4 brush starter?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Seward

Reaction score
I know there is a newer starter design that uses 4 brushes instead of 2. I see a ton of new starter motors of the Bay of E for less than $100.00... My question is how do I know if they're 2 or 4 brush starters. I assume there is a different part # for the 4 brush motors.

Anyone got some info on which starter I'd be looking for? My motor works fine, but I'd like to have the information "just in case".

You can probably go to bikebandit and look up the part number differences on the microfiche.

Will the starter itself have the part number branded? I dont know.

The only way I know to tell which is it, is to open it and look.

I asked a few of these "FleaBay" venders if the starters were 2 or 4 brush and they relied they were 2 brush. So, I would say before you bid or buy ask the seller!

OK, admittedly I am not an expert on VMax's.

I researched getting the 4 brush starter for my venture and learned that 1990 and newer VMaxs have the 4 brush.

Picture of it attached below with end cover pulled off.

If the two brush starter on the VMax is similar to the one on the Ventures, there is an external difference between the 2 brush & 4 brush starter.

The 2 brush starter has 4 screws around the outside at the center line. These screws go into the coils of the starter to hold them in place. The 4 brush starter does not have these screws. Also attached is a picture of a 2 brush starter in my bike, one of the screws is visible in this picture.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC00937.JPG
    DSC00937.JPG
    252.4 KB · Views: 78
  • PICT5461s.jpg
    PICT5461s.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 78
Great Pictures Gary... I need to get a 4 pole for my 89... Even with the Odyssey Battery it turns over so slow...

Thanx....

Dave, I would clean the starter and cable connections. My 2-brush on my '89 turned over just as fast as the 4-brush does on the '99 I have now.

That's a thought Mark. I cleaned all the connections on the battery and soldered the necessary wires but didn't even consider the starter connections...:ummm: Thanx....

That made the biggest difference for me. I took apart the starter and cleaned the commutator, armature and the connection of the wire to the motor.

That made the biggest difference for me. I took apart the starter and cleaned the commutator, armature and the connection of the wire to the motor.

maleko89 is right, my bike always spun better after a good starter cleaning, but it didn't do much for my hot start problems, even after I did all the wiring mods suggested. I bought a 4 pole starter and now the bike spins as if I had a compression release engaged.

Bending those brush plate locator tabs ever so slightly between the two outer case halves before reassembling will do wonders for the "hot start issue". I had to do it on both, my Vmax and 86 Venture Royale. Never had problems with either one after.

Here is a little better picture of the possible differences between the two brush & four brush starters.

I say possible because I have not seen a two brush VMax starter.

The picture shows a 1988 Venture two brush starter at the top & at the bottom, a 1992 VMax four brush starter, case is not bolted together & no internals in the VMax starter.

Notice the phillips head screw that is in the center line of the two brush starter & not present on the four brush starter. There are four of these screws, one holding each coil.

Gary

Attachments

• DSC01275s.JPG
    DSC01275s.JPG
    140 KB · Views: 64
I looked this old thread up just to see the differences between 2 and 4 pole starters. I picked up a 4 pole from Kyle. It was off an 05 so we knew for sure it was 4 pole but Kyle wasn't sure how to confirm an unknown starter... Great to have all this info still available....

From Gary's pics, the 4 brush one has a fatter end cap at the drive end, and a wider web on the rear mounting lug.

The one on my '85 is exactly the same as the 2 brush one from Gary

Could you post a pic of your one SpecOps13? It can be on the bike, just as long as we can see the length of the end caps. :biglaugh:

Latest posts

Back