scale. While the fan was on I could feel it blowing a lot of air so it is moving air when it runs.

I have never seen this bike run that hot before. I did notice that during the carb sync process that when I brought the right side up to where it should be that the bike started heating up right there in the garage and the fan came on.

I will check the radiator level tomorrow. Any other ideals on what else I should look at. Before the carb sync bike ran like crap but did not heat up now it runs great but runs hot.

Thanks for any ideals or pointers.

Take care,

Jim Spence

Point a window fan at the front of the motor when syncing, helps keep it cooler.

You might want to give your cooling system a good flush. When I did, I did it just like a car: put some flushing agent in, rode it for half a day, let it cool down (important!), flush with clear water from a hose until it all runs clear, then refill with mostly water and just enough coolant (in Florida) to protect the system from corrosion and possible overnight frost in the winter.
Some people swear by special coolants such a Engine Ice and whatever, I find that water still works best.

On my FL bike, I have a coolant fan sensor switch that comes on at a lower temperature also, so the bike never gets past half-way on the gauge. I did end up putting a bypass switch on so I could turn the fan off though, because I found that it would be running all the time at highway speeds when it wasn't needed and that hurt my mpg quite a bit.

Most people do the fan bypass switch the other way - it simply brings the fan on earlier to stop the bike getting hot in the first place. It's a really easy mod to do, keeps the monkey happy, and has a great feelgood factor as Max does tend to run quite hot and I don't like that either.

Hey naughtyG,

Thanks for the ideals. I was thinking the same thing since the dealer that did the carbs also was supposed to flush and change the radiator juice.

Will do that today.

Have a great weekend.

Jim Spence

Jespeed
I just read through this entire thread and I have to say that your update after completing the carb sync gave me such hope I can't even tell you. When I read your first post I thought to myself, dammit, my bike is acting the same exact way. Thing runs like ass when cold and gradually gets better as it warms up but still not right. Crappy power below 2k - 3k rpm, but above that it was running strong. Like 3 cylinders at idle but then more power at higher rpms.
I should be getting a carb sync tool in the mail tomorrow and now I can't wait to get the sync done.
Thanks for keeping us all updated on how things were going and what all you've been trying.

Well... I got my sync tool in the mail this afternoon and roughly 10 minutes later my bike was running like brand new again. I couldn't believe it.

Only issue that I'm noticing now is that on deceleration there is little popping from the exhaust. What does this mean? Too Rich / Too Lean? I'm sure there is a specific cause for this but I can't recall what it is. Any ideas?

It can also mean you have an air leak in your exhaust system - that also causes popping.

And, if you're using slip-on mufflers, most do away with the OEM balancing pipe/box which does a great job at masking any pops. With both Supertrapps and Jardines, mine always pops a little on the overrun, but I ain't worried about it - I quite like actually :)

Its pretty subtle sounding, but its there and wasn't before. I did turn my mixture screws in to 2 out from the 2-1/2 out that I had previously. Maybe between those two points is the happy medium.
I never have actually tried to "set" this screw individually on each carb, I've just been setting them all the same. I guess I could give it a try and then recheck the sync on the carbs.

If it was fine at 2 1/2 turns just go back to that setting. Of course you can also try 2 1/4 - no harm.

The more turns out the richer, so it makes perfect sense for 'lean popping' in your case.

just that half of turn could definitely do it.

ideally the a/f screws should be set individually.

Patrick78,

I am glad to hear that any of the info I posted helped you out. I know that reading this board really helped me out and gave me hope that I could do most of these things myself and do them correctly instead of paying a dealer to "do" it.

I have been working on my wife's 2004 Mini Cooper S this past week. Started off just doing some routine maintenance but turned into quite an adventure. She had been having the Mini dealer do all of the maintenance as per the schedule. Well, when I changed the oil, oil filter, air filter, spark plugs I found the dirtiest oil, air filter that I have ever seen in my life. The spark plugs were pretty used up too. I was not impressed. After doing all of the maintenance she took it for a test drive and was so happy to have her peppy Mini back. I think the dealer was just collecting our cash and not doing a damn thing for the money.

Make sure to check the carb sync often for a while. I checked mine a few days later and it was off again. Not as bad but still off. Like these guys have said, the VMax carb sync can go off if the wind blows too hard.

Take care and happy riding,

Jim Spence

Latest posts

Back