911 and cell phones

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see no reason they can't figure out a way to triangulate your location using the cell system or GPS.

JMO

Chris

I see no reason they can't figure out a way to triangulate your location using the cell system or GPS.

JMO

Chris

Didja'read the article?????

This is what I do for a living so I can tell you if you call on a cell phone you had BETTER know where you are.......

We can triangulate......it still only gives us a spot on a map.....not an address...

I have had the system show people in a lake when they were actually in a bar about 20 miles away......

We get cell calls from Canada all the time......our system and theirs are not compatible.....does not work....

Cell phones can, and do, hit towers MANY miles away from where the caller actually is.....due to elevation or atmospheric conditions.....

Causes all kinds of havoc......We get a lot of information, like what fire/police/rescue agency to send, automatically with a landline phone, you do not have to even be able to speak.....we have many domestic incidents, assaults, etc. where the victim just dials the phone and slides it under a bed or sets it down.....we have the EXACT address, apartment # and all, and everything is being recorded.....

With a cell phone, we know your # and the situation and a general location....which would you rather have...

Bottom line.....know where you are at all times.....and never trust your life to anything that runs on batteries....

true. what about a 20 story apt building too. that'd be painful.

Two things
One my sprint navigation GPS tells me right where I am at, which direction I am going and how fast. Use it all the time, even on the bike.

Also I have family locater from sprint
I ping my kids and get a message of where they, or at least where their phone is at within 3 meters.
They get a text saying they have been located and they are to text me back so I know they have their phone with them. In case they try to sneak out and leave their phone behind.

Seems like you could use this pretty easily to find someone.

Like I said... I can't see why they cant do this. I didn't say they can NOW. Lets make it happen. My iPhone knows about where I am as well.

Two things
One my sprint navigation GPS tells me right where I am at, which direction I am going and how fast. Use it all the time, even on the bike.

Also I have family locater from sprint
I ping my kids and get a message of where they, or at least where their phone is at within 3 meters.
They get a text saying they have been located and they are to text me back so I know they have their phone with them. In case they try to sneak out and leave their phone behind.

Seems like you could use this pretty easily to find someone.

Probably could.......if the 911 centers kept up with technology.....

But they don't......and can't.....Money and proprietary software/hardware/programming/services and the speed with which it all advances......will keep 911 behind....

DON'T BET YOUR LIFE ON A CELL PHONE!!!!!!

Probably could.......if the 911 centers kept up with technology.....

But they don't......and can't.....Money and proprietary software/hardware/programming/services and the speed with which it all advances......will keep 911 behind....

DON'T BET YOUR LIFE ON A CELL PHONE!!!!!!

I never planned to. I always carry a Garmin GPS with me as well.

I never planned to. I always carry a Garmin GPS with me as well.

I'm amazed that anyone would rely on anything that runs on batteries.......

Does your GPS tell you what town you are in???I'm asking.... I don't know:confused2:

The one I borrowed from a friend for a trip told me to turn left while I was on a bridge.....:ummm:

Not much of a friend then are they?

Here's what my phone tells me... I'm at 3707 West River Dr. No doubt that this is about 5 businesses.

Chris

Attachments

• IMG_0381.PNG
    IMG_0381.PNG
    65.5 KB · Views: 11
:rofl_200:

It was a street pilot........or something like that....

Like every other bit of technology, it's great when it works....

There are places around here where there is no cell service and no GPS signal....

If you go to nowhere and take a right.....you end up here....:punk:

Here's what my phone tells me... I'm at 3707 West River Dr. No doubt that this is about 5 businesses.

Chris

That's the point.....it gets us the general vicinity.....which may or may not be useful.....

They are not always accurate either.....and that functionality is not available in all markets or where service is unavailable......

Look at a coverage map......with any service there are HUGE gaps with no coverage....

HEY!!!! I have relatives in Davenport...

Lived in the QC for my whole life!

The iPhone 3G and 3Gs is a true GPS based system so anytime it has a clear view of the sky it works. The old 2G phone was a triangulation setup and got you within a few miles.

Yes.....the system is improving......

Yes it CAN and DOES track and triangulate and will catch up to you....

Eventually.....

They are a great tool.....but a landline is still better when available.....

If you are willing to bet your safety and security on them that is your choice......

I deal with it every day......and I will not......

I'm amazed that anyone would rely on anything that runs on batteries.......

Does your GPS tell you what town you are in???I'm asking.... I don't know:confused2:

The one I borrowed from a friend for a trip told me to turn left while I was on a bridge.....:ummm:

Not a traffic GPS but a real GPS that actually gives lat and long. I rely on batteries all the time, just make sure you have enough. There are times you are out in the middle of BFE and carring a portable generator just doesnt make any sense and is not very practical. Batteries were invented for a reason, use all technology to your advantage, carry a first aid kit with some sort if fire making device, flint works the best. I could go on and on but one of the fundamentals of any survival kit I own is batteries or a battery pack. Heck you can use a battery to start a fire :biglaugh:

My problem with land lines is the cost associated with it (super rip-off state and federal taxes on top of ridiculous pricing) and the fact that in a given area, you usually have a very small choice of providers. As an example, when I lived in Trampa, only Verizon and AT&T serviced my zip code, none of the others were available.
I've now been using Voip for over two years as my home phone line. It costs me less than $50 a year, and gives me free calls to US and Canada, including cell phones. In contrast, my old Verizon land line used to cost me about $50 a month, actually had a monthly call time limit for the price I paid, and no calls to Canada..
I'm aware that I can't make emergency calls from it, and do indeed rely on my cell phone for such emergencies.
But as this is the way the world is moving, it is really up to the 911 centers to keep up with the technology. After all, we all pay for them, don't we?
Still, it's good to know (and remember) that for now, in a real emergency you're better off running to the nearest land line for a reliable service. Of course, when you're away from built-up area, the cell phone/GPS is still your only friend..

Back