5 wires? on vboost

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulVmax

Reaction score
Hello i have 5 wires going from my vboost controller to my vboost servo the colors are

Black red
black yellow
black white
blue yellow
red and white

what do each of these wires do i am trying to solve why my vboost ins't cycling

cheers

I just so happened to dig into this in an attempt to make a simple toggle switch control.

Black/red ------Motor lead
Black/ yellow ----Motor lead

The others are limit switches, with a shared common, they change states at one end of operation or the other (Vboost open/closed). They're used to tell the controller when the servo has done its job. Unfortunately they close at limit instead of opening making it rather difficult to do what I wanted with just a toggle that I could flip and forget, letting the limit remove power from the motor.

Anyway;

black/white.......limit switch n.o. Closes at Vboost ______?

blue/yellow ......limit switch n.o., Closes at Vboost______?
red/white ----common to above

I put the question marks because my notes failed to capture which direction of operation the particular limits were operating at.

You can apply power to the motor leads
And play with it. Using an ohm meter to figure out contact states of the limits.

Reversing polarity to the motor makes it go in the opposite direction, like all DC motors.
Just don't apply power to it and leave it.

I just so happened to dig into this in an attempt to make a simple toggle switch control.

Black/red ------Motor lead
Black/ yellow ----Motor lead

The others are limit switches, with a shared common, they change states at one end of operation or the other (Vboost open/closed). They're used to tell the controller when the servo has done its job. Unfortunately they close at limit instead of opening making it rather difficult to do what I wanted with just a toggle that I could flip and forget, letting the limit remove power from the motor.

Anyway;

black/white.......limit switch n.o. Closes at Vboost ______?

blue/yellow ......limit switch n.o., Closes at Vboost______?
red/white ----common to above

I put the question marks because my notes failed to capture which direction of operation the particular limits were operating at.

You can apply power to the motor leads
And play with it. Using an ohm meter to figure out contact states of the limits.

Reversing polarity to the motor makes it go in the opposite direction, like all DC motors.
Just don't apply power to it and leave it.

Boogers....that is what I was gonna try, doesn't work ey? Crappo! :bang head:

Cool, didn't know that about the other 3 wires! Thanks Rusty!

Boogers....that is what I was gonna try, doesn't work ey? Crappo! :bang head:

You can still do it but would have to use a reversing toggle (double pole double throw, center spring return off) for open and closed. with spring return to center for off. Just hold it "on" while the motor is operating. And learn to time it right.
I did it that way for a while but eventually put the controller back in.

You could also use relays to manipulate the scheme but then its gets too unwieldy

You can still do it but would have to use a reversing toggle (double pole double throw, center spring return off) for open and closed. with spring return to center for off. Just hold it "on" while the motor is operating. And learn to time it right.

You could also use relays to manipulate the scheme but then its gets too unwieldy

This is the setup I use. I'd rather have a functioning vboost setup but don't want to spend the $$ on a controller. The switch and wiring was free.

Think it may be the set up I was using too....momentary spring loaded switch, forward opens, backward closed, returns to center.

But after the chick knocked the bike over the servo motor didn't work....don't really see the connection to the tip over and thought maybe it was the switch, or the auto return function or something else that caused the motor to fail.

Thinking now of comforming to the law of KISS and just unplug the barrel connector and call it a day! :punk:

Cutting the ground wire during the key on moment with a toggle switch ,won't freeze the vboost where it is???

so it will work....use that instead of unpluging harness right Garrett. and while riding if you flip switch does it go back to reg vboost operations..

yes. i ran one of those for a year.

Absolutely yes, if you have a fully functioning system, motor and controller, you can just add a single pole single throw switch in series with either one of the motor wires.
You can then use switch to "Trap" the servo motor in whatever position you want while its in the midst of doing its cycling thing when you first turn the key on.
Turning the switch on/closed restores it to normal function.

The earlier setup mentioned is for a system that has no controller at all, just the motor.

Absolutely yes, if you have a fully functioning system, motor and controller, you can just add a single pole single throw switch in series with either one of the motor wires.
You can then use switch to "Trap" the servo motor in whatever position you want while its in the midst of doing its cycling thing when you first turn the key on.
Turning the switch on/closed restores it to normal function.

The earlier setup mentioned is for a system that has no controller at all, just the motor.

exactly.

i took the brass fittings out of the white plastic connectors too and got the opposite (male/female) and soldered them onto leads for the switch so it was easy to go back and forth. don't like splices if i can help it.

Someone PM'ed me a question, so I thought I would clarify.

The two motor lead wires can each be positive or negative depending on if the controller is asking for the vboost to go open or go closed.

Since its a DC motor reversing DC polarity reverses direction of rotation.

So no wire coming from the motor leads is always positive or always negative.

The three wires from the servo I was calling out as open/closed contacts for position indication ARE potentiometer leads, NOT dry contacts as I had previously and incorrectly stated. They are still for position indication but work differently.

This is based on Gary/Dingy's knowledge and research with the servo unit and I believe him since he's spent quite a bit of time "interfacing" the servo units with the Ignitech TCI's that he's into.:worthy:

I'm going to go back and re-examine my servo unit and try to figure out how I got it THAT wrong:ummm:

My apologies if I sent anyone on a wild goose chase with bad info.

I do very complex protective relaying, controls and automation on "The Power Grid" for a living so I'm embarrassed to say the least at getting something this simple so wrong.....Though I will say I do not get down to "board level" electronics very often.

Then again I put three counties in the dark once before so it is a hazard of the business:biglaugh:

Oops!

awesome....gonna wire that in....
danny wish I had bought the micro toggle also....d'oh!!!!!.

Back