'88 max kicking out of gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gverde

Reaction score
Hi. I have an '88 max that likes to kick into neutral after I have shifted into second. Sometimes one after another, sometimes only once or twice then rides fine. Anyone know what I should be looking for? Also, is it easy enough to change the oil and filter? What kind of oil should I put in it?

Thanks in advance for any advicxe.

Gverde (Jeff)

sound like second gear needs to be replaced but im no expert. My dads 85 started doing that and he had to replace second gear.

Mobil 1 for oil its good stuff.

Yeah sounds like a second gear issue. Typically it requires replacing the 2nd gear set and the shift fork. This seems to be a common problem on 80's yamaha bikes that have been abused a lot. This will require the engine being removed from the bike and taken apart to replace the gears.

Oil is easy to change. With your year you have a cartiridge type oil filter unless you have a conversion to a spin-on filter type. The drain plug is on the botton of the engine.

I suggest using Shell Rotella-T 15w-40. You can find this oil in gallon jugs in the diesel oil section. Very good oil. Cleans really well and handles the abuse of high temps and carbon. Its only 15ish dollars a gallon also. This is enough to do an oil change on these bikes.

We undercut the gears and not a simple replacement (broken gears do have to be replaced). Our undercut gears are far better then even a new OEM gearset. Smoother more positive shifting and more durability. BUT, as noted the engine has to come out.

Sean

Yeah sounds like a second gear issue. Typically it requires replacing the 2nd gear set and the shift fork. This seems to be a common problem on 80's yamaha bikes that have been abused a lot. This will require the engine being removed from the bike and taken apart to replace the gears.

Oil is easy to change. With your year you have a cartiridge type oil filter unless you have a conversion to a spin-on filter type. The drain plug is on the botton of the engine.

I suggest using Shell Rotella-T 15w-40. You can find this oil in gallon jugs in the diesel oil section. Very good oil. Cleans really well and handles the abuse of high temps and carbon. Its only 15ish dollars a gallon also. This is enough to do an oil change on these bikes.

+1 for the Rotella T 15-40 - holding up well in my max.

Thanks for all of the great feedback. sounds like an expensive bill to remove the engine and replace the second gear......? I will change the oil soon. Replacement filter should be available at a regular parts store? Thanks again........
Living life to the MAX.

sounds like an expensive bill to remove the engine and replace the second gear......?

Depends on how much you want or are able to do yourself. Probably the most time consuming is the removal and replacing the motor to the frame.

Once out you would only need a clutch holding tool and flywheel puller + sockets and a torque wrench to do the job.

Crankcases can be split without disturbing the top end of the motor.

We undercut the gears and not a simple replacement (broken gears do have to be replaced). Our undercut gears are far better then even a new OEM gearset. Smoother more positive shifting and more durability. BUT, as noted the engine has to come out.

Sean
+1, I'm so glad that when I had a "few" trans problems I shipped my whole engine to Sean to have it fixed along with a few upgrades, far superior to what the stock trans feels like.:punk:

Sounds like the second gear is shot. I ordered an undercut trans , shift drum, forks, HD oiling kit and all gaskets from Sean Morley. Bike shifts better than it ever did when it was new. As others have said, the motor needs to come out and the cases split to do the job. If your not comfortable doing it yourself, then make shipping/drop off arrangements.

If you tend to ride the bike hard, as most of us do. I would not simply replace with OEM parts. The entire undercut trans is the way to go.

Keep riding the bike if you must, But it will get worse as you ride it, not to mention the bits of metal floating around in the motor.

Regarding oil:
I run Amzoil 10w-40 High performance myself. Its formulated with high Zinc content and approved for wet clutches and motorcycle use.

Regards,
R

Back