98 engine failure

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Bill

Reaction score
I just got a 98 vmax in a trade Sunday with a unknown engine noise. I was told the bike lost some power when the owner heard the noise and immediately cut it off and trailered it home. When I got it running, all I could hear was a very faint noise coming from the valve train. I took it down the road and it got slightly louder but maybe 2 miles down the road something broke and began to knock and the motor shutdown. Now the bike will turn over but very slowly. No oil leaks or holes in the block. Pull all the spark plugs no oil on them and they are not crushed.

I'm going to pull the valve covers today, but I was wondering if this is a non-interference engine or not. I'm really leaning towards a timing chain has broke.
What do you guys think?

I think you should pull the oil pan, inspect the pump screen, see what's in the pan?. You can still check the chain. I doubt it broke though. Good luck, but it sounds bearing related. I hope I'm wrong.
Steve

Cam chain failure is rare in these bikes but, anything is possible. Pulling the rear valvcover isn't too bad. There is a lot of crap to remove in order to pull the front cover. Its not difficult to do but it is time consuming.

I've seen one documented case of a cam snapping on this forum in the past 5 years.

I've seen quite a few cases of bottom end failure. Many times it results in severe engine block damage that is too costly for repair. Part of the block is used as a bearing surface for the crank.

I'd drain the oil and look for shiny particles. If thats what you find, my next step would be to pull the exhaust and drop the oil pan and look for damage.

Yep, it's junk. Maybe use one of the heads (maybe both). Time for a donor engine. We've got a few in various condition if you want to fix the bike.

Cam chain failure is rare in these bikes but, anything is possible. Pulling the rear valvcover isn't too bad. There is a lot of crap to remove in order to pull the front cover. Its not difficult to do but it is time consuming.

I've seen :damn angry:one documented case of a cam snapping:damn angry: on this forum in the past 5 years.

I've seen quite a few cases of:damn angry: bottom end failure:damn angry:. Many times it results in severe engine block damage that is too costly for repair. Part of the block is used as a bearing surface for the crank.

I'd drain the oil and look for shiny particles. If thats what you find, my next step would be to pull the exhaust and drop the oil pan and look for damage.

:confused2::bang head:

Attachments

• intake cam 2.jpg
    intake cam 2.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 63
  • VMax engine out.JPG
    VMax engine out.JPG
    134.8 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 61
You get it with a reported noise, you start it and it makes noise, you rode and it made more noise.
It breaks...
Who knows if it was salvageable when you got it but you sure did make sure it needed a replacement. Hope you did not have to pay too much for it. A motor can be had easy enough around here so hopefully someone local can supply you with something. Of course you can get all kinds of knowledge here for whatever you come across on the repair.

You get it with a reported noise, you start it and it makes noise, you rode and it made more noise.
It breaks...
Who knows if it was salvageable when you got it but you sure did make sure it needed a replacement. Hope you did not have to pay too much for it. A motor can be had easy enough around here so hopefully someone local can supply you with something. Of course you can get all kinds of knowledge here for whatever you come across on the repair.

Not the first thing I've blown up. But this is the fastest I've blown something up with the least amount of warning. I was positive a valve adjustment is all it needed. Boy was I wrong.

Rarely will the valve train make enough noise to need adjusted before a critical meltdown. Most of the time it's the main bearings that give out. You're comment of hard to start was the exact notifier I needed to know it was the spun bearing. Either way the lower block was likely toast.

I have good running short blocks and can get you setup. Either with the parts you need or with a complete engine. I may not be the cheapest source but I will stand behind what I sell.

Sean

If I remember right...only the 84 and 85 engine will swap into the Vmax...but check with Sean or one of the other Vmax guru's on here. Its very limited what will swap from a venture to a Vmax.

Get the 86-93 Venture 1300 and swap your parts over. Just use the shortblock. Nice upgrade in power. This is one of the things we do in our 1300 conversions. Keep in mind that about 50% of the engines we get are usuable as is without any work. If the blue bike has been kept dry then it should do the trick.

Sean

Back